IGNORED

What Atari 2600/7800 game have you been playing the most today?

shane857

On 9/8/2024 at 8:14 PM, JetmanUK said:

I loved the Rob Hubbard C64 music on this game. I used to play this on my bro's C64 all the time... when he was out. 🤣 Eventually it became my C64 and I played both Spectrum and C64. 

Loved the SID chip sound effects and music, but always prefered my Spectrum overall. 

I never had a C64 or Spectrum but my mates did,just preordered the new Spectrum console and a C64 maxi and can’t wait to discover some gems I missed out on.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Microjak said:

I never had a C64 or Spectrum but my mates did,just preordered the new Spectrum console and a C64 maxi and can’t wait to discover some gems I missed out on.

You will find some games are better on the ZX Spectrum and other games on the the C64.. Ok another thread.. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

I remember Time Pilot in the arcades, of course, but mainly remember seeing it in the ColecoVision kiosk at Montgomery Wards, 

The ColecoVision port is pretty good. I like the 2600 port, preferred the OG ColecoVision port until the Vectrex homebrew Vector Pilot came about. 

IMG_6003.jpeg

IMG_6004.jpeg

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Microjak said:

Very nice! They both have great games, and exclusives. Many games are on both, some better on each platform, some I like to play  even if one is objectively 'better'.

Be careful not to dismiss a game at first glance on the Spectrum due to it's odd or limited colour palette, many play better, for example Robocop. This game had limited, mostly monochrome colours, but it still features nice graphics and sound and plays much better than the C64 version. Batman the Movie and Afterburner are spectrum classics, but not so much on the C64. 

Many games are like this actually. Racing games and 3D games are usually better on the Spectrum too. C64 is good for shooters and games with smooth scrolling, but don't sleep on juddery scrolling highly coloured Spectrum games, there are a few, Savage, Karnov, Altered Beast etc that still play great. 

It's fair to say I have a bias towards the Spectrum as it was my computer, but all the time I had access to the C64 too (a lot of the time anyway and eventually owned one) and just preferred many games on the humble Speccy. 

You've got a lot of fun ahead, the Speccy/C64 was our NES/Master System. Yes the Nintendo and Sega machines were sold over here, but never in great numbers and too late to the party, it was all about the home computers, they stomped all over the Japanese consoles, until the 16 bit era. 

We could do our homework on computers too, aapparently. Nah, we all just gamed on them and cassette games were cheap! No crash in the UK. 🤟🏻😊

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Very nice! They both have great games, and exclusives. Many games are on both, some better on each platform, some I like to play  even if one is objectively 'better'.

Be careful not to dismiss a game at first glance on the Spectrum due to it's odd or limited colour palette, many play better, for example Robocop. This game had limited, mostly monochrome colours, but it still features nice graphics and sound and plays much better than the C64 version. Batman the Movie and Afterburner are spectrum classics, but not so much on the C64. 

Many games are like this actually. Racing games and 3D games are usually better on the Spectrum too. C64 is good for shooters and games with smooth scrolling, but don't sleep on juddery scrolling highly coloured Spectrum games, there are a few, Savage, Karnov, Altered Beast etc that still play great. 

It's fair to say I have a bias towards the Spectrum as it was my computer, but all the time I had access to the C64 too (a lot of the time anyway and eventually owned one) and just preferred many games on the humble Speccy. 

You've got a lot of fun ahead, the Speccy/C64 was our NES/Master System. Yes the Nintendo and Sega machines were sold over here, but never in great numbers and too late to the party, it was all about the home computers, they stomped all over the Japanese consoles, until the 16 bit era. 

We could do our homework on computers too, aapparently. Nah, we all just gamed on them and cassette games were cheap! No crash in the UK. 🤟🏻😊

Yep, in Germany the 8bit and 16bit Homecomputers were our game machines, too.

I knew one guy with an NES and another with a Mega Drive😅

We had C64, 800XL, Schneider (Amstrad), and then Amiga and Atari ST🤙

Other Computers were rare like the gaming consoles.

After my Amiga faded away, I had an MSDos PC and never liked the gaming on it.

There were a few great games like Doom, Dark Forces, Descent and Point and Click Adventures but finally the Playstation brought the fun back I had with the first consoles and the Homcomputers😊

And since that time, I use computers for work and consoles for fun😎

• Like 4

One of my favorite DOS games is Empire I still play it today using DosBox. It's turn-based Strategy. 

You can play against computer or human opponents.  Highly addictive! 

Human play is Hot Seat or PBM.

PBM I thought was a cool idea because this feature you can still use today!

IMG_1875.jpeg

IMG_1876.gif

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Great,thanks for the recommendations 👍🍻

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Heck I still even load games on my ZX Spectrum the old skool way. Tape cassette in tape cassette player

It's actually quite surprising how most 40 year old tapes still work. I'm way off topic now.. 😂

zx-spectrum-sinclair-spectrum.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, shane857 said:

Heck I still even load games on my ZX Spectrum the old skool way. Tape cassette in tape cassette player

It's actually quite surprising how most 40 year old tapes still work. I'm way off topic now.. 😂

zx-spectrum-sinclair-spectrum.gif

Can't beat those Speccy loading sounds for pure nostalgia.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

Speaking of DOS games, I can’t believe I still have this. Can anyone guess what this is for?

IMG_1877.jpeg

I used to have the exact same one!  It's a disk notcher for 5.25" diskettes.  You would notch a side to turn a single sided disk into a double sided disk.  It saved me a lot of money!

I used to use it for my C64 and later a PC.

Edited by Ripweade
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ripweade said:

I used to have the exact same one!  It's a disk notcher for 5.25" diskettes.  You would notch a side to turn a single sided diak into a double sided disk.  It saved me a lot of money!

Ha! That’s it! Lol! I remember reading computer magazine’s articles against using it, they said the other side wasn’t the same and you could lose your data. Funny all those years and the disks were fine never had an issue!

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

HAVE YOU PLAYED ATARI 2600+ TODAY? I HAVE!

ADVENTURES OF TRON!

Playing Adventures Of Tron today! Using Ben’s Blue Button Controller!

This is a great 2600 game, it’s my original from BITD. With a new label and cartridge sleeve thanks to @TheRingBearer.

It looks Brand New! 

IMG_1882.jpeg

IMG_1883.jpeg

IMG_1889.jpeg

IMG_1888.gif

IMG_1887.jpeg

I've played this one a few times, and even after reading the manual, I still can't seem to "get it."  It does seem that once I do I will love it, but for now, it confuses me a bit.

Tron Deadly Discs is a different story.  I still have mine when I bought it new and just played it the other night.  I'm not as good as I used to be, but that one is fun!

1 minute ago, Ripweade said:

I've played this one a few times, and even after reading the manual, I still can't seem to "get it."  It does seem that once I do I will love it, but for now, it confuses me a bit.

Tron Deadly Discs is a different story.  I still have mine when I bought it new and just played it the other night.  I'm not as good as I used to be, but that one is fun!

The confusion with the Adventures of Tron is, in order for the elevator to work you have to pass the center of the screen. If you go up and fall back down you have to run pass the center of the screen again. This is what activates or resets the Elevator. So after every use of the elevator you have to go left or right to pass the center then you can use either side of the elevator.

What I like about Tron Deadly Discs is you only have one life but as you get hit it decreases your health and change color. But you can also heal by not taking any hits while completing a level. You can actually bring yourself back to full health if you can avoid taking hits.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

The confusion with the Adventures of Tron is, in order for the elevator to work you have to pass the center of the screen. If you go up and fall back down you have to run pass the center of the screen again. This is what activates or resets the Elevator. So after every use of the elevator you have to go left or right to pass the center then you can use either side of the elevator.

What I like about Tron Deadly Discs is you only have one life but as you get hit it decreases your health and change color. But you can also heal by not taking any hits while completing a level. You can actually bring yourself back to full health if you can avoid taking hits.

Aha!  That's it!  I would go up the elevator, have a meanie coming towards me and...  die.  Elevator wouldn't work.  I misread the manual and thought you just had to go over the middle once to activate it.

• Like 1

Tonight...

Omega Race!!!

Ok, I bought a 2-button 7800 compatible controller from eBay, but it's because I wanted a wired controller, and sadly, Atari was out of the CX78+.  The seller makes them on demand and it is top quality!

I had Omega Race for a month but couldn't play it.  Controller came today and...

Wow!  This port is amazing!!!  I used to have it on my Commodore Vic-20, which was fantastic, but this one is much better!  I am not as good at it now, but it's fun as heck!

20240910_193304.jpg

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

I had it for Colecovision, played it all the time. I’m glad they got this one working with the 2600+. It is a good port.

How can you play Omega Race with a Space Invaders Controller? Lol.

That controller looks great!😁

Well, they ARE invaders from space, so I consider them to be cousins to the Space Invaders.  :lolblue:

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

Speaking of DOS games, I can’t believe I still have this. Can anyone guess what this is for?

IMG_1877.jpeg

Used a normal notcher or scissors for my C64 Floppies. Denied MSDos until 1994, so I started there with 3 1/2 floppies and got a 2x speed CD Rom quickly. Still have my first game on CD: Dark Forces🤙

Some months ago I extracted the data and got it running via DosBox on my Android tablet😎

20230807_222744.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Used a normal notcher or scissors for my C64 Floppies. Denied MSDos until 1994, so I started there with 3 1/2 floppies and got a 2x speed CD Rom quickly. Still have my first game on CD: Dark Forces🤙

Some months ago I extracted the data and got it running via DosBox on my Android tablet😎

20230807_222744.jpg

That’s awesome! I still have some of my original DOS games. Dark Forces I purchased sealed along with others at a game store some years back but I was never able to get it to run on the computer I had at the time. Here you have it running on a tablet. That’s funny!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ripweade said:

Tonight...

Omega Race!!!

Ok, I bought a 2-button 7800 compatible controller from eBay, but it's because I wanted a wired controller, and sadly, Atari was out of the CX78+.  The seller makes them on demand and it is top quality!

I had Omega Race for a month but couldn't play it.  Controller came today and...

Wow!  This port is amazing!!!  I used to have it on my Commodore Vic-20, which was fantastic, but this one is much better!  I am not as good at it now, but it's fun as heck!

20240910_193304.jpg

Cool Controller.

• Thanks 1