IGNORED

Stella shortcut to change the ROMs?

Hi I am working on my project where I have connected a total of 60, 32x32 pixel LED panels, 6 vertically x 10 horizontally, to build a large 192x320 pixel-exact LED display. Behind the display, two Raspberry Pi are attached, one of which emulates Stella and sends an HDMI signal to the other, and the other one converts that signal for the LEDs and projects it onto the display. I have completed a working test with the engineer helping me with the project as the video attached. And people will be playing with it with an Bluetooth moded original Atari joystick.

So my question on the subject is, is there a shortcut on Stella to change the ROMs? I would like to have a shortcut that would allow us to change the 4 games we can play on this display, for example, the top + fire button on the joystick, register the command for the ROMs change the shortcut to that input on Stella, and then I would like to change the 4 ROMs by joystick operation only.

Do you think this is possible? Otherwise is it possible to combine the 4 ROMs (all under 16k) into one ROM and have it change with the bankswitch?

If anyone has any other better ideas, please let me know!

Assuming all games have the same size, copy them together to one big file. If one have is smaller than the largest, double it once (or twice) to get it to the largest size (Windows command line: copy /b rom1.bin+rom2.bin+rom3.bin+rom4.bin target.bin).

And in Stella, go into the game properties and select a 4in1 multicart. 

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, kid_snz said:

Behind the display, two Raspberry Pi are attached, one of which emulates Stella and sends an HDMI signal to the other, and the other one converts that signal for the LEDs and projects it onto the display.

20 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

You could create a 4in1 multicard. Ctrl+R will switch to the next game.

If you plan to use the Pi without a keyboard, then I can send some notes to you for installing a python script and you can have a standard push-button wired to the Pi so when you push the button, it will be detected on the Pi's GPIO header and the python script will issue out the Ctrl+R => that's assuming that you aren't using the GPIO for anything that will interfere with the script.

You just need to install a few things on the Pi, and then wire the push-button to two pins on the 40-pin header (one GPIO pin and the ground pin) - such as pins 39 and 40 - at the end of the header.

You may want more keyboard button/shortcuts via the GPIO header and the python script, or you can use one of these mini-keyboards and program the keys for the needed Atari console controls: the two Difficulty switches, Reset, Select, B&W/Color, Quit Game, etc, and you can program one of these keyboard buttons as a Ctrl+R combo.  Stella has all these preset as default keyboard buttons, so you can just program these little keyboards as needed.

If you are going to make a panel with arcade style buttons, then you can use the GPIO header directly, or you can wire your buttons to one of these little keyboard's board, so it appears to the PI as a standard USB keyboard.

2/3/4/6/7/8/9/16 Keys Black Mini Keypad Numpad Mechanical Keyboard OSU Gaming Programming Custom

39 minutes ago, fdr4prez said:

If you plan to use the Pi without a keyboard, then I can send some notes to you for installing a python script and you can have a standard push-button wired to the Pi so when you push the button, it will be detected on the Pi's GPIO header and the python script will issue out the Ctrl+R => that's assuming that you aren't using the GPIO for anything that will interfere with the script.

You just need to install a few things on the Pi, and then wire the push-button to two pins on the 40-pin header (one GPIO pin and the ground pin) - such as pins 39 and 40 - at the end of the header.

You may want more keyboard button/shortcuts via the GPIO header and the python script, or you can use one of these mini-keyboards and program the keys for the needed Atari console controls: the two Difficulty switches, Reset, Select, B&W/Color, Quit Game, etc, and you can program one of these keyboard buttons as a Ctrl+R combo.  Stella has all these preset as default keyboard buttons, so you can just program these little keyboards as needed.

If you are going to make a panel with arcade style buttons, then you can use the GPIO header directly, or you can wire your buttons to one of these little keyboard's board, so it appears to the PI as a standard USB keyboard.

2/3/4/6/7/8/9/16 Keys Black Mini Keypad Numpad Mechanical Keyboard OSU Gaming Programming Custom

Thank you so much for the python script idea! I'm not very good at these things, so I'll talk to my engineer and see if your idea is the best for what I want to do.

In the meantime, huge thanks to @Thomas Jentzsch and for your ideas, I'm very excited about the possibility of making it happen!

24 minutes ago, kid_snz said:

In the meantime, huge thanks to @Thomas Jentzsch and for your ideas, I'm very excited about the possibility of making it happen!

If you have problems with creating the multicard ROM, I can help. Provide me with the ROMs you want to combine, and I will create it for you.

7 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

If you have problems with creating the multicard ROM, I can help. Provide me with the ROMs you want to combine, and I will create it for you.

The engineer I am working with can probably do it, but if there are any problems I will contact you. Thank you so much!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

My engineer person made it. I am now testing it and it works exactly as I wanted omg... Thank you so much for your help again!!!

Edited by kid_snz
  • Like 3