IGNORED

Why did you buy the 2600+?

etschuetz

With the 50 Hz output of the experimental firmware, all of my PAL games run wonderfully. The not yet optimal paddle controls and the functionality of Pitfall 2 are still missing for me to be 100% happy. And I agree, it's a good year to be a little old-fashioned

Edited by 2LTIME6100
  • Like 2

I bought it for 2 reasons, First reason.. I have 2600 Cartridges that where sitting in a cupboard for 16 years, I have a 1977 6 switcher VCS, I got it 16 years ago, I got it from my step son so he had it from a kid so got it in the 80s, he's 40 years old now but I never used it, so when I saw this then I got it for the 2600 games, I have 26 VCS/2600 games.

The second reason was to hack it because it uses Buildroot so Linux under its hood, so add PCUAE(Project Carousel USB Anniversary Edition) to it and I have now, you can now use its Modes on the Atari2600 Plus so Amiga Mode(A500,A1200), Atari Mode(8bit, A800 XL and 16 bit, Atari ST), Retroarch Mode, Vice Mode(CBM 8bit Machines, VIC20, C64, C128, C16/Plus4) and Stella Mode.

20231230_212348.jpg

I do have PACMAN and MISS PACMAN but forget to add them in the photo, they were with the Atari2600 Plus at the time.
Any good games in there.. :) ...?

Edited by Spanner
  • Like 4

I bought Atari 2600+ primarily for a family member with learning disabilities. Modern games were too overwhelming, but the Atari 2600 has been perfect. It's gaming in its purest, most accessible form. The immediate gameplay has opened up a world that was inaccessible before. I'm loving the simplicity. In a world of complex games, the Atari's plug-and-play charm feels refreshing. You just insert the cartridge and play - no updates, no subscriptions, no online accounts.

• Like 12

why I didn't buy the 2600+

They didn't make it like a heavy sixer with all the switches where you can control everything easily as well as games that use the switches for various purposes- Give it a do over and tidy some things up, then I'll consider it.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

Had a heavy sixer back in the 80s as a Christmas present with only Asteroids for a couple of weeks, then started swapping cartridges during school breaks and later "discovered" PAL vs. NTSC color differences in titles that friends brought from the US.

Stayed with Atari all the way to Falcon030, the VCS 800 and now... 2600+

("The 400" is too tiny and does not feel right without a membrane keyboard imho, so I'll skip it).

• Like 2

I have multiples of original consoles (6 switch, 4 switch, Junior, and Gemini) and some 130 cartridges. I also still have a CRT TV. 😃

That said, I wanted something newer that could connect to a modern TV.

Sadly, when the 2600+ arrived in December I was extremely ill so I did nothing more than open the box to look at it. Due to work and other commitments, I have not yet played any games with it. 

I bought it to make using a modern TV with the 2600 easy. I also bought it to support what Atari is doing right now. And I bought it in hopes that it will be sturdy and last a long time. I currently own one dying 2600, one perfectly working Video Arcade II, and one working 7800. So it's extra assurance that I'll be able to keep playing 2600/7800 games for a good time to come.

• Like 3

I bought it for all the same reasons as many above and for the most part, I'm glad I got one.  I do find the slight lag is an issue with some games though.  For many, such as shooters, it's not so much of a problem but for some games that require very precise timing, I really notice the slight lag.  And this is with my hdtv in game mode.  Without that, it's even worse.  

Take the homebrew "Spies in the Night" for example.  Some times you are required to stop behind a wall that is exactly the same width as your character.  I had gotten better over time playing the game on an original 2600 connected to a crt tv.  With the instant response of the original hardware, I was able to stop at exactly the right time and be behind the wall to avoid being shot by the sniper.

If I stop at the same time playing the game on the 2600+, my character will end up a millimetre or two beyond the wall and get shot.  I therefore have to completely re-learn my timing and pre-empt when I should stop.  Consequently my performance playing the game is way worse when playing it on the 2600+ and as a result, it makes it a less satisfying experience.

As I stated before, it's not every game. Some are more noticeable than others but the problem is, especially with Atari 2600 era games, precise timing is SO important.  Maybe I'll get used to it but while I play on both original hardware and the 2600+, that's going to take quite some time I think.  Maybe it's an issue that can be fixed with future updates or maybe it's just an unavoidable feature of emulation.

Edited by insertclevernamehere
Typo fixes
  • Like 1

I really enjoyed the Evercade Atari carts and it led to an interest in the system and some of the other games. When they announced the 2600 plus, I knew I had to have it. The Flashback consoles just weren't cutting it for me with their flimsy controllers.

It's been fun to discover games on this system before my time. I definitely  have some favorites now, and play them often.

Edited by vagabondartist
  • Like 4

Going to be 58 in March and I never outgrew my fondness for the 2600.  In the early 90's folks were practically giving them away to us nutjobs that still cared for the 2600 and didn't have any desire to move on to the next platform.  That allowed me to build a pretty good supply of carts (numerous duplicates) and a stock of four working 2600s, three sets of paddles, two driving controllers and two 'Atari Game Center' storage units.  I modified one of the consoles with one of those A/V mod kits and it works well enough.  Saves me the trouble of putting an intermediate VHS machine in the middle.

However...
The HDMI output with the ability to play actual cartridges *and* in a package that is very true to the original pulled me in.  The price point was right and I've been very happy with the purchase.  Just wish driving controllers/Indy500 were fully supported but I understand you can't have everything.  note: If a v2.0 hardware 2600+ shows up with driving controller support, I'll buy it!  

• Like 4

well its a bit simple for me, i had an atari flashback as a kid and local game stores always have 2600 carts, so to me i see the value in being able to play these games without having to go to my grandfathers house to play on his old 6 switch, woodgrain model.

• Like 1

No loading times
No menues
No installation
No downloads
No patches
No DLC
No micro transactions
No loot boxes 
No customization
No skins
No emotes 
No subscriptions 
No accounts
No online queues 
No servers
No achievements
No bullshit 

👴🏻

I‘m 49, played a ton on a light sixer at a friend’s house back in the days, got a 2600 Jr. way later and then owned a 130 XE as a teenager. 

I had no cartridges from back then, so this is my starter kit:

IMG_2674.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, the_rogue_1 said:

No loading times
No menues
No installation
No downloads
No patches
No DLC
No micro transactions
No loot boxes 
No customization
No skins
No emotes 
No subscriptions 
No accounts
No online queues 
No servers
No achievements
No bullshit 

👴🏻

I‘m 49, played a ton on a light sixer at a friend’s house back in the days, got a 2600 Jr. way later and then owned a 130 XE as a teenager. 

IMG_2674.jpeg

I agree with all of your reasons.

How are you liking Mr. Run and Jump?  That is one of my favorite games.  Can you imagine if it had been released back in 1977!?  Or even Berserk Enhanced. It would have been so so cool to have a talking voice on the 2600 back in the day. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Plumbob said:

How are you liking Mr. Run and Jump?  That is one of my favorite games.  Can you imagine if it had been released back in 1977!?  Or even Berserk Enhanced. It would have been so so cool to have a talking voice on the 2600 back in the day. 

I have not played it yet. Everything is still boxed, but I will try everything out tonight and give you my first thoughts. Right now I am on the hunt on Ebay for classics, like Joust, Defender II, Space Invaders, Asteroids, Centipede etc. I really hope there will be more new and re-releases like Berzerk and Mr. R&J.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, the_rogue_1 said:

No loading times
No menues
No installation
No downloads
No patches
No DLC
No micro transactions
No loot boxes 
No customization
No skins
No emotes 
No subscriptions 
No accounts
No online queues 
No servers
No achievements
No bullshit 

👴🏻

IMG_2674.jpeg

Well… there are loading times compared with an OG 2600. But they are reasonable. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Well… there are loading times compared with an OG 2600. But they are reasonable. 

Yeah, I wanted to add a „kinda“ but couldn’t edit anymore.

Oh and one more reason:

1 button 🕹️

😅

Edited by the_rogue_1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, the_rogue_1 said:

I have not played it yet. Everything is still boxed, but I will try everything out tonight and give you my first thoughts. Right now I am on the hunt on Ebay for classics, like Joust, Defender II, Space Invaders, Asteroids, Centipede etc. I really hope there will be more new and re-releases like Berzerk and Mr. R&J.

Don’t forget about the 7800 compatibility! A bunch of really great titles and ports for that as well. 

There are also the three 7800 re-releases that are in pre-order right now. 

Nothing smells better than opening up brand new Atari. 👍🏼 

Edited by MikeM_
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Plumbob said:

Okay, I have played Mr. RJ up to the 4th level now… OMG is it hard!!! I was watching several YT videos about it and through to myself, this is gonna be easy and probably pretty boring. Boy, how wrong I was. The controls are really tight and responsive, very well done. I’ll probably never finish it due to its difficulty. 😅

The one game of those I tried out that got me hooked even more was Dodge‘em. Such a simple concept, yet so hard and so addictive. I remember I played the arcade version (it could have been Sega‘s Head On instead) as s little boy, I had to stand on an empty beer crate to reach the controls and see the screen.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MikeM_ said:

Don’t forget about the 7800 compatibility! A bunch of really great titles and ports for that as well. 

There are also the three 7800 re-releases that are in pre-order right now. 

Nothing smells better than opening up brand new Atari. 👍🏼 

7800 titles are rare and pretty expensive here in Europe. But I am on the lookout for Donkey Kong, Asteroids and Joust 

Food Fight is interesting, Ninja Golf and Fatal Run might not be for me I guess. 

• Like 1

I bought mine with hopes of running my games in HDMI format. My large 2600/7800 collection is like 90% boxed (many titles stilled shrink-wrapped) and it is somewhat overwhelming to be honest. So I am hoping that someday I can play using something like my Cuttle Cart/Harmony cart off a menu like I do now. I'm an exception, I'm sure, as my boxed collection of carts will stay boxed. The only exception is many of the newer home-brews stay next to my system.. but that's getting to be annoying as well. However, most of those won't run on the emulated 2600+ software/hardware. For now my 2600+ stays boxed next to my other units with high hopes. I'll continue to use my A/V modded 7800 for all things from that era. I do want the system not to have any paddle lag. I am a big fan of the paddle games on the 2600 (Still play Kaboom and Super Breakout on a regular basis). Being 60 years of age, I just can't train my brain-to-hand reflexes to match the lag I experience.   

Personally, what I'd really like to see... an FPGA based Atari 2600/5200/7800 unit along the lines of what Analogue does. A unit that plays original carts and is 100% compatible with all games, including ones not made or supported by Atari (3rd Party, home-brews, and SD carts). C'mon Atari... you can do this!! 🙂

Fingers crossed for the Atari 400 mini. 🙂

• Like 2