IGNORED

Arcade joystick box for Atari. New, made by me in wood, with video review!

Hazon78

Hi everyone. I wanted to share one of my handcrafted creations with you.
This is a joystick with the classic DB9, 9pin connection, obviously working for all those 8-bit consoles such as Atari, Commodore, Msx, Amstrad, Spectrum... etc..
Both the control lever and the buttons have microswitches, made with attention to detail and very robust.
Many customizations are possible, from graphics, to the number of buttons, position of the levers, type of console/computer and more.
It was reviewed by "Vintage Gaming Memories" on his channel, here is a link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2NaWBmFD58&list=LL&index=2
If you have any questions or requests, just ask.

Foto 01.jpg

Foto 02.jpg

Foto 04.jpg

Foto 05.jpg

Edited by Hazon78
  • Like 2

You mention that the buttons you've used have MicroSwitches, but they appear to be a modern Japanese-Style pushbutton, which I thought were only available with KeySwitches.  See pic for reference:

7AS3ZB.png

Does the underside of your button look like the one on the left, with a KeySwitch...or the one on the right, with a true MicroSwitch?

hi doubledown, I always thought that my buttons were with microswitches, because when you press them they give you that sensation, not like membrane contacts.
Looking at your images it's like the one on the left, KeySwitch. I didn't know before now that these two variants existed.
I thank you.

• Like 1

No problem...always happy to educate!  😁  

The trademarked (at least at one point) term MicroSwitch, as in, a snap-acting switch, like the "miniature" size variant used in the Western-Style pushbutton from my pic, is what most people think of when, the term MicroSwitch is used...especially when talking about arcade/video game controls...especially for us older folk, who remember the change from LeafSwitches to MicroSwitches.  Often times I see people use the term MicroSwitch, where they really just mean "micro" switch...in that the switch itself is a very small switch...but not truly a snap-acting MicroSwitch.  Most of the KeySwitches used in modern Japanese pushbuttons (and their copies/clones), are usually silent switches...just like the ones used in modern computer keyboards (hence the name KeySwitch), and the only noise heard, if any, when actuated, is the plastic plunger bottoming out into the plastic body, when manipulated.  I've seen some refer to these types of pushbuttons as audibly "clicky", even though they're truly not (with regards to the switch)...as any click heard, is that of plastic against plastic...not the switch itself.  If you can press the pushbutton slowly/lightly to where it actuates, and it makes little to no audible "click" sound, but then you can also slap it fast/hard, and then you definitely hear something like a "click" sound, then it is usually a KeySwitch.  True MicroSwitches, will always audibly click, no matter how slow or fast they are operated.  Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with either a MicroSwitch, or a KeySwitch, or even an old school LeafSwtich...for arcade/video game controls...but there are those, who definitely prefer one type versus the others, and some may be disappointed if purchasing something advertised as one thing, but in actuality, it is something different. 

I was honestly more curious to know if you found a true Japanese style MicroSwitch pushbutton, more than anything else...as I've never seen one...not in modern times anyways.   

Thanks for the info.
But you say that in the Japanese keySwitch buttons the click you hear is due to the contact of the plastic with the plastic but in the ones I have this is not the case. I slowly press the button and hear the click of the switch (or microswitch) then if I continue to press the button it still has movement before reaching the end of its travel. Even if pressed quickly, the click of the switch is perfectly distinguishable.
I'll try to disassemble one and post a photo of the internal mechanism.
However I have never seen a button like in your photo on the right.

13 hours ago, doubledown said:

The trademarked (at least at one point) term MicroSwitch, as in, a snap-acting switch,

Micro Switch with a space between the words is the true trademark held by Honeywell, the combined word 'microswitch' is a legitimate generalization as defined by Merriam-Webster and perfectly applicable to refer to a great number of things, such as the Japanese style buttons used in the above advertised joystick. Slipped into the public lexicon by unfortunate carelessness of the public such as coke, kleenex, and xerox, etc.

6 hours ago, Hazon78 said:

Thanks for the info.
But you say that in the Japanese keySwitch buttons the click you hear is due to the contact of the plastic with the plastic but in the ones I have this is not the case. I slowly press the button and hear the click of the switch (or microswitch) then if I continue to press the button it still has movement before reaching the end of its travel. Even if pressed quickly, the click of the switch is perfectly distinguishable.
I'll try to disassemble one and post a photo of the internal mechanism.
However I have never seen a button like in your photo on the right.

It's definitely possible that your pushbutton switches make a clicking sound...old school computer keyboards had audibly clicky keyswitches, before they moved to silent.  I've still got an old IBM keyboard that has the clicky keyswitches...and I love it for it's vintage-ness...but it is loud.  I've used Japanese style pushbuttons from Sanwa, Seimitsu, and QANBA, and Western style pushbuttons from Ultimarc, and all of these use silent keyswitches, but yours indeed may be clicky...it is possible.  All depends on the brand, and the type of switch they use.  

The Western style pushbutton from my pic is an iL (Industrias Lorenzo) PSL-C pushbutton.  These are the general type/style of pushbuttons that have been used in lots of arcade games in most of the western hemisphere, since...somewhere around the mid-80s-ish...give or take.  The pictured "C" variant, is their newer (as of the last couple of years) super short version, which can allow for mounting into shallower depths, versus their original PSL-L (long) versions, that require about 2-1/2" of mounting depth (but the PSL-L buttons were made that long to be installed into 3/4" thick wood panels, on full size arcade cabinets).    

2 hours ago, Bratwurst said:

Micro Switch with a space between the words is the true trademark held by Honeywell, the combined word 'microswitch' is a legitimate generalization as defined by Merriam-Webster and perfectly applicable to refer to a great number of things, such as the Japanese style buttons used in the above advertised joystick. Slipped into the public lexicon by unfortunate carelessness of the public such as coke, kleenex, and xerox, etc.

Thanks for the clarification.  I myself am old enough to remember when "clicky" Micro Switch advertised joysticks started coming out for the Atari 2600 and similar, to replace our broken/damaged CX-40s.  Wherein their advertised MicroSwitches (regardless of how they were spelled, with or without a space) were in fact referring to miniature snap-acting microswitches...versus say the silent leaf switches used by WICO, or the "domed" contacts of a CX-40.  At the time, people seemed to love the clicky-ness, as they knew that if they heard the click, their on-screen character should move.  Obviously just a placebo affect, as a CX-40, or other silent leaf switch joysticks work just fine, when everything is working properly.  

The Competition Pro 5000 for example, was sold/advertised with MICROSWITCHES (noted right on the front of the box)...

TDdA29.jpg

...but in fact only included these advertised clicky snap-acting MICROSWITCHES on the joystick, and used silent Leaf Switches on the pushbuttons...due to mounting depth  

iPDuRp.jpg

But its like you say, people use different words, for things...depends on who you talk to.  All Kleenex are facial tissue, but not all facial tissue are Kleenex.  

By the by, @Hazon78 you have created a nice looking joystick controller, well done.  

2 hours ago, ClassicGMR said:

@Hazon78 Would you be selling just the enclosure by chance?

Yes. If you want I can sell you just the case. However, I cannot guarantee that the components you will insert will fit perfectly into the holes in the upper dashboard.

If you want to proceed with the purchase, tell me and I will make a dedicated advertisement for you on eBay.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, ClassicGMR said:

I have two of these in my hands. I haven’t built into them yet but they are fabulous! They have good heft and are designed very well! Thanks Hazon. 😊

Thanks, I'm really glad you like them!

• Like 1