IGNORED

Good Atari 7800 games

shane857

16 hours ago, Maztr_0n said:

i own a copy of Jr Pac Man fitted with the Bleach Manga hack, because oddly despite never reading the manga, i vaguely feel nostalgic about it + it was the way, no joke that i played that version of Jr Pac Man first.

know thats random but yeah.

Do you have a link to what that is ? 

1 hour ago, Intellivision Master said:

There is an easy skill level where only one ghost chases you.  https://atariage.com/manual_html_page.php?SoftwareID=1098

Yeah, but that's kinda... cheating lol. But considering I can't really play it on the normal modes, maybe that's what I have to do, lol.

It's a good one, but the 7800 version blows it out of the water. And is far more accurate. Still, it's possibly the best 2600 pac man. 

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 1

On 2/4/2024 at 2:52 PM, shane857 said:

The Atari 7800 didn't have a vast amount of games. What is everybody playing on the 2600+ ? Original games and homebrew 🤔

The only two I have are Galaga and Pole Position 2.  Galaga is an excellent port and well worth the purchase.

Pole Position 2 is good because of the extra tracks, but I actually prefer the 2600 Pole Position better.  The 2600 version plays MUCH faster than the 7800 version and seems more challenging.  It seems when they made the 7800 PP2, they slowed down the action.  Still fun, don't get me wrong, but not as fun as the 2600 PP1.

I did see that a few years ago, someone released a homebrew of Baby Pac Man and I would LOVE to find that one.  I had the actual arvade machine and clocked many hours on it.  I even got to invisible mazes once.  I sold it last year and miss it, so if I can find a 7800 homebrew of it, I'll grab it.

Edited by Ripweade
  • Like 2

I do now have Mario Bros and Pole Position II on top of 2024 Fatal Run, Joust and Super Huey... and yeah they're fun, i mean even on emulator i liked the Choplifter port despite it being made by an infamous 7800 house... so this platform is indeed exciting.

• Like 1

i have to say, Alien Brigade was a cool send off, and its fun even without a light gun, but probably way harder lacking it, it's cool kind of seeing an (intentional or not) mature title this time... also i know the box story is just a throwaway to explain why you shoot some army guys and you can't shoot other army guys, but legit it implies some kind of body horror infection thing to me, and that would be a really mad horror movie...

I'm almost thinking this was intentional because not only did this game have that, fairly freaky game cover and total bloodfest pre-mortal kombat controversy, but round this time it and Ikari Warriors got print ads, and Ikari had the word hell in it, which i didnt even know was ALLOWED near a video game until Grand Theft Auto or obviously, Rambo on the NES. :D

Jokes Aside... Really cool, and kind of an interesting era of atari where, to me it seems like they were trying to be more mature looking like their Lynx handheld and the SEGA Genesis, if only for the swan song era in north america, and i have played Missing In Action which uses the same engine apparently, and while my emulator did not like running it, i had a lot of fun with it, reminding me of SNK's "Prisoners of War", oddly it almost makes me wanna learn to make a more decent version of that genesis game TechnoCop to sit alongside Alien Brigade...

I dont reccomend playing technocop, just play MIA's gun stages and Fatal Run for a 100x better experience, however, i really wish it was good as it honestly feels like a 7800 game in a way...

An Alien is indeed a wonderful thing to waste! And war IS HELL! I'm going to blast slayer midis and stay up past my bedtime playing it!!!!

• Haha 1

i tried Jinks and... it is indeed a video game, its interesting, i dont think it uses a secondary soundchip yet it has sampled speech and pretty decent music, until you get into the game...

Nonetheless i feel like the triangle and ball are going to play Come As You Are if i time it right... or i guess Eighties... or Life Goes On...

18 hours ago, Maztr_0n said:

i tried Jinks and... it is indeed a video game, its interesting, i dont think it uses a secondary soundchip yet it has sampled speech and pretty decent music, until you get into the game...

Nonetheless i feel like the triangle and ball are going to play Come As You Are if i time it right... or i guess Eighties... or Life Goes On...

Or maybe Everlong...

On 7/23/2024 at 8:21 PM, Maztr_0n said:

The splash screen song sample sounded like it wanted to break into Oingo Boingo's Dead Man's Party.  Best band cameo in a movie ever -  Back to School.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vintage35 said:

The splash screen song sample sounded like it wanted to break into Oingo Boingo's Dead Man's Party.  Best band cameo in a movie ever -  Back to School.

reallllll

30 minutes ago, fairy princess said:

Planning on getting ms pacman for 2600 this month.

Just had a look if I could get the 7800 version instead. But it's just too rich for my blood....

It's a good one. I recommend it. It has it's own charm even if you have the 7800 version, they're kinda different games IMO. 

I like the 2600 games that have good gameplay and a dedicated loading screen. Makes all the difference. 

Ms Pac Man, Moon Patrol, Centipede, Millipede, Dig Dug, Stargate, Tunnel Runner, etc. 

Edited by tradyblix

On 8/6/2024 at 11:56 PM, fairy princess said:

Just had a look if I could get the 7800 version instead. But it's just too rich for my blood....

Ms PacMan for 2600 is easier to play, 7800 has nicer graphics but is just damn difficult. 

• Like 1

On 8/6/2024 at 11:25 PM, tradyblix said:

It's a good one. I recommend it. It has it's own charm even if you have the 7800 version, they're kinda different games IMO. 

I like the 2600 games that have good gameplay and a dedicated loading screen. Makes all the difference. 

Ms Pac Man, Moon Patrol, Centipede, Millipede, Dig Dug, Stargate, Tunnel Runner, etc. 

Tunnel Runner is in the top 3 of my wish list.

• Like 2

On 8/6/2024 at 5:56 PM, fairy princess said:

Really, what's the going rate for Ms. Pac-Man 7800 carts these days? There's a place local to me that had a couple of them for $5 each with slightly blemished labels. I passed on them, but I can always go back and grab them and pass the savings on down.

32 minutes ago, Alex_813 said:

Really, what's the going rate for Ms. Pac-Man 7800 carts these days? There's a place local to me that had a couple of them for $5 each with slightly blemished labels. I passed on them, but I can always go back and grab them and pass the savings on down.

Around 15 to 20 dollars. Cart only. 

Edited by tradyblix

5 hours ago, Alex_813 said:

I might take you up on said offer, wouldn't wanna pass that up tbh.

21 hours ago, Alex_813 said:

eBay in the UK has them quite a bit more. Also shipping from the U.S. is a killer....

On 8/8/2024 at 9:27 AM, MarcinJ said:

Ms PacMan for 2600 is easier to play, 7800 has nicer graphics but is just damn difficult. 

And neither of them are a patch on the difficultly level of 2600 jr pac man. It's just insanely difficult. 

• Like 1