IGNORED

HSC21 Round 2: Zaxxon ** NEW SEASON 2024 JOIN IN ! **

ZAXXON

zaxxon.png.80b72da81f7dd6c5782af327852b41ea.png

The Sega classic Zaxxon is another great pick for this season. Make sure you play the full "disk" version of Zaxxon it's a lot tougher and more importantly a lot better, especially the flying ships stage!

Hints: [trbb] found it best to get through the gaps by looking at where the shots go and making adjustments rather than making notes/memory and using the gauge :) keep firing and look for the bullets going through - little taps to adjust. There are only about 5 force fields and there isn't much else to the game in terms of length so once you've made it once you'll soon be going round it several times. The end guy is fairly easy too.

Trbb's official Zaxxon Hints

First Stage - learn what kills you (usually sweeping right when firing) and avoid it. Don't be too aggressive, you shouldn't lose any men here.

2nd Stage - Not worth going for the 1000pt bonus but not much fun just hiding so I'm going for pick a height (1 or on the ground) and stick to it - look for them changing to that height and fire four shots as they cross you. Stay Mid/Right avoid left perhaps.

3rd Stage - Duck down immediately. Take out several fuels in a sweep across, immediately get up a bit, keep firing look for the missiles passing the gap under the forcefield - tap stick down a bit as required. Do not use the height gauge at all.

4th Stage - take out 3 fuels, set height to 1.5-2 and fire like crazy in the middle, take Mr. Robot out for a little destruction :-o

More trbb Zaxxon ramblings

If you work out the collision issues: sweeping right firing on the guns that face left is a no-no and not getting too close to undestroyed objects from behind, it's very playable for those who like a challenge. I didn't see much difference on the first section as the levels progressed; I guess they had to keep the space down, but the tighter walls, higher fuel burn rate and planes' aggression were more than enough. Plus you have to change strategy on the later levels to target more fuels.

Gets more and more intense :)

[Space] = pause

Bonus Challenges

most robots slayed (not just shot the missiles where you get 200 bonus points) so keep track

highest score on first life

highest score for 1st stage (before you get to the flying planes) on first life

highest score for the first level (all 4 stages) on first life

Downloads

Zaxxon

Info

Everyone welcome to play  - if you missed R1 Super Pacman where were you?!  Just join in here, you can also post a score for R1 ;)

Round ends Sunday 25th February 8pm UK time

• Like 1

8 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

Make sure you play the full "disk" version of Zaxxon it's a lot tougher and more importantly a lot better, especially the flying ships stage!

I have a question: you mentioned the disk version (with quotes) and link to an XEX version on Fandal's site. Is it still the right "disk" version?. I also found the datasoft disk version in Atarimania, just in case.

• Like 1

Zaxxon (killed 3 robots): 59,300

----1st life: 36,900

Played this one quite a bit back in the day.  Enjoyed it though sometimes the collision detection feels unfair.  It definitely requires some memory to know how high to fly through those force fields.    

20240212_214240.jpg

Edited by AtariSphinx
Update score
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, manterola said:

I have a question: you mentioned the disk version (with quotes) and link to an XEX version on Fandal's site. Is it still the right "disk" version?. I also found the datasoft disk version in Atarimania, just in case.

As long as the planes and you can fly to the top of the height gauge on the 2nd stage it's the disk version :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, AtariSphinx said:

Played this one quite a bit back in the day.  Enjoyed it though sometimes the collision detection feels unfair.  It definitely requires some memory to know how high to fly through those force fields.    

See my hints on the 1st post ;) Often it's shots on the right of the screen from adversaries off screen. Firing without lateral movement can mask their shots too :!:

Added some extra bonus challenges to the first post too:

Highest score for the first stage (before the tunnel) without losing a life - 7,650

Highest score for the first level (all three stages) without losing a life

Photo4397.jpg.515ebbd471739e1afe4148a6ba0069ec.jpg

Completed one round and destroyed the Robot best score so far 23,800 :)

• Like 1

On 2/13/2024 at 5:25 AM, AtariSphinx said:

Had another good session this morning, great to have some play time. Stuck with it and improved my strategy, some of those planes really go after you!

Best scores:

First Stage (on 1st life) 8,850 :!:

First Level (on 1st life) 17,600

Robots destroyed 3 (make sure it's not just the 200 bonus for the missile and not the robot which gives a 1000 points )

Photo4404.jpg.88215790f17d47170e93b1cf078f6ba5.jpgPhoto4405.jpg.5398274315a796746989629c3f146f1e.jpgPhoto4406.jpg.7c5a75177a9415f2a33fd289bbff8797.jpg

19 hours ago, Absalon said:

regular game: 13100

Welcome Absalon :thumbsup: feel free to post a score for Round 1 (Super Pacman) before the end of this round for some extra HSC points :)

Getting my goes in early this round - another long session, really enjoying playing some Zaxxon ! Had a 58K go then mustered 76,750 with 4 robots destroyed. First life was 52K but no screenshot as last time it cost me two lives getting it paused [space]. Tight gaps on the walls from level 5 make it tricky :-o

Photo4409.jpg.68475dba6e43237e4d62b07eb1fe109d.jpg

• Like 1

Will start up the R3 poll next!

[Here>>>] https://forums.atariage.com/topic/361717-hsc21-round-3-poll/

first tables

Zaxxon        
  Player   Score   Points
1st therealbountybob   76,750   12
2nd AtariSphinx   59,300   11
3rd Deteacher   22,950   10
4th graywest   20,800   9
5th McKong                 16,450   8
6th Absalon   13,100   7
7th MichaG   11,050   6

Robots Destroyed  
  Player Score
1st therealbountybob 4
2nd AtariSphinx 3

3rd    McKong                                   1

3rd    Deteacher                               1

First Stage  
  Player Score
1st therealbountybob 8,850

First Level    
  Player Score  
1st therealbountybob 17,600  

First Life  
  Player Score
1st therealbountybob 52,000
2nd AtariSphinx 36,900

Had 9500 on the first stage (can't find photo so will get another one next session hopefully). I suspect it's setup so you can make 10K with a bit of skill. The deaths on the right side (and later on in the third stage) are all to do with those sideways guns. The pause key lags on the Atari anyway, but sometimes you shoot through the first fuel thing and hit the gun, possibly you are moving and hitting your own missile. Either way avoid firing like mad and moving back on yourself. If you just sweep right firing 1234 it seems ok.

Improved today to 79,450 getting close to the final stage of the 5th round, the narrow gaps in the walls are tricky and come at you much faster I think. 64K first life.

:)

Photo4412.jpg

• Like 1

Reminder this round ends

Sunday 8pm UK time ;)

Vote Here for Round 3 >>> https://forums.atariage.com/topic/361717-hsc21-round-3-poll/

latest tables

Zaxxon        
  Player   Score   Points
1st therealbountybob   85,950   12
2nd AtariSphinx   59,300   11
3rd RedThunder   38,400   10
4th Deteacher   22,950   9
5th graywest   20,800   8
6th McKong                 16,450   7
7th Absalon   13,100   6
8th MichaG   11,050   5
9th Atari8guy   10,550   4