IGNORED

What Atari 2600/7800 game have you been playing the most today?

shane857

8 hours ago, bigfriendly said:

Have any of you ever played this old 1970's 2600 game Canyon Bomber? This was one of David Crane's games that he programmed when he was still working at Atari. I had never played Canyon Bomber until a few months ago. It's actually a pretty cool game and the computer is a solid opponent which usually isn't the case with these really old games. It should also be mentioned that Crane did everything in this game with not 4KB but only 2KB of ROM! The guy is an absolute legend and I still say the Atari brass were a bunch of morons to let Crane and so many other leave instead of trying to at least work with them to keep them around. It uses the paddles and if you have a human opponent it would be a real blast to play. I honestly can't remember knowing anybody that owned this game back in the 2600's heyday. In the Atari catalog it just never looked all that appealing to me so I never even considered playing it. 

Canyon Bomber Box.png

Canyon bomber screanshot.jpg

Canyon Bomber screen shot 2.jpg

its on my paddle 4 in 1 multicart, but ngl i just dont know what i'm doing XP , still pretty fun regardless!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, acidbottle said:

My copies of Mr Run and Jump and Enhanced Berzerk turned up, complete with Amazon styled box crush, nice!

Mr R&J is bastard difficult, that is all.

i'm so tempted to get the two games on the atari store for 2600, and ngl Mr Run and Jump seemed like the perfect new official retro title, what better for a retro console than a precision/masocore platformer? :D

when i get some bag, i'm gonna do it!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Maztr_0n said:

i'm so tempted to get the two games on the atari store for 2600, and ngl Mr Run and Jump seemed like the perfect new official retro title, what better for a retro console than a precision/masocore platformer? :D

when i get some bag, i'm gonna do it!

Mr Run And Jump(Die) is a great game. Just be prepared to die........a LOT! 😂

• Like 2

On 8/5/2024 at 1:26 PM, bigfriendly said:

Have any of you ever played this old 1970's 2600 game Canyon Bomber? This was one of David Crane's games that he programmed when he was still working at Atari. I had never played Canyon Bomber until a few months ago. It's actually a pretty cool game and the computer is a solid opponent which usually isn't the case with these really old games. It should also be mentioned that Crane did everything in this game with not 4KB but only 2KB of ROM! The guy is an absolute legend and I still say the Atari brass were a bunch of morons to let Crane and so many other leave instead of trying to at least work with them to keep them around. It uses the paddles and if you have a human opponent it would be a real blast to play. I honestly can't remember knowing anybody that owned this game back in the 2600's heyday. In the Atari catalog it just never looked all that appealing to me so I never even considered playing it. 

Canyon Bomber Box.png

Canyon bomber screanshot.jpg

Canyon Bomber screen shot 2.jpg

Oh Canyon Bomber is a Classic!

I played it once at my friends house at least a year before I got my own Atari,  then I Never saw the game in stores!  Ever.  To this day,  when I think of it,  in the back of my mind I consider it a rare game haha...Not really, but it was one of those that they never re-issued and it was no longer on shelves I guess...

If you like it,  my advice is buy an Evercade! (A VS Console or a Handheld,  doesn't matter) then buy the ATARI ARCADE 1 cart.  Do it before it becomes a legacy deal and prices go nuts!  Then you can play the old school B & W arcade version!!  And it is really fun!!  Especially with 2 players!  You can see the point values on each target.  IIRC,  You have to shoot once each time across the screen and you get 3 misses (or something like that) before game over.  My friend was pretty impressed.  For being an old black and white game, it's pretty fun!

canyon-bomber-24789.jpg        Evercade-ATARI-ARCADE-CARTRIDGE-Evercade

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

I played it once at my friends house at least a year before I got my own Atari,  then I Never saw the game in stores!  Ever.  To this day,  when I think of it,  in the back of my mind I consider it a rare game haha...Not really, but it was one of those that they never re-issued and it was no longer on shelves I guess...

If you like it,  my advice is buy an Evercade! (A VS Console or a Handheld,  doesn't matter) then buy the ATARI ARCADE 1 cart.  Do it before it becomes a legacy deal and prices go nuts!  Then you can play the old school B & W arcade version!!  And it is really fun!!  Especially with 2 players!  You can see the point values on each target.  IIRC,  You have to shoot once each time across the screen and you get 3 misses (or something like that) before game over.  My friend was pretty impressed.  For being an old black and white game, it's pretty fun!

This is good advice, and as an Evercade owner I would say... Buy an Evercade! I would think that there is quite a crossover of interests with 2600 Plus owners - Both use physical media, both play 'retro' games.

Legacy carts do go for crazy prices so if you are interested in a cart then buy it, don't wait around. The Atari collections are pretty good, there are five carts in total. Check them out here:

List of Evercade cartridges - Wikipedia

Games from the 2600, 7800, Arcade & Lynx are included in these collections. Blaze are also releasing, under their other brand Hyper Mega Tech, an Atari handheld which includes 50 games, some of which are not on any of the Evercade carts. The games are from the 2600, 5200, 7800, Arcade & Lynx.

EDIT:

Amongst the Evercade colletion you will notice that there are also two Intellivision carts, of course now Atari too.

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

OK, John you've got my attention. What do you mean when you say goes legacy? I looked up this console version on Amazon. Is this what you are referring to?

evercade console.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bigfriendly said:

OK, John you've got my attention. What do you mean when you say goes legacy? I looked up this console version on Amazon. Is this what you are referring to?

evercade console.jpg

When an Evercade cart goes legacy it means that their licence has expired so they can no longer manufacture it. Of course you are then forced onto the used market to get a copy, at vastly inflated prices. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Taiwan River Raid II is a very good PAL M.A.S.H. hack with ships😊

A good two player game🤙

20240802_172325.jpg

20240802_172421.jpg

Yes, this is the one I was looking at, but I already have MASH. I do prefer the water setting, but I am not sure if it's a river being raided!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

I've been thinking about this and if you look back it does seem like after Space Invaders and Asteroids came out many of Atari's earlier titles pretty much became an afterthought. I never knew anybody that had games like 3D Tic Tac Toe, Flag Capture, Hangman etc. Without looking the only games that come to mind that I played that was older than Space Invaders was Combat and Indy 500. Plus in 1980 Activision started putting out games and many of their early titles are pretty simple but they were still way better than most of Atari's early efforts.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, shane857 said:

Loving the Artwork 😂

Yes, indeed and it does not reflect the game play...

Is he a pilot who was shot down? But you see a sinking ship🤔

Quelle would have picked a title like "Lazarettshiff", "S.O.S." or "Rettung in Seenot" but River Raid II? Ok, you can raid a river by ship😅

Today you would think of a refugee child when you look at the label🤔

Edited by DEANJIMMY
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, bigfriendly said:

evercade console.jpg

Yep!  That is the system!  And they have console and handheld versions available...

For example,

SP_Atari-510x510.png   HMT-TAITO-SUPER-POCKET_1500x15009-510x51  Evercade_EXP-R_1500X1500_Packaging_02-51 EVERCADEVS-R_STARTERPACK_1500x1500_21-51

ALPHA-BEAUTY-MEGAMANA-4-510x510.png

You might check out what SONGBIRD has available... (Also @Songbird is on AtariAge!)

They make some Great Retro products...Although you may have many of the games already,   Evercade is big on doing carts that are licensed collections of games, (I.e. Mega Cat games, Piko games, Interplay Games, Renovation games, Data East games,  etc. Often grouped by Publishers or devs).  So there may be games you already have on Atari, Amiga, NES, Turbografx, Lynx, Genesis, Intellivision etc....But it's kind of a new way to discover hidden gems and homebrews! ....And the carts play on the consoles and the handhelds (although there are a few exceptions due to licensing,  for example a couple of Namco carts(NES titles IIRC) play on the handheld but not the VS. and the Taito, Capcom, and other handhelds will have built-in games and not carts for the VS...(So there are some exceptions)...

And as far as Legacy,...

5 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

When an Evercade cart goes legacy it means that their licence has expired so they can no longer manufacture it. Of course you are then forced onto the used market to get a copy, at vastly inflated prices. 

^ This!

It should be noted that, (especially for carts) usually they keep stuff available for quite a while, and they're not known for limited editions or artificial scarcity...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Yes, indeed and it does not reflect the game play...

Is he a pilot who was shot down? But you see a sinking ship🤔

Quelle would have picked a title like "Lazarettshiff", "S.O.S." or "Rettung in Seenot" but River Raid II? Ok, you can raid a river by ship😅

Today you would think of a refugee child when you look at the label🤔

Yes the Artwork is very confusing. Makes me want to dive into the sea to save the drowning child! 

The Zellers(Taiwan) released bootleg games are the same. 

There's this one. You would think it was ghostbusters but it isn't. 😂

s-l960.webp

challenge_zellers.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, shane857 said:

Yes the Artwork is very confusing. Makes me want to dive into the sea to save the drowning child! 

s-l960.webp

challenge_zellers.gif

If Atari are ever able to re-release Ghostbusters with added speech, use this badass Artwork if possible...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, shane857 said:

s-l960.webp

challenge_zellers.gif

What is that game? I remember playing the rom once.

4 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

What is that game? I remember playing the rom once.

"Challenge" (1980)

which is funny since that means afaik this dates zellers games as being post video-game crash due to the ghostbusters and froggo titles.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, bigfriendly said:

How are things going with the paddles on the 2600+? Can you score as well on Kaboom on a + as you do with the real system?

I have to try it on both...

1 hour ago, bigfriendly said:

How are things going with the paddles on the 2600+? Can you score as well on Kaboom on a + as you do with the real system?

Kaboom seems a bit off. Paddles do not seem to respond as quickly as they should.  A Firmware update might remedy this issue. 
I believe they are aware of this. Just not sure where on the list it is and when they’ll get to it.

• Like 2