IGNORED

Custom firmware for Atari Gamestation Pro

So...slowly I'm building my catalog by cobbling together artwork as I'm sure many of you are. As I get farther in, I haven't yet been able to implement everything I would like.

Had anyone gotten the bezel artwork to work around their arcade game screens? For me, they work on my PC-based MAME, but when I copy the artwork folder identically, my GSP won't display any of the bezels.

To be sure, matching zip filenames are in the following two folders:

data\Games\Atari_Games\Atari Arcade

data\Games\Atari_Games\Atari Arcade\artwork

Has anyone gotten Arcade paddle games such as Tempest and Tron to work with the paddle?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Airwolfman said:

So...slowly I'm building my catalog by cobbling together artwork as I'm sure many of you are. As I get farther in, I haven't yet been able to implement everything I would like.

Had anyone gotten the bezel artwork to work around their arcade game screens? For me, they work on my PC-based MAME, but when I copy the artwork folder identically, my GSP won't display any of the bezels.

To be sure, matching zip filenames are in the following two folders:

data\Games\Atari_Games\Atari Arcade

data\Games\Atari_Games\Atari Arcade\artwork

Has anyone gotten Arcade paddle games such as Tempest and Tron to work with the paddle?

You have to use the old format artwork files from Mr Do's page.  https://mrdo.mameworld.info/old_artwork.php

2 hours ago, Atari8264 said:

You have to use the old format artwork files from Mr Do's page.  https://mrdo.mameworld.info/old_artwork.php

Thanks! For anyone else adding in the artwork, I noticed you have to set vertical back to vertical=0 for vertical games to display at the proper aspect ratio.

Some of the bezels are obviously quite pixelated from the extremely low resolution. Do you think I could replace the images in the ZIPs with a bit higher-res png's, or is that the whole reason the more recent ones won't work.

BTW - has anyone found a version of Discs of Tron that runs on GSP? I've tried several and none seem to work.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marc Fiorillo said:

Has anyone found roms for Berzerk and Frenzy arcade that have sound on the GSP?  Every copy I find is silent.

THe older versions may have used separate sound samples until Mame emulated the speech chip.

5 hours ago, Marc Fiorillo said:

Has anyone found roms for Berzerk and Frenzy arcade that have sound on the GSP?  Every copy I find is silent.

For Gamestation Pro arcade games, only use the MAME 2003 reference set which also has the samples audio files.   

https://archive.org/details/MAME2003_Reference_Set_MAME0.78_ROMs_CHDs_Samples

Those are the rom sets to use for the version of MAME in the Gamestation Pro.

16 hours ago, dec0y13 said:

Hey, I'd love to have YOOMP on my GSP but it's downloadable as either an .atr file or .xex It does not seem that the CSP recognizes those file types. Is there a work around for that? (Atari 800/400 formats?)

I haven't tried the Atari 800 core just yet, but it should be doable.

• Like 1

Hello all,

Brad, thank you for the customized firmware.

I have a question. I'm customizing my "about" box and have found that it will only allow 417 characters in the text field. Is that correct? I have started and ended my text with "". 

The Controls box will let you have a dropdown arrow to add more text, but not the About Box, OR am I doing something wrong?

Thank you...

32 minutes ago, Marc Fiorillo said:

Same.

You mean no voice in Berzerk?  Are you using the custom v1.30c GSP software?   I have 1.30 with the following directory structure on the SD card:

/Games/Arcade B/berzerk.zip

/Games/Arcade B/samples/berzerk.zip

I have speech in the game.  

18 hours ago, fishmichaela said:

Hello all,

Brad, thank you for the customized firmware.

I have a question. I'm customizing my "about" box and have found that it will only allow 417 characters in the text field. Is that correct? I have started and ended my text with "". 

The Controls box will let you have a dropdown arrow to add more text, but not the About Box, OR am I doing something wrong?

Thank you...

The database field schema is defined for 1024, but I think the real issue is not being able to scroll for the 'About' section, and/or otherwise not being able to modify the font being used at this time.

Edited by big_guitar

On 3/17/2024 at 1:34 AM, Airwolfman said:

Do you think I could replace the images in the ZIPs with a bit higher-res png's, or is that the whole reason the more recent ones won't work.

I haven't confirmed this, but you might be able to use the newer artwork format by invoking the Jungle2014 or Jungle2016 version of mame (a bit slower to load than 2003), and/or the Mame2003+ libretro core.  

Of course this requires a bit of scripting know-how, but I'm thinking of adding to my windows tool to help with implementing custom configurations especially for using other libretro cores in addition to those built into the device. 

Edited by big_guitar

Many thanks to @Brad_from_the_80s for the custom firmware and @jonreddick for making me aware of the AGSP and this firmware in the first place.

I'm slowly working through adding my favorite games (ones I'll actually play) to the AGSP, and figured I'd share the images and INI entries here as I complete each "batch", starting with the initial 20 games I did for the 2600 (I have more to do).

This first set includes:

Battlezone, Berserk, Carnival, Chopper Command, Defender, Demon Attack, Dig Dug, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., E.T., Frogger, Galaxian, H.E.R.O., Ms. Pac-Man, Pac-Man, Pitfall!, Raiders of the Lost Ark, River Raid, Space Invaders and The Activision Decathlon.

Full details in the "spoiler", below.

Hope it is useful!

Spoiler

Each entry includes the box art, screen shot, bezel/header and the necessary section for the .INI file.  ROMs are NOT included.

ALL images are from high-resolution sources, or emulator captures, and are at the proper aspect ratio and resolution, so no scaling is needed.

While the Bezel/Title graphic has a maximum resolution of 960x186 (and that's the size of all the images I'm including), the actual portion used by the included games is generally 120 vertical pixels or less.  I've sized the graphics within that 960x186 accordingly, so they don't dominate the display completely.  Some are larger than others for effect.  Some are the arcade/original game titles/bezels (Space Invaders, Donkey Kong, Pac-Man etc.) some, like the Activision ones, are just the same font/text from the game title on the original box.

The .INI entries use the actual descriptions of the game either from the back of the cartridge box, or the games' manual, with some edited/shortened in order to make them fit the "About" box.  Similarly, the "Controls" section follows the actual manual text as much as possible (some are multiple pages).

Anyway, the .ZIP files contains all the artwork in a single folder, and then the .INI files contains the necessary data to use them.

The .INI file assumes the games and artwork will live in a folder called "Atari 2600_c" (the full path is "/data/Games/Atari_Games/Atari 2600_c)"; you'll need to edit the "timer" field if you keep yours somewhere else.  For each entry in there you want, make sure to copy the associated entry from the "DB Entries.INI" file to your "games.ini" file (if you're using all of them, you can just append it), and set the first line of "games.ini" to "update_db=1".

File names are lower-case (shouldn't matter) and use _ for spaces, so "Space Invaders" is "space_invaders".

AGSP 2600 Set 1.zip

• Like 4

On 3/17/2024 at 2:34 AM, Airwolfman said:

BTW - has anyone found a version of Discs of Tron that runs on GSP? I've tried several and none seem to work.

for the MAME use " dotron " this will work with the GSP BUT the paddle control on this and the Regular Tron Game needs the paddle control and that needs a GSP Joystick config that I wish I knew how to do.

1 hour ago, dec0y13 said:

OH! Homebrew .bin files work!! 

Atari 5200 Homebrew or updated arcade ports don't run well,  the GSP control wont start the game or buttons are off... Would love to play the 5200 that the Atari store has or maybe even a MULE 5200 rom.. I would pay for the ROMs but as I can see its made for the Atari store or private sites for and Carts only sales.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2024 at 10:10 AM, Torq said:

Hope it is useful!

Many thanks @Torq. As I've been concentrating on other consoles I haven't made time for 2600, but these are pretty much the games I would have chosen as well. So, it's great to have them to play and I'm sure others are also enjoying plugging them in to their GSPs. Thank you for sharing this awesome package.

Edited by Airwolfman
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2024 at 10:10 AM, Torq said:

Hope it is useful!

Reveal hidden contents

Each entry includes the box art, screen shot, bezel/header and the necessary section for the .INI file.  ROMs are NOT included.

ALL images are from high-resolution sources, or emulator captures, and are at the proper aspect ratio and resolution, so no scaling is needed.

While the Bezel/Title graphic has a maximum resolution of 960x186 (and that's the size of all the images I'm including), the actual portion used by the included games is generally 120 vertical pixels or less.  I've sized the graphics within that 960x186 accordingly, so they don't dominate the display completely.  Some are larger than others for effect.  Some are the arcade/original game titles/bezels (Space Invaders, Donkey Kong, Pac-Man etc.) some, like the Activision ones, are just the same font/text from the game title on the original box.

The .INI entries use the actual descriptions of the game either from the back of the cartridge box, or the games' manual, with some edited/shortened in order to make them fit the "About" box.  Similarly, the "Controls" section follows the actual manual text as much as possible (some are multiple pages).

Anyway, the .ZIP files contains all the artwork in a single folder, and then the .INI files contains the necessary data to use them.

The .INI file assumes the games and artwork will live in a folder called "Atari 2600_c" (the full path is "/data/Games/Atari_Games/Atari 2600_c)"; you'll need to edit the "timer" field if you keep yours somewhere else.  For each entry in there you want, make sure to copy the associated entry from the "DB Entries.INI" file to your "games.ini" file (if you're using all of them, you can just append it), and set the first line of "games.ini" to "update_db=1".

File names are lower-case (shouldn't matter) and use _ for spaces, so "Space Invaders" is "space_invaders".

AGSP 2600 Set 1.zip 3.63 MB · 17 downloads

Yes very much useful, TY for this as like everyone else building up my GSP...TY all who are posting great help, info and files

• Like 1

Here's my second set of .INI file entries, screenshots, banners/titles and cover art for the 2600 - it's another 20 games, and follows the same deal as described for the first set, here.

Games covered in this set are:

Amidar, Atlantis, Cosmic Ark, Defender II, Enduro, Frogger II: Threeedeep!, Gorf, Gyruss, Joust, Jungle Hunt, Kangaroo, Keystone Kapers, Megamania, Miner 2049er, Moon Patrol, Phoenix, Pole Position, Popeye, Q-Bert and Spider Fighter.

--

Next I plan to do a handful of paddle-based titles, and then tackle the stuff I want on the main menu for the 5200.

AGSP 2600 Set 2.zip

• Like 2

On 3/17/2024 at 10:42 PM, Atari8264 said:

You mean no voice in Berzerk?  Are you using the custom v1.30c GSP software?   I have 1.30 with the following directory structure on the SD card:

/Games/Arcade B/berzerk.zip

/Games/Arcade B/samples/berzerk.zip

I have speech in the game.  

I got Frenzy to work.  But now I have a bigger problem with Berzerk.  It won't load.  When I select the game, it starts to load the rom...I get that video flash (like the self test), and then the screen remains blank and nothing happens.  I've deleted the rom and reloaded it, double and triple checked that in put it in the .ini file properly, and still...nothing.  I did do as described above. 

Interestingly enough, this happens in the customizable firmware set up.  When I put in the text SD card menu, it works fine.

For Frenzy, I just changed the name of the samples zip file to frenzy.zip, and it works fine in the firmware menu.

Weird.

• Thanks 1