IGNORED

Good Atari 7800 games

shane857

3 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

Yes. I purchased them when they first came out (few years ago). I think they were part of the “Last Chance” sale but no longer available.

Oh, that's a shame. I'll have to keep an eye out on ebay for them. I expect if they do at crazy prices because they are no longer available thou. Please Atari can you re-release Moon cresta, Astro blaster and Astro fighter? Pleeease? 😂

9 minutes ago, shane857 said:

Oh, that's a shame. I'll have to keep an eye out on ebay for them. I expect if they do at crazy prices because they are no longer available thou. Please Atari can you re-release Moon cresta, Astro blaster and Astro fighter? Pleeease? 😂

This was the original thread listing out the Last Chance sale games.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Has anyone who is NOT affiliated with Atari looked at doing a re-release for all these stranded games?

I imagine the answer is something like, "Yes, but ..."  Too much overhead, too many legal hassles, etc.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, shane857 said:

Same here. I gave up on the c64 mini after the included joystick snapped! Cheap crappy build. That would never happen with Atari products.

LOL, I was the manufacturing manager for those Joysticks! That first batch did take IIRC 11 newton meters of force to snap, which is quite a lot of force. Subsequent manufacturing runs of those Joystcks did have the shaft strenthened. If you want I can send you the third generation of C64 joysticks where the internals were totally re-designed to use clicky clicky microswitches, DM me.

Edited by Ben from Plaion
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

LOL, I was the manufacturing manager for those Joysticks! That first batch did take IIRC 11 newton meters of force to snap, which is quite a lot of force. Subsequent manufacturing runs of those Joystcks did have the shaft strenthened. If you want I can send you the third generation of C64 joysticks where the internals were totally re-designed to use clicky clicky microswitches, DM me.

Guess I'm strong handed. Thanks appreciate it . 😂

2 hours ago, LS650 said:

Has anyone who is NOT affiliated with Atari looked at doing a re-release for all these stranded games?

I imagine the answer is something like, "Yes, but ..."  Too much overhead, too many legal hassles, etc.

If I can ever find out who owns the rights to Tax Avoiders, I would make them an offer.... It's a weird little game that I'm strangely fond of.

On 2/5/2024 at 12:12 PM, LS650 said:

I received an eBay purchase of Food Fight literally the day before the announcement. 

I only paid $20 plus shipping, so I'm alright with that, but it makes me think I should hold off on purchasing any more used 7800 carts that are Atari IP.

Bird in the hand as I see it, if I want it now and it's not outrageously priced better to just get it instead of the uncertainty.

Saying that, I found a loose Food Fight for $2

On 2/4/2024 at 8:52 PM, shane857 said:

The Atari 7800 didn't have a vast amount of games. What is everybody playing on the 2600+ ? Original games and homebrew 🤔

May not be playing them - as of yet on an actual 2600+, as I’d want the FW-update to be in place so I can play as much as possible without worry it won’t work or interuption -, but I’ve come to find many 7800 originals, homebrews and hacks making the 7800 the ‘cult-system’ I guess I hoped it would be.

So, keep in mind, these are titles I play on original hardware + things like the Dragonfly; here is a list of games I have (had) lots of fun with, or impressed me: 

-Commando  9,5/10

-1942   9/10

-Ikari Warriors  7,5/10

-Food Fight  8,5/10

-Ninja Golf   9/10

-Xevious   8/10

-Scrapyard Dog (original + KevinMos3+me-hacks; yes, cute hero and warm/bright palette can mean so much to me) 9/10

-Galaga  8/10

-Mario Bros  7,5/10

-Donkey Kong PK  9/10

-Pole Position 2  7,5/10

-Motor Psycho   7,5/10

-Tower Toppler   7/10

-Rampage   6,5/10

-Kung Fu Master (original & KevinMos3 grfx hack)  6,5/10

-Klax  8/10

-Midnight Mutants   9/10

-F 18 Hornet (its a simulator, your fighter plane have weight, like in real life - get over it, and have a semi-polygonal 3D environment which is highly iinteractive).  7/10

-Alien Brigade   9/10

-Sirius  (best side-scrolling shmup on the system, bullet rain from and enemies swarm; no slow down or flicker ever. Lacks upbeat music akin to Salamander though) 9/10

-Rikki and Vikki  9,5/10

-Fatal Run   7,5/10

-Robotron 2084   9/10 

-Double Dragon (this could use a gameplay hack, something thats doable, and the idea is in my head, yet kick, don’t punch, and you can have some fun here. I had)  7/10

-Plutos  (should wish I’d had real opportunity to play it long-session 2P, so may be more there)   8/10

-Dark Chambers   7/10

-Xenophobe  (little variation to background, only one character, some aliens lack, plays crisp though) 6/10

-Bentley Bears Crystal Quest  9,5/10

-Dig Dug   8/10

-Joust   8/10

-Tank Command (yes, taking it as an action-strategy shooter, not pure action, it can provide fun)   6/10

-Pac Man Collection (+ 40th Edition) 9,5/10 

-Dragons Havoc (lacks some firepower or progressive power ups, but glorious and atmospheric graphics)   7,5/10

-Knight Guy (Castle Days)   7,5/10

-Froggie (particulary pokey version)    8,5/10

- - -

All scores includes my own personal tastes and preferences as well as my attempt at weighing qualities or lack-off such, by more ‘objective’ standards.

- - - 

Somehow, I’m quite sure I’ve forgotten some stuff. But here goes.

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 3

Oh, how I wish many of the more unoffically/fan-made top-titles could see some official, lincensed release some day.

And how I’d wish that top-titles or classic-titles or unique originals, - now rare and difficult to obtain -, could be embraced by some company dedicated to re-releasing old titles under license… if not Atari themselves eventually comes to the point where that is possible.

• Like 3

my absolute all time favorites:

2 players --

Asteroids
Centipede
Dark Chambers
Rikki & Vikki
Space Invaders by Bob Decrescenzo
Meteor Shower
Joust

1 player --

Knight Guy
EXO
Scramble by Bob Decrescenzo
Serpentine
Time Salvo

Galaga

Froggie

Edited by Stechmann

Won these earlier. Collecting for the Atari 2600+ and my original 2600 is costing me a fortune! 😂

I would rather pay money for these games thou than ps4/ps5/xbox. Physical media is sadly a dying thing at the moment...

We all need to correct that. 💪

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, shane857 said:

Won these earlier. Collecting for the Atari 2600+ and my original 2600 is costing me a fortune! 😂

I would rather pay money for these games thou than ps4/ps5/xbox. Physical media is sadly a dying thing at the moment...

We all need to correct that. 💪

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

I would say otherwise, but if I had spent the equivalent on PlayStation my PS Store wishlist would be empty 😳🤪😅

• Like 1

On 2/6/2024 at 4:04 PM, ChopperCommando said:

If I can ever find out who owns the rights to Tax Avoiders, I would make them an offer.... It's a weird little game that I'm strangely fond of.

I reached out to the person that owns the accounting firm that was listed as the registered agent for Dunhill Electronics.  He remembered the name of the agent, but couldn't recall anything about the company.

If anyone has access to a legal search system I would suggest looking to see if there is any bankruptcy cases with these names:

Dunhill Electronics

American Videogame Leasing

H. & L. Schwartz

If they just closed there doors with no paper trail, it is harder.  Then it probably just reverts to the stockholders, and not sure if that would be filed with the state or not.  It definitely isn't on the free search part.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Atari_Warlord said:

If anyone has access to a legal search system I would suggest looking to see if there is any bankruptcy cases with these names:

Dunhill Electronics

American Videogame Leasing

H. & L. Schwartz

This is the copyright page for Tax Avoiders.  And I found this page claiming that Dunhill Electronics' license to operate was suspended back in the '80s by the California tax board, possibly for failing to pay taxes.  There is one contact listed for them named Jon Simmonds.  The contact info is for an accounting firm named Duban.  Is that who you contacted?

Also, it looks like, according to the copyright page, H&L Schwartz and American Videogame Leasing are one and the same company, or at least one is owned by the other.

Edited by ChopperCommando

4 hours ago, ChopperCommando said:

This is the copyright page for Tax Avoiders.  And I found this page claiming that Dunhill Electronics' license to operate was suspended back in the '80s by the California tax board, possibly for failing to pay taxes.  There is one contact listed for them named Jon Simmonds.  The contact info is for an accounting firm named Duban.  Is that who you contacted?

Also, it looks like, according to the copyright page, H&L Schwartz and American Videogame Leasing are one and the same company, or at least one is owned by the other.

Yes, I contacted Dennis Duban.  His accounting firm is still located at the same address.  He could not recall anything about the companies. 

• Thanks 1