IGNORED

Crystal Quest: 7800 - (in VCS Store)

Atari_JaguarVCS

45 minutes ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

Crystal Quest: 7800 is now available on the Atari VCS 800 store priced £7.99 I'm really looking forward to checking this one out! Gameplay video below.

Sweet! @PacManPlus Congrats on having another one of your titles added to the VCS800 Store.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

There appears to be an issue with the game having no sound, hopefully a patch can address the issue. 

I think this is the first 7800 game to come out for the VCS with Pokey sound. I wonder if that is somehow related.

• Like 1

The game is possibly getting pulled from the store and refunds given if the sound issue can't be resolved by this evening! What a shame, it should have been properly tested on the Atari VCS 800 before it dropped. It seems this game can't do sound on any emulator, its not even compatible with the 2600+ apparently.

And its gone from the store.

Edited by Atari_JaguarVCS

30 minutes ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

The game is possibly getting pulled from the store and refunds given if the sound issue can't be resolved by this evening! What a shame, it should have been properly tested on the Atari VCS 800 before it dropped. It seems this game can't do sound on any emulator, its not even compatible with the 2600+ apparently.

And its gone from the store.

That's a real bummer ☹️. I do remember trying the ROM out on OpenEmu on the Mac (and Commando which uses the Pokey chip) and it ran fine with sound. They happen to use ProSystem for emulation so maybe the AtariOS uses something different under the hood.

Oh, and I should point that I have absolutely no idea what the problem actually is. So my musings are totally uninformed speculation. The use of the Pokey seemed to be be a variation from the other 7800 games released on the VCS so I was just curious.

I've still been playing the game, just with no sound. I really do hope they can fix the sound issue and get this gem put back up on the Atari VCS 800 store immediately for everyone to enjoy. I'd definetaly be interested in picking this game up again but as a physical release for my real 7800 hardware and CRT set up, its just so much fun and looks great. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, zzip said:

I believe AtariOS uses a7800.    Not sure if it's the full MAME installation or standalone a7800 version,  but I am fairly certain a7800 can play Pokey sound?

It's a fork of MAME for just the A7800.  Should play Pokey sound fine, I believe EXO uses it.

• Thanks 1

This topic keeps drawing me in because I think it’s about the old Mac game called Crystal Quest. I haven’t been this disappointed since some game show called Wipeout came out and it had nothing to do with futuristic hovercraft racing. 

Well I hope the sound gets fixed for you guys. That’s some quality control they’ve got going there. 

Game looks cute though. 😃

• Haha 1

On 2/10/2024 at 11:40 AM, Flojomojo said:

I haven’t been this disappointed since some game show called Wipeout came out and it had nothing to do with futuristic hovercraft racing. 

So glad I'm not the only one. Gets me, every, single, time... LOL 

@Flojomojo How about this? https://store.steampowered.com/app/497510/Crystal_Quest_Classic/

On 2/10/2024 at 11:40 AM, Flojomojo said:

Well I hope the sound gets fixed for you guys.

Same.

• Like 1

It's disappointing that they haven't gotten the sound working in this yet. It's a fun game and probably one of the more technically impressive 7800 games. I've been playing a ROM of it for years but would love to be able to purchase it for the VCS.

On 2/10/2024 at 9:28 PM, tripled79 said:

The game looks a bit like Wonder Boy/Adventure Island...

It plays like it too. It's a platformer that will punish you for trying to speed through it. It has hidden levels and warps too.

Quality game and easily a top 3 7800 game. Too bad it sounds like they didn't test it before selling it.

23 hours ago, Zeptari said:

So glad I'm not the only one. Gets me, every, single, time... LOL 

@Flojomojo How about this? https://store.steampowered.com/app/497510/Crystal_Quest_Classic/

Same.

I backed that on Kickstarter, but the campaign failed. The developer gave us backers Steam keys as tokens of appreciation, which was cool. I think the goal was not to make money but to reengineer the game in Unity so it could live on much longer. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/22/2024 at 4:23 PM, zzip said:

Did the recent OS update fix the Pokey sound in the a7800 emulator?

I don't believe the OS update fixed the sound issue as i still had the game in my library after it was pulled from the store and i tried it after the new OS update out of curiosity and it still didn't have sound. I noticed that when the game was brought back to the store my game had an update available and after the update the sound worked.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1