IGNORED

How identical are the new joysticks for the 2600+ to the original? (i mean down to the millimeter accurate)

8bitwidgets.com

So apart from getting Atari bruise on my hand like back in the day, the only issue I’ve now had with the new joysticks is that my sweaty hand has loosened the glue on one of the corner studs :D I’ll need to get some superglue to keep it in position now.IMG_0373.thumb.jpeg.49d00b017fc8429ffa9b601a76d9d5d6.jpeg

• Haha 2

OK so I got my CX40+ in the mail and yea I see how it's just a wee bit smaller, but I believe I've found a nice solution that doesn't require a new design (this is good for existing owners who want to use CX40+ with it). I recently applied this fix for my Pong / Driving Paddle couplers which had a similar issue.  The Driving paddle is vertically taller by only 1-2mm but was enough to make inserting/removing a bit challenging but then of course compensating for that mean the traditional Pong paddles were now a smidge loose.  Until now.  

Since I start making these, I used mouse pads which I chop up into 1" squares (or whatever size is appropriate for a given coupler) and glue these on the bottom to help offer some grip on smooth surfaces.  What I've found is I can put strips of this inside where the Pong/Driving socket and now the CX40s go and this offers a nice in between padding.  Just enough to still let a normal CX40 fit while offering some added vertical thickness to hold it in place firmly.  So good news all around! 

image.thumb.jpeg.91f8813e124e1d3a735e1413ddc8c6ef.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7cb44d2b430180a9a82d61d67bbabbc9.jpeg

The Trooper is still in the mail coming.  In the past putting it in backwards worked, but I want to test it with the latest version to insure it sockets in nicely.  I'm optimistic that it will still snap in backwards as it did with the original but I won't know till I get it to test.   

Though backwards won't help the trooper work with the Turbo coupler (pictured above) but anyway that's also just getting that more niche within niche! :)

Thanks!

Caleb

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2024 at 12:01 PM, 8bitwidgets.com said:

OK so I got my CX40+ in the mail and yea I see how it's just a wee bit smaller, but I believe I've found a nice solution that doesn't require a new design (this is good for existing owners who want to use CX40+ with it). I recently applied this fix for my Pong / Driving Paddle couplers which had a similar issue.  The Driving paddle is vertically taller by only 1-2mm but was enough to make inserting/removing a bit challenging but then of course compensating for that mean the traditional Pong paddles were now a smidge loose.  Until now.  

Since I start making these, I used mouse pads which I chop up into 1" squares (or whatever size is appropriate for a given coupler) and glue these on the bottom to help offer some grip on smooth surfaces.  What I've found is I can put strips of this inside where the Pong/Driving socket and now the CX40s go and this offers a nice in between padding.  Just enough to still let a normal CX40 fit while offering some added vertical thickness to hold it in place firmly.  So good news all around! 

image.thumb.jpeg.91f8813e124e1d3a735e1413ddc8c6ef.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7cb44d2b430180a9a82d61d67bbabbc9.jpeg

The Trooper is still in the mail coming.  In the past putting it in backwards worked, but I want to test it with the latest version to insure it sockets in nicely.  I'm optimistic that it will still snap in backwards as it did with the original but I won't know till I get it to test.   

Though backwards won't help the trooper work with the Turbo coupler (pictured above) but anyway that's also just getting that more niche within niche! :)

Thanks!

Caleb

That would be perfect for Thrust+ DC but my PAL version does (and will?) not work on the 2600+ and driving controller is not supported yet (how ever Trakball support must come first).

I used to play Thrust+ DC with food pedals (joystick) and the driving controller.

those foot pedals are awesome looking :).   I love accessories and finding ways to combine them.  When I do get comfortable with Batari Basic, I definitely will be looking to make games that leverage more than a single joystick and fire button.

Also a quick update..   I recently got a Atari Flashback 2 joystick (CX-40 style) but it's a bit taller than the Trooper or CX-40..  so I'm making an attempt to make a FB2 compatible Robotron coupler..  I'm hoping I can get it just right to work and I have some material to experiment with that could offer some padding that would offer enough support to allow all three styles to work in the same coupler, but if I can't find an acceptable middle ground I'll just have a FB2 edition available for those who want one. 

3 hours ago, Dr Karnov said:

I'm going to give it a solid test and then post further thoughts 

I'm looking forward to your impression of it.