IGNORED

[CLOSED] 2024 Lynx High Score Club: Round 1 - Blue Lightning and Growing Ties

jgkspsx

Atari Lynx High Score Club

HSC rules

This round we’ll be playing Blue Lightning for the first time in years! It's not the Afterburner clone people think it is - it's more like G-LOC, but it has its own thing going on.

We are also playing the mind-bending homebrew Growing Ties. We will be playing the game jam version for a level playing field, but you should get the full game from AtariAge!

Round Over: Friday, March 1, 12:00am International Date Line West

Blue Lightning

Manual / instructions / discussion: Manual

Settings - just start! no password.

HSC Record: Highest score: @EricDeLee - 217200; Lowest score at end of level 3: None yet!

Description: Fly the missions and score the most you can! Or... the least you can! Since level 3 can be cheesed for ridiculous scores, let's see how low you can score and still finish mission 3! If you're trying to maximize score, don't miss out on the canyon bonuses!

Medal Thresholds:

Platinum Medal 1: Score the most in a game!

Platinum Medal 2: Score the least you can by the end of level 3! Take a photo on the level end screen or at the start of level 4.

(You can only win one platinum medal, so if somebody wins both one of them is going to the closer #2 contender.)

Gold Medal: Finish mission 5!

Silver Medal: Finish mission 4!

Bronze Medal: Finish mission 3!

Scores:

1. Your name here!

2. Your name here!

3. Your name here!

4. Your name here!

5. Your name here!

Growing Ties

We're playing the original (?) version of Growing Ties, the first Lynx game by the great @drludos, which just got a snazzy physical release in an enhanced version from AtariAge!

Growing Ties Deluxe Box

Manual / instructions / discussion: 

Download link: https://drludos.itch.io/growing-ties

Settings: Start from a clean save file with no previous scores and play through as far as you can get without continuing. If you can't figure out how to clear your save file, play online here: https://drludos.itch.io/growing-ties

HSC Record: First year!

Description: Cut the right length and color of ties! Don't disappoint your customers! Remember, it's not a race, even if you feel like you should hurry!

Medal Thresholds:

Platinum Medal: Score the most in a game!

Gold Medal: Finish level 6!

Silver Medal: Finish level 4!

Bronze Medal: Finish level 3!

Scores:

1. Your name here!

2. Your name here!

3. Your name here!

4. Your name here!

5. Your name here!

* Achieved bonus points

Current season point standings:

Name Total Total Retail Total Indie

Any corrections please post. Please put your score in text in your post please to make my life a little easier. Thanks for joining us!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, jblenkle said:

Growing Ties - Level 7

Not 100% sure how this is being scored? By Level with no continues? If so I completed Level 7 before I failed to reach the required points on Level 8.

Yep, exactly! That's why we need a clean save file since otherwise your older scores might be shown instead of your current ones.

2 minutes ago, JagChris said:

Ok I started from level 1, no continues. I'll try to take more informed pics.

Thanks! Here are the medal criteria again:

Platinum Medal 1: Score the most in a game!

Platinum Medal 2: Score the least you can by the end of level 3! (Take a photo of the level end screen.)

(You can only win one platinum medal, so if somebody wins both one of them is going to the closer #2 contender.)

Gold Medal: Finish mission 5!

Silver Medal: Finish mission 4!

Bronze Medal: Finish mission 3!

Ahh, the .lyx version worked fine. Weird.

Note that there is no final score shown on the menu for a level of Growing Ties you fail, so please take a screenshot of the game over screen!

I have gotten a lot better. Total score 1774. If you can please add up your score - otherwise I am going to be spending a lot of time with a calculator!

IMG_3652.thumb.jpeg.0f0df5d2105835b5e3b77386234898d6.jpeg

IMG_3655.thumb.jpeg.6e5fdc0dc8e490fb2d72a6eb5b4b7c1a.jpeg

2 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Nice work! The canyon is a lot easier than it seems at first - watch my video and train your eye. If you look for narrowing rock pillars, that's the safe way. Widening ones are death.

Yeah I noticed that while playing. 

signal-2024-02-05-14-26-47-412.thumb.jpg.dbfdd67936a7c596dc643178ac901ad4.jpg

Edited by JagChris
  • Like 1