IGNORED

What Atari 2600/7800 game have you been playing the most today?

shane857

6 minutes ago, shane857 said:

Yeh, they look nice. I personally prefer the red buttons thou. Maybe I've just got accustomed to Red for fire/action.

I actually 100% agree with you. I too am used to Red denoting fire/action, but I like the look of these one-off controllers. I purchased a regular CX78+ as well as, a second CX40+ to go with my 2600+. I plan on making the blue buttons my daily driver controller, this way I can keep the red buttoned one as a backup. ;-)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

I actually 100% agree with you. I too am used to Red denoting fire/action, but I like the look of these one-off controllers. I purchased a regular CX78+ as well as, a second CX40+ to go with my 2600+. I plan on making the blue buttons my daily driver controller, this way I can keep the red buttoned one as a backup. ;-)

What ever happened to the blue button paddles?  That would be a classy mod to determine which is the left or right paddle.  I would buy a pair of blue paddle buttons to mod my own.  They should just start selling parts.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Bitsized said:

What ever happened to the blue button paddles?  That would be a classy mod to determine which is the left or right paddle.  I would buy a pair of blue paddle buttons to mod my own.  They should just start selling parts.

Yeah I'd like a set to make player one red and player two blue.

Do some games make one paddle player one and others games the other? Or is there a standard player one paddle? 

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bitsized said:

I like the idea of Blue and Red paddle controllers. 👍🏻 Whenever I use the paddle controllers I always have to check the cables to see which is Left or Right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shane857 said:

I like the idea of Blue and Red paddle controllers. 👍🏻 Whenever I use the paddle controllers I always have to check the cables to see which is Left or Right.

yeah.  That's what I'm sayin'! @JetmanUKI sometimes think the "right" corded paddle is the player one and sometimes it's the left but most often it is the left (I think) - I don't have the hard data on that.  @MrChickenz is the paddle expert, I feel.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bitsized said:

yeah.  That's what I'm sayin'! @JetmanUKI sometimes think the "right" corded paddle is the player one and sometimes it's the left but most often it is the left (I think) - I don't have the hard data on that.  @MrChickenz is the paddle expert, I feel.

When the paddles are connected to the 2600 I believe the left paddle is player one right is player two. Mine are marked with red and blue tape on the wire. The red which is left seems to always be player one.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bitsized said:

well i already asked for my name to be put in the blue button paddle give me free controllers please list so i will let you know personally when Nolan Bushnell and the President of the United States come over to my house in a helicopter and hand me my paddles if they are as cool blue as they sound...

/j /lh obv :D

• Haha 2

@bigfriendly what controller are you using for Dragster? I’m using CX40. When you move the joystick left it’s the clutch when you release it goes in gear. I had to refresh my memory with the manual. Also to restart push right on the joystick. I kept pressing reset on the console what a pain.

IMG_1575.jpeg

IMG_1577.jpeg

IMG_1576.jpeg

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

i am getting pretty into Choplifter! on 7800, i hear the SMS version is the superior one but i like this version too, although the company that did the conversion (ibid) was kinda infamous apparently for bat ports like Karateka, this one isn't that bad, although i find the jets to be a massive pain to react to

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

IMG_1573.jpeg

David Crane made some badass looking dragsters, but why oh why did he choose this colour scheme?!? I kinda like the ZX Spectrum look, but even the Spectrum would have had a better colour scheme here.

I saw a hack on these forums with better colours and it really transfers the atmosphere of the game. Look:

Screenshot2024-08-15130220.thumb.png.cf70813909f8c6a501bb0e876293ddf5.png

Anyway, I need to learn how to play this one, RTFM time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

David Crane made some badass looking dragsters, but why oh why did he choose this colour scheme?!? I kinda like the ZX Spectrum look, but even the Spectrum would have had a better colour scheme here.

I saw a hack on these forums with better colours and it really transfers the atmosphere of the game. Look:

Screenshot2024-08-15130220.thumb.png.cf70813909f8c6a501bb0e876293ddf5.png

Anyway, I need to learn how to play this one, RTFM time.

At least with your color scheme you’re driving on a roadway! With my color scheme I’m driving on grass!

image.jpeg.74981a94dd3031a493644c8a2e2850c2.jpeg

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 1

@shane857

No, I wouldn’t say like Decathlon. To shift gears you tap the joystick left this is the clutch, when you release and it recenters this is the gear. You can’t down shift. So it’s tap left release, tap left release, tap left release, tap left release all while pressing the button for gas or quickly releasing the button so you won’t blow your engine. Just don’t make the mistake I made when playing I kept resetting using the console reset. Joystick right will reset it makes for better game play.

Unfortunately the CX78+ is not the best controller for this game in my opinion, I feel the CX 40 is the best choice. Because the way the joystick springs back. Unless someone can prove otherwise.

When you play it for a bit you’ll find yourself getting into the rhythm and it’s game on!

I think this is an underrated Activison game. I like this one. 

Game select 2 is more challenging as you have to steer your dragster avoiding the walls.

note: When pressing right on joystick to reset the RPMs has to be all the way down.

Edit: Hee! Hee! It’s all coming back to me now! 5.97

IMG_1580.jpeg

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

@shane857

No, I wouldn’t say like Decathlon. To shift gears you tap the joystick left this is the clutch, when you release and it recenters this is the gear. You can’t down shift. So it’s tap left release, tap left release, tap left release, tap left release all while pressing the button for gas or quickly releasing the button so you won’t blow your engine. Just don’t make the mistake I made when playing I kept resetting using the console reset. Joystick right will reset it makes for better game play.

Unfortunately the CX78+ is not the best controller for this game in my opinion, I feel the CX 40 is the best choice. Because the way the joystick springs back. Unless someone can prove otherwise.

When you play it for a bit you’ll find yourself getting into the rhythm and it’s game on!

I think this is an underrated Activison game. I like this one. 

Game select 2 is more challenging as you have to steer your dragster avoiding the walls.

note: When pressing right on joystick to reset the RPMs has to be all the way down.

Edit: Hee! Hee! It’s all coming back to me now! 5.97

IMG_1580.jpeg

I've been playing around with this, whats nice about it is because you just restart with right you can just go and go, restarting and playing lots games quickly. It has a mobile game type of immediate playability and accessibility. This makes the game feel very relevant and modern. It's quite fun. 

I seem to fail on the last gear change, I need to learn the timing, I go really slow at the end. Fun game. (I actually own it but  hadn't got round to playing it. 😬🤣). 

• Like 2

I believe the the skill is to let the RPMs go into the red and changing gears just before you blow the engine. This seems to work for gears 3 and 4. Gears 1 and 2 you have to change faster. But don’t quote me on this! 😆 

If your Dragster pops a wheelie I believe that was a good gear shift.

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Maztr_0n said:

i have to get dragster to attempt a sub 6 time, will never happen but lemme see on stella

image.thumb.png.c79affc9d8ae512d56b0c63edaa073fb.png

I KNOW ITS BALLSY TO SAY YOU WANT A SUB 6 TIME FIRST TRY...

and yes it is, after a long time looking over Darbian's tied wr time of 5.57 and doing my best to try to get the rhythm down without blowing the engine, my first ever score is a 8.04, maybe in a few years it'll be closer to 6... i dunno if i ever do anything below 7 i will post...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

Unfortunately the CX78+ is not the best controller for this game in my opinion, I feel the CX 40 is the best choice.

I stand corrected on this statement. I guess I’m just not use to the CX78 controller. I’ve been trying it again this time with the thumb stick removed and it’s very good for Dragster.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Maztr_0n said:

image.thumb.png.c79affc9d8ae512d56b0c63edaa073fb.png

I KNOW ITS BALLSY TO SAY YOU WANT A SUB 6 TIME FIRST TRY...

and yes it is, after a long time looking over Darbian's tied wr time of 5.57 and doing my best to try to get the rhythm down without blowing the engine, my first ever score is a 8.04, maybe in a few years it'll be closer to 6... i dunno if i ever do anything below 7 i will post...

Keep trying you’ll get it!

• Thanks 1