IGNORED

What Atari 2600/7800 game have you been playing the most today?

shane857

8 hours ago, Maztr_0n said:

i will def...

i hope i could someday also get like some of my peers in age's thoughts, i mean those whom grew up with the 360 controller, its gotta be such a radical change.

Proline was what I used in the 80s. It was far better than the CX40, but... yeah. All those controllers predate the wide adoptance of the nes classic "gamepad" that has the now ubiquitous d-pad. So... yeah it's not great. It's usable, and it is classic and it is how people played the 7800 in the US. But other than that, you have better options. 

I still have nightmares trying to use that thing with Karateka. lol. 

Time's moved on tho, and unless it's nostalgia or trying to be accurate, AFAIC, there is no need not to adopt better control options. 

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, tradyblix said:

Proline was what I used in the 80s. It was far better than the CX40, but... yeah. All those controllers predate the wide adoptance of the nes classic "gamepad" that has the now ubiquitous d-pad. So... yeah it's not great. It's usable, and it is classic and it is how people played the 7800 in the US. But other than that, you have better options. 

I still have nightmares trying to use that thing with Karateka. lol. 

Time's moved on tho, and unless it's nostalgia or trying to be accurate, AFAIC, there is no need not to adopt better control options. 

Karateka 7800 with the Proline sounds like Dark Souls with the Power Glove

Ong...

And obviously i have a CX78+ and whatever, i just need to discover the worst controllers of all time and wether they are or not, i must indiana jones this...

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Maztr_0n said:

Karateka 7800 with the Proline sounds like Dark Souls with the Power Glove

Ong...

And obviously i have a CX78+ and whatever, i just need to discover the worst controllers of all time and wether they are or not, i must indiana jones this...

Let me know if you find any games you prefer using it with. 

On 8/18/2024 at 11:04 PM, tradyblix said:

Let me know if you find any games you prefer using it with. 

Gotcha i may tackle my entire library and see which ones are great with CX24 and which ones are nicer on CX78.

• Like 1

I've been playing Planet Smashers this evening. It's an 'almost' game, it's almost a really good game. I still had some fun, but an enhanced version with some tweaks would be nice.

Things I'd improve:

Adjust the tone of your fire sound effect, a slightly less grating one would be nice. 

Make the wait between dying and the 'Get Ready' appearing on the screen much much less, it needs to feel slicker and more immediate, you should be able to get back into t action a lot swifter. Perhaps a sound effect should be added as 'Get Ready' appears on the screen too.

Improve your ships sprite, it's probably the worse one in the game. 

Tweak some of the enemy sprites to add a little variety.

Make the easy mode easier! (Or am I just rubbish? 🤷🏻🤣)

All this aside, I think it's still a fun game, if you can pick it up cheap enough then I'd recommend it... I even quite like the out of tune tune. Kinda. 

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

I've been playing Planet Smashers this evening. It's an 'almost' game, it's almost a really good game. I still had some fun, but an enhanced version with some tweaks would be nice.

Things I'd improve:

Adjust the tone of your fire sound effect, a slightly less grating one would be nice. 

Make the wait between dying and the 'Get Ready' appearing on the screen much much less, it needs to feel slicker and more immediate, you should be able to get back into t action a lot swifter. Perhaps a sound effect should be added as 'Get Ready' appears on the screen too.

Improve your ships sprite, it's probably the worse one in the game. 

Tweak some of the enemy sprites to add a little variety.

Make the easy mode easier! (Or am I just rubbish? 🤷🏻🤣)

All this aside, I think it's still a fun game, if you can pick it up cheap enough then I'd recommend it... I even quite like the out of tune tune. Kinda. 

This is one I'm looking to pick up. Can be pricey CIB

2 hours ago, Dr Karnov said:

I really like Planet Smashers. It's definitely a game with more depth than it first appears. Takes a while for the challenge to ramp up though 

As a bonus, it runs much better on the 2600+ than on the Evercade 

I haven't tried it on the Evercade in a while, I need to compare it. I did play it on Antstream last night and it did not feel as nice on there at all. Good to know we are playing it the best way, outside of original hardware of course, although the picture quality wouldn't be as good there so it's close. 

• Like 1

On 8/21/2024 at 12:12 PM, Maztr_0n said:

Gotcha i may tackle my entire library and see which ones are great with CX24 and which ones are nicer on CX78.

oh this is indeed the post where i said to do this but couldn't do all my games, however somewhere else i posted it because somehow i couldn't find this forum post????

i'm too young to lose my memory!!!

But repeat, i kind of liked some flight games like Air Raiders or driving titles like Fatal Run with it.

• Like 1

HAVE YOU PLAYED ATARI 2600+ TODAY? I HAVE!

BIG BENS BLUE BUTTON BLASTER!

Today I’m playing Big Ben’s Blue Button Blaster.

The object of the game is to Blast the falling Red Button Controllers while avoiding the Blue Button Controllers.

Tip: Move left or right to avoid Ben from getting bonked with a Red Button Controller!

IMG_1671.jpeg

IMG_1667.jpeg

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, MrChickenz said:

HAVE YOU PLAYED ATARI 2600+ TODAY? I HAVE!

BIG BENS BLUE BUTTON BLASTER!

Today I’m playing Big Ben’s Blue Button Blaster.

The object of the game is to Blast the falling Red Button Controllers while avoiding the Blue Button Controllers.

Tip: Move left or right to avoid Ben from getting bonked with a Red Button Controller!

IMG_1671.jpeg

IMG_1667.jpeg

Big Ben, joysticks, getting bonked? Is this an 18 rated game? 😱😱😱

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Big Ben, joysticks, getting bonked? Is this an 18 rated game? 😱😱😱

No, it’s E for Everyone! There has to be a game that goes with the Ben’s Blue Button Controllers! Right?😆🤣😂
It would make a good Homebrew!😁

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

No, it’s E for Everyone! There has to be a game that goes with the Ben’s Blue Button Controllers! Right?😆🤣😂
It would make a good Homebrew!😁

This is because you have to shoot chickens in the original game isn't it?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

I’m also a member of the Save the Chicken Foundation! lol.

IMG_1673.jpeg

Ditto, it is why the only freeway we have in my house is the bloody human kind.

We've asked why did the chicken cross the road but never how did the chicken cross the road? Now we need to find out for ourselves the truth of the struggle that those domesticated, avian-dinosaurs had to do to get to the other side...

Or die trying and laughing at the bloody stickman.

Genuinely the reason i havent made a label for bloody human freeway is, its one of the handful of games i'd want to work on with my partner to do some original art for it :)

Tonight, I'm playing two of my most recent "expensive" purchases:

Bump N Jump

and

Gyruss

I feel that both of these are excellent, solid ports to the VCS.  When I was a teen, I played Bump N Jump a LOT in the arcades.  For me, the VCS port is definitely more difficult but a LOT of fun to play.

Gyruss, I owned an actual arcade machine and played many games on it.  The VCS port is solid, even if it is lacking sound effects, but the soundtrack is killer.  The graphics are pretty darn good for this machine's limited memory, and the gameplay is solid.  Yes, it plays slower than arcade but is still fun as heck.

Which brings me to WHY many games are fun:  playability.  Sure, graphics are lacking, but the gameplay and longevity, unlike most of today's games, is solid.  Give me low graphics and a solid gameplay over fancy graphics and weak gameplay (and longevity) ANY day.

I would highly recommend these two games to everyone out there.  

Edited by Ripweade
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Ripweade said:

Bump N Jump

and

Gyruss

I feel that both of these are excellent, solid ports to the VCS.  When I was a teen, I played Bump N Jump a LOT in the arcades.  For me, the VCS port is definitely more difficult but a LOT of fun to play.

Gyruss, I owned an actual arcade machine and played many games on it.  The VCS port is solid, even if it is lacking sound effects, but the soundtrack is killer.  The graphics are pretty darn good for this machine's limited memory, and the gameplay is solid.  Yes, it plays slower than arcade but is still fun as heck.

Which brings me to WHY many games are fun:  playability.  Sure, graphics are lacking, but the gameplay and longevity, unlike most of today's games, is solid.  Give me low graphics and a solid gameplay over fancy graphics and weak gameplay (and longevity) ANY day.

These are 2 games I do not own for the 2600. Since you highly recommend them I will keep an eye out for them. I totally agree it’s not always about the graphics.  Sounds like fun! Thank You!

21 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

These are 2 games I do not own for the 2600. Since you highly recommend them I will keep an eye out for them. I totally agree it’s not always about the graphics.  Sounds like fun! Thank You!

You're welcome!  The gameplay on both are definitely solid to me.  Some may disagree, and that's fine, I am only sharing my feel on these.  Honestly, I could play both of these all night!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ripweade said:

Bump N Jump

and

Gyruss

I would like to get a copy of Gyruss. That is probably the best music I've heard on a 2600 game.

• Like 2

Today I’m playing Checkers and noticing that the diagonal movements are a little bit easier on my hands using then CX78+ instead of the CX40+.  
For no particular reason, I’m playing on the black and white display setting.
I was pretty young when this game came out but I would imagine it was remarkable to be able to play checkers without another person back then. 

• Like 1