IGNORED

Good Atari 7800 games

shane857

12 hours ago, Maztr_0n said:

also on Ikari Warriors i feel like the reason it feels really solid despite the tiny sprites that are hard to tell when they're dead until they start spinning around, it doesnt have that many frames of animation but it runs fast, has strafing, and a bunch of stuff that makes it better than the NES version in almost every way, except the spam grenades the enemies do, i mean on the NES they were annoying but they only shot 1 grenade at a time, they throw grenades like machine guns!

How did clark ever survive this to go on to Metal Slug and KOF?

I still think commando is better. Although I don't have commando, but I've played it on another emulator. Still, I agree that Ikari Warriors was a bit of a dumpster fire on NES. It wasn't until I watched AVGN's episode on it that I realized how bad it was tho. 

I remember playing Ikari Warriors 2 on NES back in the day as a child and I do remember thinking, WTF is this ? this isn't anything like the first game's arcade version I played at Chucky Cheeses.... lol.

COME ON LETS FIGHT

2 hours ago, tradyblix said:

I still think commando is better. Although I don't have commando, but I've played it on another emulator. Still, I agree that Ikari Warriors was a bit of a dumpster fire on NES. It wasn't until I watched AVGN's episode on it that I realized how bad it was tho. 

I remember playing Ikari Warriors 2 on NES back in the day as a child and I do remember thinking, WTF is this ? this isn't anything like the first game's arcade version I played at Chucky Cheeses.... lol.

COME ON LETS FIGHT

Yeah commando is better, and perhaps Ikari could be better too, like making the hit enemy sprites completely red like in the arcade or doing the wide arm dancing like in the NES version, as you might not be able to tell when they get hit until a few spins, literally... And those enemies shoot too many grenades, which is the annoying part.

But that and the fact that technically the NES version is an Extended version of the arcade game, the original had the 5 gates and the dead guy at the desk whilst the NES version features a second final boss, more vehicles, enemy types. Basically its an Expansion Pak/DLC for the original, and as tedious as the NES version is, i'd like to see the 7800 version with this extra content someday...

all that aside, yeah its better on 7800 than NES, shame its so expensive though, if it was half the price of Commando it would be a must have for those wanting more run&gun shmup action

ironically also, Ikari II on NES has the positive of a branching narrative, like apparently theres in-game lore about how you went from the jungles to the fucking moon, but yeah, if Ikari II comes to 7800, it better have sampled speech

WARRIORS.... SHOW SOME GUTS!!!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Maztr_0n said:

Yeah commando is better, and perhaps Ikari could be better too, like making the hit enemy sprites completely red like in the arcade or doing the wide arm dancing like in the NES version, as you might not be able to tell when they get hit until a few spins, literally... And those enemies shoot too many grenades, which is the annoying part.

But that and the fact that technically the NES version is an Extended version of the arcade game, the original had the 5 gates and the dead guy at the desk whilst the NES version features a second final boss, more vehicles, enemy types. Basically its an Expansion Pak/DLC for the original, and as tedious as the NES version is, i'd like to see the 7800 version with this extra content someday...

all that aside, yeah its better on 7800 than NES, shame its so expensive though, if it was half the price of Commando it would be a must have for those wanting more run&gun shmup action

ironically also, Ikari II on NES has the positive of a branching narrative, like apparently theres in-game lore about how you went from the jungles to the fucking moon, but yeah, if Ikari II comes to 7800, it better have sampled speech

WARRIORS.... SHOW SOME GUTS!!!

Yeah I still enjoyed it even tho the color palette on NES was way too monochrome at times. But, as you say, that would be a great title to have as a 7800 homebrew. perhaps the original game code could be used as a basis... I don't know what the rights issues are, that seems to be the killer. But hey, one can dream. I guess theres' plenty more arcade conversions we need first, I'd love to see a 7800 Gradius for example. 

I know the market is probably super niche, but it would be really cool if some of these companies that owned the IP commissioned talented authors to make 7800 carts for use on the 2600+ that would give the console a bit more life. I already bought some amazing carts for it that never existed at the time

Edited by tradyblix

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, tradyblix said:

Yeah I still enjoyed it even tho the color palette on NES was way too monochrome at times. But, as you say, that would be a great title to have as a 7800 homebrew. perhaps the original game code could be used as a basis... I don't know what the rights issues are, that seems to be the killer. But hey, one can dream. I guess theres' plenty more arcade conversions we need first, I'd love to see a 7800 Gradius for example. 

I know the market is probably super niche, but it would be really cool if some of these companies that owned the IP commissioned talented authors to make 7800 carts for use on the 2600+ that would give the console a bit more life. I already bought some amazing carts for it that never existed at the time

The interesting thing about stuff like Ikari Warriors (at least compared to commando) is that, they are technically still relevant and their latest appearance is technically 2022, because the characters from Ikari Warriors eventually appeared in Metal Slug and then King of Fighters, the newest entry of which is from Feb 2022, so while the characters are updated heavily from their original appearance, they have lore and additional characters now, it would kinda be like if the guy from commando was a main character in Resident Evil, so newer Ikari Warriors Ports/Re-releases seem extremely possible depending on what SNK is looking for.

We're not gonna get an Ikari IV but, it would be interesting to see if this game would be marketed as the origin of the Ikari Warriors from KOF and Metal Slug.

Maybe not, and even if i dont think this means we will start getting Neo Geo ports to 7800, but it'd be cool to see reissues or something of that and Vanguard.

Edited by Maztr_0n
  • Like 1

also weird thing is , the best way i can explain the controls of the NES version, its like playing Mario 64 on DS/With a D-Pad, no camera controls, set to slow walking speed, and its a 2D NES game.

Why Ikari never made it to SMS or Genesis either is mystifying but thats segas loss, SPEAKING OF WHICH TIME SOLDIERS!

9 minutes ago, Maztr_0n said:

SPEAKING OF WHICH TIME SOLDIERS!

how did i also forget Guerilla War? The NES version is even a classic, cuz it was actually made with hardware in mind, really excellent one... its like Cuban Commando.

On 7/3/2024 at 8:52 PM, MrChickenz said:

Dr.Karnov I see two Food Fights but no Fight Night!

You are missing out on one good boxing game for the 7800!

Of course you have a few I don’t have!

IMG_1017.jpeg

Is Fight Night worth getting then?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dr Karnov said:

Is Fight Night worth getting then?

In my opinion I like it. Others have different opinions. It’s a good boxing game for the 7800.

If you know how the controls work it can be a lot of fun!

I hold the fire button down, the joystick determines the punch.

Releasing the fire button allows you to move your boxer and block.

You have a decent 7800 collection there, what’s one more! lol.

IMG_1108.jpeg

Edited by MrChickenz

On 7/8/2024 at 7:03 PM, Maztr_0n said:

how did i also forget Guerilla War? The NES version is even a classic, cuz it was actually made with hardware in mind, really excellent one... its like Cuban Commando.

I just played that on a mame emulator, but it seems stuck in one direction, firing up and to the left. I probably need to get a better rom. 

1 hour ago, tradyblix said:

I just played that on a mame emulator, but it seems stuck in one direction, firing up and to the left. I probably need to get a better rom. 

yeah perhaps i played it via SNK collection on Switch, it also contains the NES versions, its basically as far as i can tell, another rotary shooter, albeit the arcade one is kind of brutal (as in violent) for its time, with blood and hostage casualties.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2024 at 4:34 PM, DEANJIMMY said:

Robotron 2084, Commando, Xevious, Crystal Quest, BnQ, Scramble, Galaga, Froggie, Popeye, Plutos (two player) are currently maybe my favorites.

Ninja Golf, Food Fight, Choplifter, Pole Position 2, Frenzy, Asteroids Deluxe, Beef Drop, Pac Man Collection, Midnight Mutants, Beef Drop, Dark Chambers, Ikari Warriors, Basketbrawl, Centipede, Dark Chambers, Space Invaders, Donkey Kong,... all good games🤙

Edit: Hat Trick is a good two player game, even the reviews are not good.

I am waiting for T:me Salvo and Knight Guy in Low Res World.

Will preorder A.R.T.I and EXO🤙

that's a lot of good 7800 - Galaga for 7800 just like the arcade classic or has bit of a difference to the arcade classic?

On 7/10/2024 at 9:07 PM, Prince Manic said:

that's a lot of good 7800 - Galaga for 7800 just like the arcade classic or has bit of a difference to the arcade classic?

Galaga 7800 is ok. NES version is closer to the arcade in my opinion...

• Like 1

On 7/10/2024 at 3:07 PM, Prince Manic said:

ditto with what shane said, its a good conversion, but the NES version is ahead of it in many regards in terms of at least being arcade accurate.

• Like 1

I still like Galaga 7800. It's slower than the arcade. But what's cool about it in 2024 is that you can play galaga arcade easily on multiple platforms. So having a slightly different version on 7800 is pretty neat for that alone. I still enjoy it. 

• Like 4

On 7/11/2024 at 4:49 PM, shane857 said:

Galaga 7800 is ok. NES version is closer to the arcade in my opinion...

On 7/11/2024 at 5:14 PM, Maztr_0n said:

ditto with what shane said, its a good conversion, but the NES version is ahead of it in many regards in terms of at least being arcade accurate.

I see but I'll still get it if I don't play it via my NES Mini of this or my mini arcade of Galaga I have - I will have three ways to play galaga if I get the 7800 one.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Prince Manic said:

I see but I'll still get it if I don't play it via my NES Mini of this or my mini arcade of Galaga I have - I will have three ways to play galaga if I get the 7800 one.

Totally

37 minutes ago, shane857 said:

Planet Smashers looks like a decent shooter for the 7800/2600+. What's everybody's opinion of this game?

It is passable.  I have played it and beaten it, but it is not going to wow you.  The ending is neat.  Most people hate the sounds, but game sounds are not something that bother me usually.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, shane857 said:

Planet Smashers looks like a decent shooter for the 7800/2600+. What's everybody's opinion of this game?

It is Ok... 

Plutos is a much better vertical scrolling shooter but sold out at gooddealgames.

They have Sirius on stock, which scrolls horizontal instead.

Both are prototypes, Plutos is great for CoOp.

I remember Sirius to be good but tough, need to play it again🤔

Both are NTSC but run on PAL 7800, you might want to shift/zoom your screen a bit on your TV on the 2600+ they run fine.

If the IPs are out of reach, I hope that some good shooters get a release with different setting or as a new game based on the existing engines. We need some good shooters next to Xevious.

20240714_152854.jpg

Edited by DEANJIMMY
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DEANJIMMY said:

It is Ok... 

Plutos is a much better vertical scrolling shooter but sold out at gooddealgames.

They have Sirius on stock, which scrolls horizontal instead.

Both are prototypes, Plutos is great for CoOp.

I remember Sirius to be good but tough, need to play it again🤔

Both are NTSC but run on PAL 7800, you might want to shift/zoom your screen a bit on your TV on the 2600+ they run fine.

If the IPs are out of reach, I hope that some good shooters get a release with different setting or as a new game based on the existing engines. We need some good shooters next to Xevious.

20240714_152854.jpg

Yes, I agree. The 7800 needs more shooters. Didn't Atariage used to sell Scramble and Gorf for the 7800? Both are unavailable now

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, shane857 said:

Yes, I agree. The 7800 needs more shooters. Didn't Atariage used to sell Scramble and Gorf for the 7800? Both are unavailable now

Scramble 7800 is great but got removed from AA shop. I have it as PAL cart.

Gooddealgames seem to sell a hack of it as Super Cobra. I don't have that cart but IF(!) it is based on the Scramble 7800 from AA it should be good🤔

Guess, you could ask them...

Edited by DEANJIMMY
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Maztr_0n said:

besides my endless love for run and guns, i will say, i heard ms pac-man on 7800 is the best home version, is that true? it is quite fun

It's a pretty solid version. It's not really arcade accurate tho and is kinda like Galaga 7800 in that regard. But I enjoy it.

However, I'm kind of partial to the 2600 version of that game, despite the downgrade in graphics. There's just something about it. 

Out of all my pac man games I'd rank them like this:

1.) Jr Pac Man 7800 (amazing)

1.) Pac Man Collection 7800 (if I owned it on cart. The game modes alone make this awesome)

2.) Baby Pac Man 7800 (I love pinball) 

3.) Ms Pac Man 7800

4.) Ms Pac Man 2600

5.) Jr Pac Man 2600 (it's great but too hard) 

6.) Pac Man 2600 (maybe not as terrible as its rep, but not good. I know the programmer was rushed, so he did his best)

Edited by tradyblix

4 hours ago, tradyblix said:

It's a pretty solid version. It's not really arcade accurate tho and is kinda like Galaga 7800 in that regard. But I enjoy it.

However, I'm kind of partial to the 2600 version of that game, despite the downgrade in graphics. There's just something about it. 

Out of all my pac man games I'd rank them like this:

1.) Jr Pac Man 7800 (amazing)

1.) Pac Man Collection 7800 (if I owned it on cart. The game modes alone make this awesome)

2.) Baby Pac Man 7800 (I love pinball) 

3.) Ms Pac Man 7800

4.) Ms Pac Man 2600

5.) Jr Pac Man 2600 (it's great but too hard) 

6.) Pac Man 2600 (maybe not as terrible as its rep, but not good. I know the programmer was rushed, so he did his best)

i own a copy of Jr Pac Man fitted with the Bleach Manga hack, because oddly despite never reading the manga, i vaguely feel nostalgic about it + it was the way, no joke that i played that version of Jr Pac Man first.

know thats random but yeah.

• Like 1