56,000 - bemis +8

20,650 - jblenkle +6

Qualifying lap:

57"36 - RB5200 +3

58"15 - Cafeman +2

58"60 - rubeon +1

58”82 - Mikey50

59”50 - bemis

It’s one of my favorite games for 5200 because of the superb programming and tight analog control. Until I learn how to consistently get pole position on the Namco Speedway course (and thus earn an extra 2000 points ), I will never get much higher score than what I got. I wasn’t able to figure out where I could improve to shave off a bit of a second, and thus 95% of the time I get second place.   

The few times I placed in the pole position, I would then also either wreck or get stuck behind too many cars on a curve,  which killed my high score potential. 

1 hour ago, Cafeman said:

95% of the time I get second place.   

This is what I found playing this thing 879+ races, Namco Speedway has a qualifing timer issue, meaning you can play this race setting, over and over and over and still only get 2nd place, even when you know 100% that you should have gotten a pole position. But there is a way to get pole 95% of the time instead of the other way around. There's your hint.😃

The few times I placed in the pole position, I would then also either wreck or get stuck behind too many cars on a curve,  which killed my high score potential. 

And me also, but after enough races, I finally was getting through without to much slow down, but heck 90% of the time I would end up wrecking.  anybody remember, Help it's the hair bear bunch, BOTCH !

No,

but you do have to make that corner with damn good speed, but I know you can do that already.

Here's another hint, you only get 1 chance.

Edited by RB5200

2 minutes ago, RB5200 said:

you only get 1 chance

Dunno. Is there some kind of boost at the beginning of the qualifying lap when you shift from low to high? If so, I’ve never found it.  

I have seen that there is a bug where your max speed goes to 211, I’m not sure if it affects your time though, and it didn’t happen to me on this series of games.

8 minutes ago, Cafeman said:

Dunno. Is there some kind of boost at the beginning of the qualifying lap when you shift from low to high? If so, I’ve never found it.

No, that's not it.

9 minutes ago, Cafeman said:

have seen that there is a bug where your max speed goes to 211, I’m not sure if it affects your time though, and it didn’t happen to me on this series of games.

Really, can't say I ever seen this, but at the same time I'm not really looking at my speed number, that much, so I suppose if it has happened it could of been missed.

Reboot the game after every race?

I hope that’s not true, but sitting here thinking, I did get pole on my first game, and never afterwards, on one of my game sessions.

this is true with a lot of games, wouldn't be impossible that Pole Position suffers from bad initialization algos (gotta keep that high score)

i've also compared taking big skids to lots of little adjustments trying to minimize speed loss, helped a little

i've managed to shave about 2.5 seconds off my qualifying lap when I get it perfect (no braking on hairpin, little/no skidding on other curves) but I have no idea what kind of voodoo I'm going to have to learn to get to @zylon's level -- less than 54 seconds!! i'm obviously playing the game wrong

Edited by rubeon

24 minutes ago, rubeon said:

I have no idea what kind of voodoo I'm going to have to learn to get to @zylon's level -- less than 54 seconds!! i'm obviously playing the game wrong

I also tried to experiment with different skid techniques, and I never brake I just let go of the gas at times to slow down,  mostly when I’m approaching a curve and I can see a bad situation ahead.

I am equally mystified, how anyone could get under 54 seconds on the qualifying lap. I cant even beat 58 seconds.  Even if you never skidded on any curve, I can’t see how you get that much improvement, so there must be some technique or trick to it.

1 hour ago, RB5200 said:

No, that's not it.

Really, can't say I ever seen this, but at the same time I'm not really looking at my speed number, that much, so I suppose if it has happened it could of been missed.

211, that's sooo slow, lol. It can't happen on qual lap, only in actual race.

22 minutes ago, rubeon said:

this is true with a lot of games, wouldn't be impossible that Pole Position suffers from bad initialization algos (gotta keep that high score)

i've also compared taking big skids to lots of little adjustments trying to minimize speed loss, helped a little

i've managed to shave about 2.5 seconds off my qualifying lap when I get it perfect (no braking on hairpin, little/no skidding on other curves) but I have no idea what kind of voodoo I'm going to have to learn to get to @zylon's level -- less than 54 seconds!! i'm obviously playing the game wrong

Wish I still had that pic, but I used cx52 with old rev 7 flexi. There's two patterns of cars for the qual lap, one is easier than the other. At least for me, anyways.

227 bug.jpg

11 hours ago, Cafeman said:

Does the 227 improve your time, or is it just a visual glitch?

It does tend to alter the progression of time. You get kind of a "matrix" feel in playing. It takes a few consecutive near flawless laps, to trigger those. 211 is first, and if you complete one like that, 227 is next. Otherwise, I use full speed and cut corners to maximize time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RB5200 said:

I have felt this before, but I guess I never noticed the speed meter was different.

This is one of my 5 faves, and I've explored it extensively, trying all sorts of things. No matter what you use, it comes down to skill and timing. If you play too good, those bugs will activate, so I never ruled against them. I don't run this often in OE, as a month of it is just too much, lol. Clearly one of the 5200's top shining stars, even today.

• Like 1