IGNORED

What Atari 2600/7800 game have you been playing the most today?

shane857

3 minutes ago, shane857 said:

I've tried to complete Raiders of the Lost Ark, even after watching a walkthrough video I'm still struggling...😂

The first time I finished it was on a weekend rental, shortly after it came out, on an original UK VCS.  It took me, and a friend - who was much more attuned to such games - the ENTIRE weekend to get through it.

Today ... I had to watch a walkthrough (might have been on GenXGrownUp) ... and, embarrassingly, prior to watching ... I'd forgotten it needed two joysticks (so I didn't get very far)!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Torq said:

It is!

Couldn't put it down.

I started with the audio book ... and it was so "zen" I kept nodding off (maybe HSW was using his "therapist voice"), so had to get the Kindle version and actually read it ... in one sitting.

One sitting? How long did that take? 

Just now, JetmanUK said:

One sitting? How long did that take? 

About 4.5 hours.  Maybe 5.

I'm very good at shutting out the world and doing "obsessive" things when I get the chance.

I finally play Atari today.....well......yesterday.

I picked up a loose "Pitfall 2" from a retro toy/comic/game shop as I'll probably get a 2600+ in the future. It was a bit of a fiddly cart or my 2600's cart slot is a little loose, but I got it working.  I think I had similar issues when I owned this game once before.

Now for the following,in my defense, I have not really played it. I never got overly far, nor have I played it on my CRT.  I was totally ignorant of this game beyond dumping myself in water and that being that.

Anyway I found it odd, as I played, that there were a lot of holes in the center of the platforms to "fall down". "Dang, they made this game a monster," I thought to myself.  Go down a hole, nudge the stick and hope you float a bit to hit a floor.  After a while I thought it was an odd design choice.  Then I tried pressing down and see if I could dangle from a hole. I was able to and.....waitaminute.....

I turned up the brightness on my TV.

As if by magic, ladders appeared below Harry.  Barriers showed up that once was just black abyss.  I never had issues prior with any game bdark until now until now.

After that,it was so much more enjoyable.....

• Like 8

Tried to complete Indy earlier...

This is one game where you most definitely do NOT need to read the fcukn manual!

Collecting all the necessary objects is no problem. Finding the location of the Ark no problem.

As much as I tried, could not guide Indy into that small cave with the parachute.

They should re-name the game to 'Indiana Jones and the Branch of Doom'

DSC_0040.JPG

DSC_0030.JPG

DSC_0034.JPG

DSC_0035.JPG

DSC_0037.JPG

DSC_0038.JPG

DSC_0039.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Gabe said:

I got the cart today and just wanted to test it, yet ended up playing it for about an hour and a half. I'd forgotten how much I love this game. 

BattleZone.png

Great game. As good as Robot Tank, in my opinion.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bigfriendly said:

Gravitar. Unless your playing on variation #5 which is the one without the gravity it's damn near impossible. 

Gravitar.jpg

A very difficult game! But there is something about it that keeps you coming back for more aggravation!

• Like 1

The is the best I have been able to do on variation #1 which is the hardest. I cleared the first solar system but I haven't been able to clear the second. The gravity pull is hard to figure out on the planets in the second system.

Gravitar 13300.jpg

• Like 3

Been playing Congo Bongo today...

I love playing this game. Okay so it's missing 2 screens from the arcade version and graphics are not quite there, sound is good thou.

I could not quite manage to set fire to the Gorilla(Kong) a third time. 🔥🦍😱

DSC_0018.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0011.JPG

DSC_0016.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG

Edt6OowUEAA6m4q.jpeg

DSC_0012.JPG

• Like 4

Finally after 6 months of occasionally trying I finished 4 laps of this thing (just barely at the last second, but it counts).  Basically amounts to completing the game.  Winning the pole position is easy, it's running the laps in time with the idiot yellow blotch drivers.  Here you can see all the fanfare I received in this spartan affair.

20240619_161229-Copy.thumb.jpg.57325da68120e0f950ab26954b1253cf.jpg

Edited by Brad_from_the_80s
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, shane857 said:

I love playing this game. Okay so it's missing 2 screens from the arcade version and graphics are not quite there, sound is good thou.

DSC_0018.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0011.JPG

DSC_0016.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG

Edt6OowUEAA6m4q.jpeg

DSC_0012.JPG

Kinda amazed it looks as good as it does.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, shane857 said:

DSC_0018.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0011.JPG

DSC_0016.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG

Edt6OowUEAA6m4q.jpeg

DSC_0012.JPG

When I have played this game I seem to get stuck at the jumping across the river part on the first screen, the perspective is weird and I just seem to fail... every damn time.

There must be a sweet spot to jump from and a certain way to push the stick. I want to like this game, but the water drives me bonkers! GRRRR!

I am also not sure that I want to set an ape on fire.

EDIT: But I have murdered multiple animals in that skiiing/shooting game, so why not?! Ha!

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Finally after 6 months of occasionally trying I finished 4 laps of this thing (just barely at the last second, but it counts).  Basically amounts to completing the game.  Winning the pole position is easy, it's running the laps in time with the idiot yellow blotch drivers.  Here you can see all the fanfare I received in this spartan affair.

20240619_161229-Copy.thumb.jpg.57325da68120e0f950ab26954b1253cf.jpg

I repeated my race completion on Pole Position with the same finish time.  Then after so much effort to fully get the hang of Pole Position on 2600 I quickly finished at least the Test track of Pole Position II for 7800, came close on the Fuji track, but the other two tracks will need some practice.  Not that this race completion screen is much more exciting than the 2600 version. 

20240619_222351-Copy.thumb.jpg.a89bf49eef4f3e7ce7df05b05a903bc2.jpg

The sense of speed is mostly still there on 7800, and it resembles the arcade, but I think the masterful 2600 game sounds are better.  And there's just something satisfying about playing with the CX-40 on the 2600 version when you have the feel of it.  Even with the much more primitive graphics, for pure fun I'd give the 2600 game the edge.  The thrill of quick swerving with the joystick and all that.

Also the only reason I can play "2-button" 7800 games at all in recent months is thanks to this control pad from retrogameboyz.  Regardless of CX-78+, this is a darn nice controller he makes.

20240619_230733-Copy.thumb.jpg.d86646b2a7020f909105114d858fb732.jpg

One other interesting thing, the console version of the original game serves as a stark example of why the 2600 was king.  From Wikipedia, sales for the other systems amounted to a rounding error:

"In the United States between 1986 and 1990, the Atari 2600 version sold 578,281 units for $3,642,246, the Atari 5200 version sold 12,492 units for $62,601, and the version for Atari 8-bit computers version sold 9,204 units for $106,014, adding up to 599,977 units sold and $3,810,861 (equivalent to $10,600,000 in 2023) grossed between 1986 and 1990."

If accurate, this is impressive in the 2600's supposed twilight years.

Edited by Brad_from_the_80s
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

When I have played this game I seem to get stuck at the jumping across the river part on the first screen, the perspective is weird and I just seem to fail... every damn time.

There must be a sweet spot to jump from and a certain way to push the stick. I want to like this game, but the water drives me bonkers! GRRRR!

I am also not sure that I want to set an ape on fire.

EDIT: But I have murdered multiple animals in that skiiing/shooting game, so why not?! Ha!

I use the CX78 pad to play the game, much easier.

• Like 1

Been playing Kung-Fu Master 2600 earlier for the first time, loved playing this in the Arcades back in the day...

Graphics and sound are decent and all 5 floors/enemies and Bosses are there. Actually really impressed with this 2600 port.

Enemy AI is brutal thou, and hit detection takes some getting used to. Could not even beat the 1st End Boss.

Definitely coming back to this game thou.

DSC_0027.JPG

DSC_0009.JPG

DSC_0012.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

• Like 6

Super Cobra this evening...

Difficulty switches not used. Game select speed 1 slow, 2 medium, 3 fast. Colour/BW switch is supposed to pause game, thou does not.

Not a bad shooter for the 2600. I found it easier and more fun playing on medium speed.

DSC_0029.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

DSC_0025.JPG

DSC_0026.JPG

• Like 5

Love Galaxian for the 2600...

You can use game select to start from wave 1-9. difficulty switch to B for rapid fire and A for single shot.

I prefer playing this to Galaga on the 7800. Couldn't make it past the 4th wave, I need more practice...

DSC_0062.JPG

DSC_0061.JPG

DSC_0015.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG

DSC_0036.JPG

• Like 6

Got this one in the mail today, as well as the new label. I played it for a little over an hour this afternoon. When I was a kid I would spend hours playing this and Battlezone in my room on a little portable TV/radio. 🙂

Screenshot 2024-06-24 at 4.53.57 PM.png

• Like 5

I don't actually own this game. It's much better than the 2600 version of Q-Bert in my opinion. I wonder why they didn't release it in greater numbers? It's a very addictive game and this is my best score so far. If you want to own a loose copy get ready to surrender around a $100 or more for one.

Boing Cart.jpg

BOING! 28330.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, bigfriendly said:

I don't actually own this game. It's much better than the 2600 version of Q-Bert in my opinion. I wonder why they didn't release it in greater numbers? It's a very addictive game and this is my best score so far. If you want to own a loose copy get ready to surrender around a $100 or more for one.

Boing! is a great game.  I ended up getting a reproduction of it so I can play it on my 2600+.  It's a better Qbert than Qbert....

• Like 1