IGNORED

Why is the Genesis/Megadrive so downplayed these days?

JPF997

18 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

The N64 wasn't inferior to the Jaguar, are you crazy? 🤨 Also it may have been able to display less polygons that the PlayStation, but it had several advantages that were not necessarily used well back then. Just look at what people like Kaze Emanuar are doing these days; the N64 was way more powerful than it looked back then.

I should note that I'm not counting romhacks and ports. I'm talking about actual original games. I mean...I would love to have a drag-n-drop devkit/engine based on SM64, but I still think the N64 is still more difficult than the GameBoy Advance. However, I wouldn't knock N64's capabilities either. It's a nice system. I wish it had more games that have full-on voice-acting like Conker's Bad Fur Day had. Plus the low-poly look still has its charm, even for today's voxel-based graphics. In fact, I wonder if the N64 had the capability to render voxels anyway.

Wrt total sales to be fair in the Americas the snes/md race was a tie, in Europe the md won by about 50%, in JP the snes mopped the floor 5:1 because reasons.

These are sales numbers split by region:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles_by_region

JP alone accounts for 13.5M of the total WW sales diff of 18M https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles  … so unless you lived in JP the md was on equal footing with the snes … at least wrt actual sales.

Edited by phoenixdownita

roots is right @r_chase even if he didn't bring up kaze, if you think the N64 was inferior to the jaguar you've just lost all form of credibility in actual period era games, even period era ones found later that didn't make it ...not some high end genius like kaze who pulled off some insane stuff the last few years.  N64 crushed the Jag in power, it was quite there with the PS1 too, the two stand out issues it had was the over small texture buffer, and the 64MB cart size that gimped it from far more storage of assets.  Hardware outside of those, it pulled off what the others couldn't in a number of ways.  I was no huge N64 fanboy, quite frankly that generation made two massive changes for me in that on consoles I went multi-platform getting a Turbo Duo, and also being a bit more of a handheld gamer largely ever since as they offered me a lot more.  But when N64 had something every few months I cared about, it knocked it out of the park.  It was a fan trope of the time, but it does manage to work, quality over quantity.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

roots is right @r_chase even if he didn't bring up kaze, if you think the N64 was inferior to the jaguar you've just lost all form of credibility in actual period era games, even period era ones found later that didn't make it ...not some high end genius like kaze who pulled off some insane stuff the last few years.  N64 crushed the Jag in power, it was quite there with the PS1 too, the two stand out issues it had was the over small texture buffer, and the 64MB cart size that gimped it from far more storage of assets.  Hardware outside of those, it pulled off what the others couldn't in a number of ways.  I was no huge N64 fanboy, quite frankly that generation made two massive changes for me in that on consoles I went multi-platform getting a Turbo Duo, and also being a bit more of a handheld gamer largely ever since as they offered me a lot more.  But when N64 had something every few months I cared about, it knocked it out of the park.  It was a fan trope of the time, but it does manage to work, quality over quantity.

ngl, maybe I should've not dissed the N64. I had one in my childhood ffs and it was awesome during that time. I just didn't want to seem like I have rose-tinted nostalgia goggles like what a lot of Nintendo fanboys do seem to have, so pardon me for being a bit too cynical at that point; trust me that I'm usually optimistic when it comes to most thing.

I swear that incident with Yuzu has flipped my world upside-down more than it already was. But that's way too off-topic for this thread; so I'll stop rambling for now.

• Like 1