IGNORED

New(ish) 7800 Games and Accessories announced by Atari and Plaion compatible with the 2600+

Ben from Plaion

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, shane857 said:

Personally, I think it would be awesome if Atari released an 'Official' twin thumb stick controller

compatible with all 2600/7800 games that support it...

What about a version of the CX78+ for Omega Race. The CX26+two button. No need to change the outside case just rewire.

Edited by MrChickenz

2 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

In addition to this Idea, Atari could release a 2600 version of the CX78+ for Omega Race for the 2600. They wouldn’t have to change the outside case at all. Maybe just rewire the controller and call it the (CX26+) Exclusively for Omega Race.

For a single game they don't have rights to? How does that make sense? They already have a two-button controller that doesn't require two controller ports.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

For a single game they don't have rights to? How does that make sense? They already have a two-button controller that doesn't require two controller ports.

Ok Bill you’re always shooting down my Ideas! lol! I don’t believe they need rights for a third party controller!

I’m not talking about selling the game itself.

Edited by MrChickenz

Just now, MrChickenz said:

Ok Bill you’re always shooting down my Ideas! lol! I don’t believe they need rights for a third party controller!

I'm asking a legitimate question. Why would a business trying to make money duplicate a controller setup that only works with one game that's not even theirs and that only a tiny fraction of 2600 enthusiasts even own? And again, they literally sell their own two-button controller that doesn't use both controller ports. The CBS Omega Race second button was a pre-Crash kludge. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MrChickenz said:

It’s still a good game that can’t be played without the kludge controller.

It can be played with a ColecoVision joystick since the wiring is the same (And my mistake for forgetting that it uses a pass-through in port 1 to only use one controller port rather than both ports, so forget what I said earlier). Regardless, it's unnecessary for the game in the sense that it's been hacked to not even need the add-on, using controls more along the line of how Asteroids works. Again, without a new supply of cartridges - and no rights to reproduce said cartridge - there's really no point. Originals are difficult to come by. I'm not sure the 2600+ can even support the cartridge (haven't tried it myself) due to the special hardware inside. I know that some of the original cartridges don't even work anymore (I had one such copy).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

It can be played with a ColecoVision joystick since the wiring is the same (And my mistake for forgetting that it uses a pass-through in port 1 to only use one controller port rather than both ports, so forget what I said earlier). Regardless, it's unnecessary for the game in the sense that it's been hacked to not even need the add-on, using controls more along the line of how Asteroids works. Again, without a new supply of cartridges - and no rights to reproduce said cartridge - there's really no point. Originals are difficult to come by. I'm not sure the 2600+ can even support the cartridge (haven't tried it myself) due to the special hardware inside. I know that some of the original cartridges don't even work anymore (I had one such copy).

Just an FYi.

The 2600+ does support Omega Race.

Also, there will be a build coming shortly that supports Omega Race and 2 buttons with a 7800 controller.

Chris.

Edited by raz0red
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, raz0red said:

Just an FYi.

The 2600+ does support Omega Race.

Also, there will be a build coming shortly that supports 2 buttons with a 7800 controller.

Chris.

Problem solved, then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shane857 said:

Personally, I think it would be awesome if Atari released an 'Official' twin thumb stick controller

compatible with all 2600/7800 games that support it...

honestly i'd like to see one based loosely on the twin stick setup of the prolines, but ACTUALLY decent, cuz i could see something like that also working for flight sims, call it something like "The Commander" or something funny like that so it envokes the idea of Flight Sims and Shooters, cuz maybe we need F-18 Hornet II (The Return of the Pseudo Polygons) and Robotron: 2086 (2085 was actually a cakewalk break year, but 2086... you dont wanna know... you gotta play to know...) 

Also it just sounds like some cool accessory made back in the day, and i could see some kids actually getting it these days to try something new with retro hardware.

also port fortnite to 2600 please mr atari

also i wonder, if SNK ever does a deal with Atari, if they have to remake Ikari Warriors, they could do a Paddle-Joystick like the controller for the Sears Video Arcade II to kinda do the same thing and be a jack of all trades, plus they could make a special Ikari edition of said paddle-stick, and make the stick itself yellow like the Rotary Joystick in the arcade, Atari Does What Nintendont, ya know?

I am also waiting on Rescue On Fractalus 7800, one of these days it will come, along with odd simulation games or something... 

On 7/4/2024 at 6:02 AM, DhaemonX said:

Any chance you can reissue Activision carts?

I shouldn't answer this because i am not AT ALL knowledgeable in this, its like asking a kid who played 3 minutes of fortnite for warfare and construction advice in an active warzone but what the hell...

I think for games that apply for not just Activision but other big studios like Warner Bros, Midway, SNK, CAPCOM, SEGA and whoever owns Broderbund or some of the other players from the day that are not Nintendo.

It comes down to if they're going to actually give a fair price for licensing, apparently Warner Bros might be too over their heads about Atari Games Arcade IPs that barely anyone remembers (even if they were great) and licensing is likely the only option since Atari probably would never be able to buy Warner Bros or Activision, MAYBE BEST CASE if the 2600+ somehow becomes THE retro gaming platform and Atari makes bank that they could buy those decade old properties for too much money, but perhaps there would be a few good deals made with overly rich companies that nobody would expect, just... i know nobodys thinking this but, its never going to be Nintendo, I'm qualified enough to bet on that.

Posted (edited)

This is how my 2nd try at getting Food Fight from Amazon US arrived. First one arrived damaged but not this bad. Guess I will be ordering all my future Atari games directly from Atari US.

image.jpeg.a8a7c22e42531c22516e4355ea05a8b1.jpeg

Edited by MMarcoux66
  • Sad 3

22 minutes ago, MMarcoux66 said:

This is how my 2nd try at getting Food Fight from Amazon US arrived. First one arrived damaged but not this bad. Guess I will be ordering all my future Atari games directly from Atari US.

Was this sent through a transporter? Scotty once scrambled Captain Kirk’s molecules through the transporter!

• Haha 5

26 minutes ago, MMarcoux66 said:

This looks like some sealed but squashed copies of 40 year old games that you see on eBay. 🤣

I've bought a couple myself, Human Cannonball looked like this. Like it had been hit by a cannonball. 

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

This looks like some sealed but squashed copies of 40 year old games that you see on eBay. 🤣

I've bought a couple myself, Human Cannonball looked like this. Like it had been hit by a cannonball. 

Yeah, that was my first thought. I def found a few that looked like this after years of travels.

• Like 2