IGNORED

SidecarT

Just wondering if anyone has used the SidecarT - a new device that plugs into the ST cartridge port and uses a Raspberry Pi PicoW to emulate ST cartridges, floppies and download these files over the internet https://sidecartridge.com/

Apparently 400 of these have shipped as of February, 2024 though these are currently sold out. The author is still calling this device early access.

• Like 1

I also have one. I generally just use it as a RTC (very good), but I've tried a few ROMs and they work well.

It's still very much a WIP with many possibilities (networking, dongle emulation) yet to explore but my gut feeling is that these things are possible.

The project is open source, so anyone can get involved. 

On 2/2/2024 at 4:17 PM, Forrest said:

How compatible is it with most programs? How long does it take to load games? Any other comments?

If you use it as a disk emulator it doesn't load the game. You mount the whole *.st (or *.msa) as a floppy which take some time (pretty fast). Then the disk is accessed on A:\. So then it will load as a normal disk. All disks doesn't work though. It depends how the game/program is accessing the floppydrive. So it is used sort of like a gotek.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have 2 on the way to me. Looking forward to giving this a try. Based on the original out of Spain?(aka the sidecart site)  Is there a 3d case designed yet?

James

Edited by Bikerbob

This works really well since for me there is something wrong with my ASCI (just doesn’t work) on my 520STM. I am new to the Atari ST and really don’t have any original hardware peripherals. A 3d printable case would be cool, also a cartridge right angle connector would make it great. Thanks

I’ve ordered 2 without the PicoW header/socket installed for $24 each plus $11 shipping. The PicoW is available locally at MicroCenter for $5.99

I checked the SidecarT documentation page and noticed “It seems that SidecarT cannot talk with computers with CPUs faster than 8Mhz. Future versions will eventually support higher CPU speed after appropiate testing period.” There is a workaround for some machines “Change the CPU speed to 8Mhz without cache for compatibility. Note: starting in beta-v0.0.14 Sidecart supports MegaSTE in 16Mhz and cache enabled.”

On 3/11/2024 at 7:00 PM, mickster said:

I have got one and it works very well.   I updated to latest firmware and then loaded a few carts from the internet.  I didn't even bother with a sdcard yet.

I got mine and I have tried getting it working on my stfm so far no luck. Running .15 beta, but I am not able to get anything working on my monochrome monitor, wonder if that's the issue.

James