IGNORED

New(ish) 7800 Games and Accessories announced by Atari and Plaion compatible with the 2600+

Ben from Plaion

15 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Absolutely no sticking of the DPAD in the new CX78+ and I've tested it for dozens of hours. 

I did a blind test of about 10 people in the office and told them to close their eyes and feel both CX78 and CX78+ DPADs, all but one prefered CX78+ so that gave me confidence I was going in the right direction

The Pepsi Challenge!

5 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

Were the extension cables tested with the paddles? I have had some extension cables that will not work with the paddle controllers.

I really hope the new extension cables have been tested with Paddles AND the CX78+ pad?

A and B buttons use the same pins as the paddles.

I use now two old extension cables from my C64 days, as new ones from ebay caused me trouble on the 2600+

https://www.ebay.de/itm/331866892210?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=707-127634-2357-0&ssspo=g-TC2gc0Tu6&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=BvHDnFjVQp6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

When I played the first time Ikari Warriors via those cables on V1.0, I noticed when pressing the fire button continously, I sometimes threw a grenade, like pressing both buttons at the same time! These ebay cables caused phantom key presses (many but not all of them). On old hardware they work fine.

I fixed it by replacing the extension cables and if the new ones have been tested with paddles and the new 7800 pad, I would get some.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

I really hope the new extension cables have been tested with Paddles AND the CX78+ pad?

A and B buttons use the same pins as the paddles.

I use now two old extension cables from my C64 days, as new ones from ebay caused me trouble on the 2600+

https://www.ebay.de/itm/331866892210?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=707-127634-2357-0&ssspo=g-TC2gc0Tu6&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=BvHDnFjVQp6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

When I played the first time Ikari Warriors via those cables on V1.0, I noticed when pressing the fire button continously, I sometimes threw a grenade, like pressing both buttons at the same time! These ebay cables caused phantom key presses (many but not all of them). On old hardware they work fine.

I fixed it by replacing the extension cables and if the new ones have been tested with paddles and the new 7800 pad, I would get some.

The extension cables have been extensively tested by the factory and me with CX40+ Joystick, CX30+ Paddles and CX78+ Gamepad.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Glorkbot said:

The two 7800 games I most want reproduced are Ballblazer and Dark Chambers. I guess Disney owns Ballblazer now? I've read that Atari licensed Dark Chambers but I don't know if they own it outright.

I'd also love to see a re-release of the 7800 version of Dark Chambers, I'd definitely buy it. From the game-play I've seen of it on YouTube, it looks great!

I have the 2600 version of Dark Chambers and really enjoy it. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

One of the things I disliked about the Europads was that the silicone membranes for the contacts on the D-pad were a bit too tall, so they traveled a bit before contact - and in doing so, sometimes the edge of the d-pad circle would catch on/under the frame and stick a bit.

Also  they were really light, compared to the NES and SMS pads, so they felt kinda flimsy.

Yes, they caused my hands to cramp less than the painlines,  but more than the blocky NES pads. 

1 hour ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Aesthetically it looks exactly the same. Buttons feel the same but I've been engineering the DPAD to be better. I've been dropping info here and there in AA regarding what I've been doing. I just cant see anyone prefering the original CX78 to the CX78+. But that is my opinion. 

If I get time I'll do a video to show the internals of the CX78+ in the next few days.

That sounds promising.

46 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

The extension cables have been extensively tested by the factory and me with CX40+ Joystick, CX30+ Paddles and CX78+ Gamepad.

Nice.  This means that there are 9 wires in the cable... 1 for each of the 9 pins... since joystick and paddles essentially require all 9 pins if you are supporting both.

• Like 1

I just wanted to say thanks to @Ben from Plaion and everyone at Atari and the associated companies for releasing good games and accessories at good prices and without any limited edition stank associated with it. I preordered Fatal Run and Ninja Golf as well as a couple paddle sets. I was kind of hoping for another combo set with some four player games in a multicart, but I'm not going to scoff at new paddles for $25 a set.

I already have good extension cables, good controllers for 7800, and my old Food Fight from back in the day.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I was at work when I got the email from Atari about this earlier. I'm so happy to see not only the new gamepad, but also some cartridges getting the re-release treatment. I ordered the CX-78+, Fatal Run and Ninja Golf. I already own Food Fight, but it's tempting to grab it anyway for that color artwork on the cartridge, lovely box and the manual.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, 7800Knight said:

I will be pre-ordering Ninja Golf and Fatal Run.  I'm glad to hear that they are getting manuals.

I watched this video a moment ago.

The title makes a point.  I wonder why Nintendo and Sega don't re-issue original cartridges.

I watched that one too because I'm subscribed to his channel. Sega especially would be smart to do something like this. They don't have the facilities they once did, but they've teamed up with Retro-Bit in the past for controllers and other companies for making consoles. They could do so as well. I'd imagine a Genesis that plays cartridges would do very well. And, since the Genesis was always backwards compatible, they could release an adapter for playing Master System cartridges and they could re-release some cartridges, like Atari is doing. I don't know if Nintendo would go for it, though. They seem more keen to have their classic games on their subscription service on the Switch. But, you never know. Seeing how the 2600+ has taken off and how there's obviously a market for it and for cartridges and accessories, they may decide it's a good idea too.

• Like 2