IGNORED

What Atari 2600/7800 game have you been playing the most today?

shane857

On 7/12/2024 at 1:38 PM, shane857 said:

Played Open Sesame this evening...

A great pick up and play game if you only have 30 mins or so to spare.

Graphics and sound are pretty basic, gameplay is really addictive thou. Simple controls and difficulty/game select switches are not used

When you reach the cave at the top of the screen, you are rewarded with the treasure and digitised speech "Open Sesame!"

DSC_0035.JPG

open_sesame_bit_corp_i_2.jpg

DSC_0020.JPG

DSC_0022.JPG

DSC_0026.JPG

DSC_0033.JPG

DSC_0034.JPG

DSC_0029.JPG

I'll have to look into this game.  It looks cool!

• Like 1

On 7/12/2024 at 8:38 PM, shane857 said:

Played Open Sesame this evening...

A great pick up and play game if you only have 30 mins or so to spare.

Graphics and sound are pretty basic, gameplay is really addictive thou. Simple controls and difficulty/game select switches are not used

When you reach the cave at the top of the screen, you are rewarded with the treasure and digitised speech "Open Sesame!"

DSC_0035.JPG

open_sesame_bit_corp_i_2.jpg

DSC_0020.JPG

DSC_0022.JPG

DSC_0026.JPG

DSC_0033.JPG

DSC_0034.JPG

DSC_0029.JPG

I really enjoy this one too, and it's always fun to hear speech on early console hardware, even though it is quite muffled... Quadrun is definitely clearer!

I do like the sound effects in this game too, the changing tone as you climb the ladders/poles/energy beams, whatever they are, is helpful.

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, shane857 said:

Planet Patrol this evening...

An underrated shooter for the 2600, in my opinion. Difficulty switch to A for small ship(Beginner) B large ship(Advanced)

Game select 1: 1 player  2: 2 player and 3 and 4 are easier games for kids

First you have to shoot at enemy wave and try to destroy larger 'drone' missiles for bonus points

Then destroy the 3 missile bases to remove the forcefield to safely fly through

Avoid debris from the explosion of the bases and then you have to land to refuel.

Next destroy a wave of enemies in the dark. You have keep firing to see the way.

Gameplay repeats the stages, thou faster each time.

DSC_0052.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

DSC_0050.JPG

DSC_0022.JPG

DSC_0049.JPG

DSC_0026.JPG

DSC_0028.JPG

DSC_0031.JPG

DSC_0051.JPG

Planet Patrol!  There's the other Spectravision game I bought back in the day...

(sort of lower left,  My camera sucks,  but you can see the shiny silver boxes!)

20240714_135121.thumb.jpg.b3bfae9ed387185c0b2bbd3f172a6e5f.jpg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

I really enjoy this one too, and it's always fun to hear speech on early console hardware, even though it is quite muffled... Quadrun is definitely clearer!

I do like the sound effects in this game too, the changing tone as you climb the ladders/poles/energy beams, whatever they are, is helpful.

Yeh, sound effects are pretty good. Great how they even included the speech

• Like 3

the late era games are still a favorite.

Seriously Ghostbusters might be one of the earliest Job Sim games, and its on Atari 2600 of all things, Game 3 of Double Dragon is basically the closest thing to 2600 Street Fighter you can get, Ikari Warriors was HUGE for a shooter on 2600, and hey, no scrotum guns! Which means its wholesome! Secret Quest didnt just go straight for Zelda cloning, it had its own charm, and it stood out from many of the high fantasy action-adventures, BMX Airmaster is kinda tricky but much more enjoyable than the Skating minigame in Cali Games, speaking of skating Skateboardin is a time capsule i have loved since i first saw it on the Caddicarus show.

It's just cool seeing not only the hardware being pushed but also seeing different types of games you rarely ever saw on Atari 2600 or even 7800.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Maztr_0n said:

the late era games are still a favorite.

Seriously Ghostbusters might be one of the earliest Job Sim games, and its on Atari 2600 of all things, Game 3 of Double Dragon is basically the closest thing to 2600 Street Fighter you can get, Ikari Warriors was HUGE for a shooter on 2600, and hey, no scrotum guns! Which means its wholesome! Secret Quest didnt just go straight for Zelda cloning, it had its own charm, and it stood out from many of the high fantasy action-adventures, BMX Airmaster is kinda tricky but much more enjoyable than the Skating minigame in Cali Games, speaking of skating Skateboardin is a time capsule i have loved since i first saw it on the Caddicarus show.

It's just cool seeing not only the hardware being pushed but also seeing different types of games you rarely ever saw on Atari 2600 or even 7800.

I think Ghostbusters 2600 is a great port. Not as polished as the C64 version, thou a decent game considering the hardware.

Secret Quest is also a favourite of mine. Cool it has a password save function.

• Like 2

Today I have mostly being playing...

Demon attack and Klax. 

I've also had a quick round of surround (which I chose to play in glorious black and which.)

I need to figure out which mode in maze craze will give me the best game...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shane857 said:

I think Ghostbusters 2600 is a great port. Not as polished as the C64 version, thou a decent game considering the hardware.

Secret Quest is also a favourite of mine. Cool it has a password save function.

There some think to be said for late era Atari games. 

But there is something also to be said for the art house/brutalist look/feel of very early Atari games...

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Lucy willis said:

There some think to be said for late era Atari games. 

But there is something also to be said for the art house/brutalist look/feel of very early Atari games...

i kinda wish there was a mix of the two, a brutalist square in a life simulation with backgrounds and password saves...

2 hours ago, Maztr_0n said:

i kinda wish there was a mix of the two, a brutalist square in a life simulation with backgrounds and password saves...

Yes. Password saves! For some 7800 games at least. Midnight Mutants #1

Played Star Voyager earlier...

Destroy all enemy ships and fly through the Space Portal. In my opinion a 'Star Raiders' arcade game.

Aiming at enemy ships is so difficult, mainly because the Cross Hair is fcukn useless!

I found it easier to use photon torpedoes because they use less energy.

An enjoyable space shooter for the 2600 thou brutally hard!

DSC_0090.JPG

DSC_0028.JPG

DSC_0049.JPG

DSC_0086.JPG

DSC_0076.JPG

DSC_0037.JPG

DSC_0089.JPG

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, shane857 said:

Played Star Voyager earlier...

Destroy all enemy ships and fly through the Space Portal. In my opinion a 'Star Raiders' arcade game.

Aiming at enemy ships is so difficult, mainly because the Cross Hair is fcukn useless!

I found it easier to use photon torpedoes because they use less energy.

An enjoyable space shooter for the 2600 thou brutally hard!

DSC_0090.JPG

DSC_0028.JPG

DSC_0049.JPG

DSC_0086.JPG

DSC_0076.JPG

DSC_0037.JPG

DSC_0089.JPG

With the exception of Solaris, that might be the best looking Star Raiders clone 

• Like 1

I grew up in the early 80s with hand me down scifi books and games influenced by them.

Still trying to track down this one game that was a spaced based text game with a pie with a pi in it.... can't remember the title, but it ran on TRS-80 type computers in 81 or so. 

There was a lot of imagination in the 70s with regard to spaceflight. Books like this:

https://archive.org/details/terrantradeauthorityhandbookgreatspacebattles

Kinda lost in today's culture 😕 

HAVE YOU PLAYED ATARI 2600+ TODAY? I HAVE!

OMEGA RACE

Omega Race is what I’ll be playing on my Atari 2600+ today! Why? Because I can! lol.

Thanks to all who made this game playable on the Atari 2600+.

This was one of my favorites on my Colecovision back in the day. I never had the booster grip for the 2600 version. Playing emulation was the only way to play the 2600 version for me.

Now being able to use a 7800 controller with the latest Firmware Update, I be playing 😄

This game is awesome! Colecovision had a slight edge on graphics but game play is where it counts and both versions have it.

This game is not easy. So if you don’t think you have what it take’s, just stick to 3D Tic-Tac-Toe! 😆

IMG_1201.jpeg

IMG_1200.jpeg

IMG_1225.jpeg

IMG_1228.jpeg

IMG_1227.gif

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

OMEGA RACE

Omega Race is what I’ll be playing on my Atari 2600+ today! Why? Because I can! lol.

This was one of my favorites on my Colecovision back in the day. I never had the booster grip for the 2600 version. Playing emulation was the only way to play the 2600 version for me.

Now being able to use a 7800 controller with the latest Firmware Update, I be playing 😄

This game is awesome! Colecovision had a slight edge on graphics but game play is where it counts and both versions have it.

This game is not easy. So if you don’t think you have what it take’s, just stick to 3D Tic-Tac-Toe! 😆

You sure you are able to use the thrust and fire buttons in 2600 Omega Race using a 7800 controller?  On my 7800 system if I use a 7800 controller on Atari 2600 Omega Race, both buttons map out to thrust.

11 minutes ago, littaum said:

You sure you are able to use the thrust and fire buttons in 2600 Omega Race using a 7800 controller?  On my 7800 system if I use a 7800 controller on Atari 2600 Omega Race, both buttons map out to thrust.

Yes, plays great on the 2600+ with original CX78 and new CX78+ with the latest firmware.

• Like 3

On 7/15/2024 at 7:38 AM, Lucy willis said:

Today I have mostly being playing...

Demon attack and Klax. 

I've also had a quick round of surround (which I chose to play in glorious black and which.)

I need to figure out which mode in maze craze will give me the best game...

It is the 90s, and it is time for...... Klax.

I *Love* this game. I also am lucky enough to have the 7800 cart. Wish someone would add pokey music to it tho 

Edited by tradyblix

39 minutes ago, littaum said:

I am using a third party 7800 arcade style joystick controller, and even it works great with that. Which is awesome. 

I am getting an arcades style asteroids controller setup for it (no joystick, 4 move buttons plus 2 action buttons) and I bet it will work great with that in 7800 mode. 

Honestly this support was even bigger than Pitfall II for me. I just love these ancient arcade style vector game translations, especially this one. 

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, littaum said:

This won’t work on a 7800 system or Original 2600 just the (Atari 2600+).

In addition to the CX78 and CX78+ on the Atari 2600+, you can also use a SEGA Genesis Controller with a Seagull 78 adapter by Edladdin or just a Colecovision Controller.

But preferably the CX78+ Gamepad is much better. No need for adapters, just plug it in. And the CX78+ works with all your 7800 Games, so that’s a +, ++ 😄

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

OMEGA RACE

IMG_1201.jpeg

IMG_1200.jpeg

IMG_1225.jpeg

IMG_1228.jpeg

IMG_1227.gif

I may try and flash my 2600+ tonight and see if the Booster Grip works. I'm still on factory FW. 

Here's Omega Race on OG 4 switch for now.

PXL_20240202_035251848.jpg

PXL_20240123_045859432.MP.jpg

Edited by Alex_813
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Alex_813 said:

I may try and flash my 2600+ tonight and see if the Booster Grip works. I'm still on factory FW. 

Here's Omega Race on OG 4 switch for now.

PXL_20240202_035251848.jpg

PXL_20240123_045859432.MP.jpg

You have the Booster Grip? That’s awesome! I wonder if that will work? Either way I say Flash that Firmware! It’s amazing! And let me know if it works!

Edited by MrChickenz