IGNORED

New(ish) 7800 Games and Accessories announced by Atari and Plaion compatible with the 2600+

Ben from Plaion

2 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

No, the version recently released by Atari is different than the Roms on Atariage. 

Ben did mention there is another title coming that is being “enhanced”.

I wonder if it is impossible mission atari 7800? 🤔 If they are just adding speech like berzerk enhanced and a slightly higher resolution then i'll probably pass. I have impossible mission 7800 so just speech added doesn't really matter. I'll just play the C64 version.

18 hours ago, MikeM_ said:

I think the reason Nintendo and Sega don’t follow suit is because they don’t have to. 

Their strength is in their 1st party titles that they still own. Mario, Sonic, Zelda, etc. it’s super easy for them to release greatest hits collections for modern consoles and satisfy a majority of the consumers. 

A lot of Atari’s top hits were licensed from, or produced by 3rd parties. Space Invaders, PAC-Man, Donkey Kong, Pitfall!…

Atari can’t easily repackage 2600 games that other companies own, so building a replica console that allows us to replay all our games, regardless of who owns the IP makes great sense. Plus they can re-release the IP they do have and generate new buzz in addition. 

And nintendo have the online subscription. Me personally No. 

I'm looking forward to being able to buy new paddles without an extra cartridge! As well the extensions will be very welcome.

I have some longer cables from Best Electronics on my CX40's, but the CX40+ uses a different (better and more modern) connector inside, so the extensions are the best option here I think.

The new hardware is too tight a fit in older hardware, (maybe round vs sharp angles on the DE9) but would otherwise make great options even for original hardware. I suspect they'll hold up a lot better long term than the originals.

While I've never actually played 7800, I'm sure the new controllers for that will be pretty awesome too!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, shane857 said:

I wonder if it is impossible mission atari 7800? 🤔 If they are just adding speech like berzerk enhanced and a slightly higher resolution then i'll probably pass. I have impossible mission 7800 so just speech added doesn't really matter. I'll just play the C64 version.

That would need to be licensed from a third party, so I doubt it. With that said, it's a good candidate since the original cartridge couldn't be beaten due to a bug, and certainly adding in speech would enhance it further. I'm still skeptical of any new work that hasn't already been done at some point, but we'll see.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

That would need to be licensed from a third party, so I doubt it. With that said, it's a good candidate since the original cartridge couldn't be beaten due to a bug, and certainly adding in speech would enhance it further. I'm still skeptical of any new work that hasn't already been done at some point, but we'll see.

Yes. And obviously the PAL version, which is completeable . 😂

16 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

Cost-to-benefit ratio, relative difficulty, etc., versus just releasing the games as-is.

Mr. Run & Jump is brand new, though.

i mean sure, they’re going to mine some nostalgia driven profit with their classic titles, that’s to be expected. 

just seemed like you were implying something nefarious in their motivations. 

Just now, John Stamos Mullet said:

Mr. Run & Jump is brand new, though.

i mean sure, they’re going to mine some nostalgia driven profit with their classic titles, that’s to be expected. 

just seemed like you were implying something nefarious in their motivations. 

I would never imply something like that. I would outright state it if I believed it. With that said, to be clear, it was always just about the economics of it all. Again, we'll see how it plays out.

On 1/29/2024 at 3:18 PM, Ben from Plaion said:

Aesthetically it looks exactly the same. Buttons feel the same but I've been engineering the DPAD to be better. I've been dropping info here and there in AA regarding what I've been doing. I just cant see anyone prefering the original CX78 to the CX78+. But that is my opinion. 

If I get time I'll do a video to show the internals of the CX78+ in the next few days.

Could you post pictures of the engineered differences between the original CX78 and the revised CX78+? It's pretty exciting to see old hardware come back like this.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Flyindrew said:

I hope Atari has plans to do a re-release of 7800 Alien Brigade. This game is simply fantastic and does not get the recognition it deserves.

That would be a great one. I own it on my VCS, but I'd love to have a cartridge of it to play on the 2600+.

I just played a game on the VCS, I got court martialed for executing civilians. (oops)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, scifidude79 said:

That would be a great one. I own it on my VCS, but I'd love to have a cartridge of it to play on the 2600+.

I just played a game on the VCS, I got court martialed for executing civilians. (oops)

Honestly, Alien Brigade is best experienced on a CRT with a light gun.

IMG_6247.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sramirez2008 said:

Honestly, Alien Brigade is best experienced on a CRT with a light gun.

IMG_6247.jpeg

No doubt. I knew it was a light gun game just from how it controls, but then I looked at the manual and saw for sure that it was a light gun game. Unfortunately, I have neither a CRT, an Atari 7800 or a light gun for it.