IGNORED

What Atari 2600/7800 game have you been playing the most today?

shane857

22 hours ago, shane857 said:
THE DARKNESS IS UPON YOU
You're on a dangerous search, deep underground.  Wraiths, wizards, and
moldering skeletons surround you.  Even now, a grim reaper stalks you.
The exits take you -- where?  Only deeper into the maze.  Find weapons
in the darkness and fend off your elusive enemies.  Claim the treasure
and fight your way even deeper into the caverns.
Your strength will outlast the weaker ghouls.  But are you a match for
the strongest?

3 difficulty levels thou best to set it to hardest for a challenge.

A good 'Gauntlet' style game for the 2600.

Hoping Atari re-release the 7800 version. That game is 'top' of my wish list...

DSC_0042.JPG

DSC_0041.JPG

DSC_0030.JPG

DSC_0031.JPG

DSC_0036.JPG

Love me some Dark Chambers. It's actually inspired by Dandy, which in turn inspired Gauntlet. 

I really get stuck in the deep levels tho around level P, I just run out of health. 

1 hour ago, tradyblix said:

Love me some Dark Chambers. It's actually inspired by Dandy, which in turn inspired Gauntlet. 

I really get stuck in the deep levels tho around level P, I just run out of health. 

Yeh. Loved playing Dandy on the C64 and Gauntlet in the Arcade.

• Like 2

I tried Defender II instead and looked what happened. The two games do seem exactly the same though. I don't see how this would be possible with two joysticks because you just wouldn't have quick enough access to the smart bombs. Hey, I did better at Stargate also. The game becomes incredibly challenging when you get up to this point.

DII HS.jpg

DII HS.jpg

Edited by bigfriendly
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, bigfriendly said:

I tried Defender II instead and looked what happened. The two games do seem exactly the same though. I don't see how this would be possible with two joysticks because you just wouldn't have quick enough access to the smart bombs. Hey, I did better at Stargate also. The game becomes incredibly challenging when you get up to this point.

DII HS.jpg

DII HS.jpg

Oh man! That’s a great score! Just so you know I was planning on breaking 30K first! 🤣

I don’t believe I have Defender II. I’ll have to check.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, bigfriendly said:

DII HS.jpg

DII HS.jpg

Pah. Photoshopped. No patch for you. 💁🏻😋

Edited by JetmanUK

On 7/25/2024 at 4:37 PM, bigfriendly said:

DII HS.jpg

DII HS.jpg

I actually use this with a twin joystick setup. Basically, how it works is when you push-up. On the other joystick, you get smart bombs, and when you push down, you get inviso. It has the sticks closer together, It's also used for robotron for twin stick action, And I use it for spy hunter, so I can you know, put a slick oil screen behind me. :)

Basically, I use it for these three games, and raiders and not much else. Theoretically, a twin stick controller can also be used on any game that leverages the second controller for doing something, which there are a few out there. Also, the two buttons that represent the buttons of the different original CX forties are together so it makes it easy to hit them.

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tradyblix said:

I actually use this with a twin joystick setup. Basically, how it works is when you push-up. On the other joystick, you get smart bombs, and when you push down, you get inviso. It has the sticks closer together, It's also used for robotron for twin stick action, And I use it for spy hunter, so I can you know, put a slick oil screen behind me. :)

Basically, I use it for these three games, and raiders and not much else. Theoretically, a twin stick controller can also be used on any game that leverages the second controller for doing something, which there are a few out there. Also, the two buttons that represent the buttons of the different original CX forties are together so it makes it easy to hit them.

I get what you are describing. It sounds like the thing that came with Space Dungeon on the 5200 that held both of the controllers. Could you upload a picture so we could see it? 

22 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Pah. Photoshopped. No patch for you. 💁🏻😋

Damn you! After all these years of hiding on AA you finally exposed me! 🤪

Todd.png

Edited by bigfriendly

Just got this in the mail yesterday:

image.thumb.jpeg.21062fa5ee77c0148f3317cd907f6caf.jpeg

Haven't opened it up and played it yet, will probably give it a spin later.

In the meantime, I've been playing plenty of 2600 and 7800 games on my VCS: Amoeba Jump, Mr. Run and Jump, Dark Cavern, Circus Atari, A.R.T.I., and a few others. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

Just got this in the mail yesterday:

image.thumb.jpeg.21062fa5ee77c0148f3317cd907f6caf.jpeg

Haven't opened it up and played it yet, will probably give it a spin later.

In the meantime, I've been playing plenty of 2600 and 7800 games on my VCS: Amoeba Jump, Mr. Run and Jump, Dark Cavern, Circus Atari, A.R.T.I., and a few others. 

The original or re-release?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Got the Trakball version and now I am waiting for... you know what😉

Yeh, we all know you want trackball support @DEANJIMMY 😂

I found Missile Command Arcade difficult playing as a child. Wayyyy back in the day. 

Maybe I should try it again..

• Like 2

12 hours ago, bigfriendly said:

I get what you are describing. It sounds like the thing that came with Space Dungeon on the 5200 that held both of the controllers. Could you upload a picture so we could see it? 

It's the red twin stick controller here, scroll down a ways. https://www.bdretromods.com/controllersaccessories

"Atari Dual Stick Arcade Style Controller"RCADE STYLE CONTROLLER

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 1

Played Activision's Decathlon for the first time earlier...

An excellent game, How on earth did David Crane manage to squeeze all 10 events into the 2600 version?

I used an 'old' CX40 joystick just to play it safe. Found it easier to hold the Joystick at an angle with my thumb and forefinger

Didn't quite manage a Bronze Activision patch with my final score. That 1500m event is a fcukn killer! 

DSC_0065.JPG

DSC_0021.JPG

DSC_0023.JPG

DSC_0025.JPG

DSC_0031.JPG

DSC_0032.JPG

DSC_0060.JPG

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

HAVE YOU PLAYED ATARI 2600+ TODAY? I HAVE!

TUNNEL RUNNER 

Tunnel Runner is the game today! I got my money’s worth out of this game! This is my original cartridge from way back. Love this game!

https://www.atarimania.com/pgesoft.awp?version=8142

IMG_1395.jpeg

IMG_1388.jpeg

IMG_1389.jpeg

IMG_1390.jpeg

IMG_1396.jpeg

That game looks awesome bro! Definitely one on my wish list 👍🏻

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

HAVE YOU PLAYED ATARI 2600+ TODAY? I HAVE!

TUNNEL RUNNER 

Tunnel Runner is the game today! I got my money’s worth out of this game! This is my original cartridge from way back. Love this game!

https://www.atarimania.com/pgesoft.awp?version=8142

IMG_1395.jpeg

IMG_1388.jpeg

IMG_1389.jpeg

IMG_1390.jpeg

IMG_1396.jpeg

One of the best games on the system! Love this one. Great graphics and audio, plays well too. It features a little ditty 'inspired' by The Doors. 

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 1

Tried 'Impossible' Mission 7800 again today...

I have never completed this game, and probably never will. The puzzles are just to complex. Rotating/correct colour etc

Always come back to this game thou because of the platforming and sense of exploration

You could literally play this game over and over, because each new game has a different map and puzzle pieces are placed randomly

I usually just reset the console thou after the initial Game Over.

If you do this, the game will restart with the exact map and puzzle pieces will be in the same place.

Would be cool if Atari re-released this game enhanced with speech.

DSC_0086.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG

DSC_0019.JPG

DSC_0038.JPG

DSC_0040.JPG

DSC_0042.JPG

DSC_0065.JPG

DSC_0072.JPG

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, shane857 said:

Tried 'Impossible' Mission 7800 again today...

I have never completed this game, and probably never will. The puzzles are just to complex. Rotating/correct colour etc

Always come back to this game thou because of the platforming and sense of exploration

You could literally play this game over and over, because each new game has a different map and puzzle pieces are placed randomly

I usually just reset the console thou after the initial Game Over.

If you do this, the game will restart with the exact map and puzzle pieces will be in the same place.

Would be cool if Atari re-released this game enhanced with speech.

DSC_0086.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG

DSC_0019.JPG

DSC_0038.JPG

DSC_0040.JPG

DSC_0042.JPG

DSC_0065.JPG

DSC_0072.JPG

• Like 2