IGNORED

Custom firmware for Atari Gamestation Pro

41 minutes ago, Boots01 said:

Did anybody get any ColecoVision  games to load/work in the GUI yet ???

Hi, if you go to the CV deployment window, do you have all green checkmarks?  (or at least 2 if you are using 056b runme)

Does the CV DB Record status report like this?  

image.thumb.png.04f0d11f4fea2636b04f5fe08a83595e.png

If this entry looks good in the record status as above, then please from the main window, navigate to the most recent games entries... For Mouse Trap, it should look something like this image below.

The most important value will be what is displayed in "full game path" ...

If you go to this screen and click on "trigger" it should open the matching trigger record.  If it doesn't, or if some value looks incorrect (implying a potential typo or something), please send me a screenshot of what values are showing in your GAME record.

image.thumb.png.66e2a743f8a849067de434bdecd2b237.png

Important note on the CORES, you shouldn't attempt to use other cores for these retroarch configuration files I've established (outside of a possible newer build of the same core or general experimentation), but for those CV games using them, they are designed to work with the specific core types,  which are UNIQUE in how they handle the controller input.

[UPDATE] - 

I just performed a test with an non-enhanced games.db file, and added the db enhancements, performed a deployment to add the CV records, and the mousetrap game is launching fine for me from the GUI... I'd have to see what your settings look like.

Edited by big_guitar

33 minutes ago, big_guitar said:

Hi, if you go to the CV deployment window, do you have all green checkmarks?  (or at least 2 if you are using 056b runme)

Does the CV DB Record status report like this?  

image.thumb.png.04f0d11f4fea2636b04f5fe08a83595e.png

If this entry looks good in the record status as above, then please from the main window, navigate to the most recent games entries... For Mouse Trap, it should look something like this image below.

==============================================

This it what I have now. I even added the exec.bin and grom.bin files into directory.

_temp Mousetrap screen.jpg

Hi @Boots01,

I see you modified some directory details, which should be ok typically if everything is aligned. 

Also, when you searched on "Mouse Trap" for game entries, 2 entries resulted?  How is the other one defined that matched on your search?  That's one thing that sticks out to me currently.

Did you try with the default locations first before moving the game rom and trigger file to the same folder?  But mostly curious about the other search match.

If the game is launching fine via folder-nav, makes me think potentially 2 different mouse traps are listed in the GUI, and you're selecting the one that doesn't match, or is in conflict possibly.

For example, if you have a game entry that points to the game folder used by CV Quick Start deployment, it could be looking for the game rom in the folder which you have since moved and/or renamed.

Edited by big_guitar

14 minutes ago, big_guitar said:

Hi @Boots01

Did you try with the default locations first before moving the game rom and trigger file to the same folder?  But mostly curious about the other search match.

If the game is launching fine via folder-nav, makes me think potentially 2 different mouse traps are listed in the GUI, and you're selecting the one that doesn't match, or is in conflict possibly.

============================

The other Mouse Trap game is in Bonus Games / 16-bit / mtrap.zip

I know I didn't mess around with Carnival yet, so don't know what is going on.

Oh well, have to wait for someone else to speak up having the same problem.................................

56 minutes ago, Boots01 said:

The other Mouse Trap game is in Bonus Games / 16-bit / mtrap.zip

So that one's pointed to the arcade rom and has no trigger relationship, ok.

I renamed and moved my mouse trap COL file to match your settings, and then edited my trigger entry to match as well.  It's still working for me, so it's a bit odd... 

This is where I'd try to run it via the GUI, and then after you wait for appropriate time and it doesn't run, turn off GSP, put the SD into the windows system, and look at the LOGS folder.

The runme_log.txt file under the logs folder will reveal what data was used to try to run the last game selected.

the end of that file should report as follows: 

--a trigger match was found in the database

----pre-execution result settings----

--_core_path: /sdcard/cores/bluemsx_libretro.so
--_cfg_path: /sdcard/racfg/xbox_blue_mtrap.cfg
--_rom_path: /sdcard/Games/triggers/COL/mousetrap.col
--_force_save: 1
--_subsystem:
--_ra_type: 1
--_ex_path: /usr/bin/retroarch

jmtrapsettings3.png

Edited by big_guitar

2 hours ago, big_guitar said:

So that one's pointed to the arcade rom and has no trigger relationship, ok.

I renamed and moved my mouse trap COL file to match your settings, and then edited my trigger entry to match as well.  It's still working for me, so it's a bit odd... 

This is where I'd try to run it via the GUI, and then after you wait for appropriate time and it doesn't run, turn off GSP, put the SD into the windows system, and look at the LOGS folder..

===========================================

I copied a backup of my SD card (pre- gspgames-056) modified, and started from scratch.

I did the QUICK method with Coleco first, no new games worked in GUI.

Next did the QUICK INTV, game, works (had to fiddle with trigger not found this time around)

- games played in order Warlords \ Rocky \ Carnival \ Stonix \ Mouse Trap

--- E:\Games\triggers\COL

"E:\Games\triggers\COL\carnival.jpg"
"E:\Games\triggers\COL\carnival.md"
"E:\Games\triggers\COL\carnival.png"
"E:\Games\triggers\COL\carnival_menu.png"
"E:\Games\triggers\COL\carnival_title.png"
"E:\Games\triggers\COL\mousetrap.jpg"
"E:\Games\triggers\COL\mousetrap.md"
"E:\Games\triggers\COL\mousetrap.png"
"E:\Games\triggers\COL\mousetrap_menu.png"
"E:\Games\triggers\COL\mousetrap_title.png"
"E:\Games\triggers\COL\rocky.jpg"
"E:\Games\triggers\COL\rocky.md"
"E:\Games\triggers\COL\rocky.png"
"E:\Games\triggers\COL\rocky_menu.png"
"E:\Games\triggers\COL\rocky_title.png"

--- E:\troms\COL

"E:\troms\COL\Carnival (NA).col"
"E:\troms\COL\Mouse Trap (NA).col"

log as follows

1970-01-01 00:03:09 initializing runme log...
--initial variable args:
1: 0
2: 2
3: /usr/lib/libretro/retroarch/zip_4_3.cfg
4: /sdcard/games/triggers/stonix.md
L: genesisplusgx_libretro.so
--
query: select exPath,corePath,gameFullPath,cfgPath,subsystem,forceSave,raType from tbl_trig where trigPath = '/sdcard/games/triggers/stonix.md' COLLATE NOCASE;

sql result:
 /usr/bin/retroarch~~/sdcard/cores/freeintv_libretro.so~~/sdcard/Games/INTV/stonix.rom~~/sdcard/racfg/gsp1_free_stonix.cfg~~~~1~~1

--a trigger match was found in the database

----pre-execution result settings----

--_core_path: /sdcard/cores/freeintv_libretro.so
--_cfg_path: /sdcard/racfg/gsp1_free_stonix.cfg
--_rom_path: /sdcard/Games/INTV/stonix.rom
--_force_save: 1
--_subsystem:
--_ra_type: 1
--_ex_path: /usr/bin/retroarch

executing default RA /usr/bin/retroarch without subsystem...
1970-01-01 00:03:29 after retro (1)

Edited by Boots01

2 hours ago, Boots01 said:

I did the QUICK method with Coleco first, no new games worked in GUI.

Thanks for that info.  Are you running the 056 or greater runme?

I would deploy the INTV first, I believe there might be some items established there assumed to exist for CV #2, but I will check later and test with a fresh card. Then again, if it works via folder nav... Did you try CV again after INTV?

Your log file is referencing an INTV stonix launch. The log file should only reference the most recent game launch attempted.  Was that the last game attempted? If so, you should next attempt one of the CV games via gui and stop there and then look at the log.  But if you get stuck on a black screen, it likely tried to run the Genesis core. If that happens, or if you aren't returned to GSP app control, push the home button before turning off the GSP, and then look at the log, and there should be some pertinent info. Actually anytime you want to look at a log, make sure you get back to GSP app control before powering off.

If a CV game was the last game attempted, and the log still refers to stonix, and you got back to GSP control prior to power off, then an error occurred at some point early in the launch attempt in a way that prevented the log file from being properly established. Otherwise, you should see at least the first part of the log referencing something other than stonix. You could sometimes see only half the log established due to error, but normally if you got back to GSP control prior to power off, the log will have helpful info.

Edited by big_guitar

[SOLUTION]

I found a bug I was unable to duplicate, because I had a setting in my start_local_sd.sh file that no one else is likely to have.

Two methods to resolve for now (choose one, or even both):

• Search and find any game entries set to game type "18" (there will be 3 from CV quick start)
    and change them to anything acceptable such as "2" and the 3 CV games will then work fine from the GUI.
    or
  • Replace the \data\start_local_sd.sh file with the attached file

The start_local_sd.sh will normally just reject any game type that is not getting trapped, and as a result, the start script exits without executing the runme script.  The attached file will trap type "18".

The options above provide a quick resolution for now, but I will change the Quick Start deployment for CV games to use a game type that is trapped by default.

start_local_sd.sh

Edited by big_guitar

4 hours ago, big_guitar said:

[SOLUTION]

I found a bug I was unable to duplicate, because I had a setting in my start_local_sd.sh file that no one else is likely to have.

Great! ColecoVision works..................... now we just need an easy way to find a CV game when it's time to play. Maybe a ColecoVision tab?

The impressive use of space for the game title with aftermarket controller help from  big_guitar  is sure to expand possible enhancements by somebody.........

mousetrap_title.png

2 hours ago, Boots01 said:

Maybe a ColecoVision tab?

Would be nice. I could be wrong, but would most likely have to replace the start app altogether. Someone implementing a replacement gui may want to utilize the space and graphics regions in an altogether different manner, especially for those that already have experience and existing code to work with. 

One way to present a separate game system menu without replacing the existing GSP app, could write a secondary app you would launch like a game in the GSP menu that would have it's own separate menu system for other platforms (for someone like myself without the know-how to replace the GSP app or modify the firmware). Not something I would have the means or experience to attempt though currently.  If I did have the proper linux dev experience, I could attempt to contribute more there. 

Edited by big_guitar

3 hours ago, big_guitar said:

RE: Coleco game menu

I was trying to edit the firmware 1.30c using a disk sector editor (HEX editor?) searching for 'Paddle Games' to see if I could change the text to 'ColecoVision' or 'Coleco/Paddle' or 'Coleco/INTV' or 'CV/INT/Pad'  - since I don't play paddle games, Coleco games would interest me more.
Anyway, didn't find anything, maybe the firmware has to be unzipped or something???

I did find a 5200 menu (proto) ROM, but would need a game programmer know-how, it also does lock up at times.

3 hours ago, Boots01 said:

I was trying to edit the firmware 1.30c using a disk sector editor (HEX editor?) searching for 'Paddle Games' to see if I could change the text to 'ColecoVision' or 'Coleco/Paddle' or 'Coleco/INTV' or 'CV/INT/Pad'  - since I don't play paddle games, Coleco games would interest me more.
Anyway, didn't find anything, maybe the firmware has to be unzipped or something???

I did find a 5200 menu (proto) ROM, but would need a game programmer know-how, it also does lock up at times.

Well there are related image files used stored under 3-rootfs\usr\local\share\minigui\res\images, but changing anything significant beyond images would be more involved.  I'm not sure if that paddle games section allows for the title png or how many images it permits. Ideally we'd want to draw out the entire minigui folder data (& perhaps other folders) to sdcard to allow for manipulation, if still using the main GSP app interface.

For example, the file fg_paddlegames.png is used (when selected), might be able to replace that png file and keep the name the same, but how the section displays the game information on that page is a separate matter.  

image.png.2a251f630571fad292b1eaeecc282478.png

There's a larger background image file for the full screen with the all section labels grayed.  Separate background images are used for game displays depending on selection type, ideal ones include title, box art, screenshot, about, control instructions.

The music and selection/navigation tones are kept under 3-rootfs\usr\local\share\minigui\res\music, would be nice to change some of the default tunes (Track1.mp3 through Track4.mp3)

There are many funky things happening when you turn on the system, temp files and I believe one or more mounts are established at run time.

Based on some translated Chinese, the "hard" variable is supposed to represent "The joystick icon is displayed on the FEATURED GAMES details page." although I'm not sure that's happening with custom games added, with values ranging from 0 to 5 at least.  Would have to experiment, but not important at this point I suppose.

Edited by big_guitar

A patch application such as what @fluxit used when he first created the runme patch I believe could potentially be used to replace one or more image files to establish an additional firmware mod on top of 1.30c, but at least for myself, I'd have to invest a lot more time becoming familiar with those types of processes & related tools to be comfortable with it and understand potential issues, size requirements, limitations, etc. 

Of course there are games built-in that already target those sections for those existing categories, and some people would certainly want to keep everything still that comes with the system, so even if we did establish some kind of change just for display purposes, I'm not sure how many people would want to use that.  Ideally, there would be a way to keep existing games and still be able to modify things to allow for additional categories by some means.

Edited by big_guitar

4 hours ago, big_guitar said:

limitations, etc. .

Maybe a basic way of sorting games like we started with, use a prefix (when alphabet sorted) to group them together,

1intellivision name.rom (1stonix.rom)

2colecovision name 1.col (2mousetrap.col)

2colecovision name 2.col (2carnival.col)

Edited by Boots01

[Windows App Update]  v 0.5.7

• Corrected an Intellivision Quick Start Deployment bug introduced under v056. [different folders preferred under newer versions]
  • All the latest updates included, latest runme, and other fixes up to date.

If you previously performed the Quick Start actions for Colecovision under 056, you can use the 057 'create db records' action to correct the issue related to unrecognized game types. 

Documentation updated as well.   Let me know if you encounter any issues.

gspgames-057.zip

14 hours ago, big_guitar said:

[Yet another runme script update]

If you have any single quotes in your trigger file path, you'll want to use this runme update 057b.  If not, no issues.

Be sure to move this over after the deployments built into 057.

AND to the above, to be on the safe side, avoid special characters in the filename (for COL and INTV), I renamed these and they work now;

Roc-n Rope  \\  RockN Bolt  \\  Locknchase

I have 11 Coleco games working now. Most work OK with the GSP joystick - Press C button to begin playing (for 1 player).

Edited by Boots01

[patch file for windows app 0.5.7 b]

Unzip these 4 files directly on top of the extracted gspgames windows app version 0.5.7 (required). Select to replace those files if prompted.

This includes a minor editing fix and the proper validation check for the 057b version of the runme (the 057b runme file is also included here).

You should see "ver 0.5.7 b" in the upper-right corner of the windows app after replacing the files. 

Recommended to use the latest updates if you're using the app.

image.png.d42a6eaf1a9df1611cbe5c50cd39dfa9.png

gspgames-057b-patch.zip

Edited by big_guitar

[Windows App] - Supplemental Documentation for Intellivision Games

Covers how to configure and play *Advanced Intellivision games for XBOX controllers with the GSP.

Use the included CFG file along with the PDF documentation to configure Intellivision games that have more complex controller needs.

Details with example Trigger records for Tron Deadly Discs and Night Stalker  are defined in the documentation.

*[Advanced] - requiring additional keypad actions for active game play

intv-advanced-config.zip

Edited by big_guitar

Idea: I noticed on AGSP Menu it uses screenshot for Arcade games, why not use the cabinet picture instead, most people know what the cabinet looks like, I do, would look alot better then just a screenshot, you can get some picture of cabinets from 3D Arcade, you might even find some models I made on there... :) https://www.mameworld.info/3darcade/models/models.htm
Just click on a name of the cabinet(or computer) you want to look at:
and yes they are all models made in 3DS Max.
bzone.jpgberzerk.jpgcentiped.jpg

33 minutes ago, Spanner said:

why not use the cabinet picture instead

Well, with the firmware patches established (per this original thread posting), you can change all the images to your liking... Perhaps you already know this and are just promoting alternative images to choose from, in which case, sorry if I'm misunderstanding.

Depending on what "class_type" the game is entered under, such as I believe with the BONUS games, I think it uses the JPG file by default for the menu. 

Other sections will use the [game file prefix]_menu.png file to display under the "menu" listing for the related section(s).

So for the game entry that points to 'Super Breakout' (class_type is 6 in this case),  /data/Games/Atari_Games/Atari Arcade/sbrkout.zip, you'd have these filenames to work with.

image.png.7b23e61104a62607580805c1912c5b4c.png

Edited by big_guitar

1 hour ago, Spanner said:

Does AGSP have a games manager at all...?

Not so elaborate of course (I've seen your app before when messing with TheC64), however, I did develop a windows app to manipulate the GSP database directly, where I added extra tables to so we could customize retroarch configurations outside of the box and also run other core libraries not built into the GSP, although the main GSP app is still initiating the events.  For the most part, the GSP is all about RETROARCH (which can get complex with configurations) except for the stand-alone stella app.  In one of my bigger zip files I posted (probably one on the last page if not this one), there is a flowchart for how it works.  In the end, a script is used to determine how the games get executed.

Edited by big_guitar