IGNORED

Why did you buy the 2600+?

etschuetz

I bought the 2600+ for a couple of reasons.... my original 2600 looks really bad on a modern 4K LCD TV and I figured I'd just get one in case they are not available in a few years and prices go through the roof like a lot of retro stuff has done hehe!

• Like 3

On 2/14/2024 at 8:30 AM, bigfriendly said:

I haven't bought this system yet but I'm considering it. I just wish that the Harmony Cart could be fully functional so you could play some of the newer stuff that is harder to get physical copies of. If that could happen I would definetly be on board with the 2600+. My folks got my older brother and I a 2600 for Christmas back in 1981 along with Asteroids, Space Invaders and it came with Combat. Atari definetly holds a special place in my heart:)

JUST DO IT! DO IT! You won’t regret it! Or did you get it this is an old post!

I’ve always had an Atari 2600 or 7800 hooked up in my house but now having the Atari 2600+ is amazing!

I am having a blast with the Atari 2600+. I’m revisiting games I haven’t played in years and finding ones I never had and experiencing them for the first time! All in crisp HDMI! Plus it plays 7800 games! How sweet is that!

By the way I only purchased the Atari 2600+ to play FREEWAY! 😁😂🤣

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Because... It was Beautiful! 🛸 .  •.  🌎 ° .• 🌓 •  .°•  • 🚀 ✯. •. . •.
 . • ★ *     °  .  🛰  °·  •. ๏ .• 🪐
. • • ° ★ • ☄. ๏ •. . •. . •. . •. •
▁▂▃▄▅▆▇▇▆▅▄▃▂▃▄▆▇▇▆▅▄▇▆▅▄▃▁▂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was never an Atari kid - I had the Fountain Force 2, which is far inferior but I loved it (and I have the full collection of games today). I bought the 2600+ because I wanted to collect again and retro games for my fave old systems are prohibitively expensive. So I'm just collecting the official releases for the 2600+ - easy to keep up with and so far they've been great games. Mr Run and Jump is soooo bloody addictive. I just love plugging carts in and playing :D

Oddly enough, I have grown to appreciate the 2600 games in later life. As a game developer, it amazes me what people can do with this system and those constraints often have led to some incredibly fun games. I'm holding out hope we get some new Activision releases as I'd LOVE a new copy of HERO.

Also, both console and accessories are very well made! 

Edited by MantaNZ
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, MantaNZ said:

I was never an Atari kid - I had the Fountain Force 2, which is far inferior but I loved it (and I have the full collection of games today). I bought the 2600+ because I wanted to collect again and retro games for my fave old systems are prohibitively expensive. So I'm just collecting the official releases for the 2600+ - easy to keep up with and so far they've been great games. Mr Run and Jump is soooo bloody addictive. I just love plugging carts in and playing :D

Oddly enough, I have grown to appreciate the 2600 games in later life. As a game developer, it amazes me what people can do with this system and those constraints often have led to some incredibly fun games. I'm holding out hope we get some new Activision releases as I'd LOVE a new copy of HERO.

Also, both console and accessories are very well made! 

You can preorder A R.T.I. 7800 on AA store, it is a new H.E.R.O. 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A couple of nice things with the 2600+

- Nostalgia factor
- Plays 7800 game carts

- Plays 2600 game carts

- Works on my TV with clean graphics

- Power supply that won't fail so long as I have a USB port somewhere

Bonuses since new firmware:

- DPC+ now working (now if we can get Melody, this console would be the holy grail)

What I REALLY wish they would fix:

- Lack of touchpad/keyboard support

- Lack of driving controller support

What would be a MAJOR BONUS if they could fix:

- Melody support

- Save key support

Btw... as a side note....  I find it oddly perverse that I power my 2600+ on the Nintendo Switch's USB port

• Like 2

Had a 2600 Jr console as a kid, one Xmas. We did not buy many games and ended up borrowing many from friends. Remember Snoopy, MASH and Sky Skipper, along with the handful of games I did own, Centipede, Pole Position and the like. Have kept all my original games, with boxes, but had no console for 2 near 3 decades!

Now fly through to 2024 and the system is full circle, a dinky copy of the original that plays 7800 to, which is a huge bonus as it is not a system I have even emulated before. 

You can throw all the roms into a PC or Pi, sure, but nothing beats gripping the stick and jamming a cart in for a quick game of whatever.

I only purchased mine yesterday and was a little sad to hear multi game carts do not run so well. I to hope for some menu support in the future and expect die hard communities like this will figure out a way eventually. 

Edited by acidbottle
  • Like 1

Bought it because:

a) Don't want to have to create a mod for my existing units to get them working well with modern TVs.

b) Decent retro upscalers are stupidly priced.

c) They'd knocked £35 off at Amazon.

Also have young grandkids that tend to play simpler games on their tablets, who might like some of the stuff on the 2600.

• Like 1

My newer TV doesn't support, even through a bespoke plug connector, composite input. So I couldn't use my composite moded twenty six hundred light sixer. That machine also has s video, and that is also a completely legacy connector at this point for modern TV's.

At one point I had a retro CRT, but it's so heavy and it took up so much space that when I moved, I got rid of it.

Surprisingly, 2600 games, unlike any NES games and maybe even 7800 games look pretty incredible on an OLED. Plus it was just nostalgia, opening up a brand new twenty six hundred. I couldn't resist.

I also spent an absurd amount of money on getting some rare games which I don't regret at all, lol, because they're fucking cool. 😎

Even though I had rom's, I only used those to determine which games would be worth buying on cart. It's all about the gameplay with games.

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 1

Well, I knew it would be wrong to steal one, so I had to buy it. 😁

But seriously, I loved the 2600 as a kid. We got one for Christmas in '81 or '82, when I was nine or ten. My brother, who is four years older than me, liked it too, but didn't stick with it for as long as I did. Once he wasn't really playing it anymore I took it to my room and played it using my small, portable TV/radio. I'd spend hours playing games, mostly Chopper Command, Battlezone and Atlantis. 

When I heard that Atari was going to be releasing the 2600+ I knew I had to get it, even though I had no carts at the time. I knew it came with the 10-in-1 cart and that the paddle pack I ordered with it came with a 4-in-1 cart, and that was enough to get me started. I've purchased a few carts from eBay since then (Kaboom!, Pitfall and Super Breakout), along with new labels, and I currently have Chopper Command and Battlezone on the way. I've got those five games on both my Flashback 12 and Gamestation Pro, but the nostalgia that the 2600+ elicits makes playing them on that system more enjoyable. Sure, having 26 gazillion games on a card the size of my thumbnail is nice, but there's just something about having that physical cartridge, shoving it into that slot and flipping the switch that makes it so much better. Kids today will never know what it's like to have a box full of game cartridges... or really, a box full of fun. 

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

I wanted to see how much better the games appeared in HDMI vs my s-video modded 7800.  So even though using my retrotink 2xpro makes the 7800 look good I must admit that the 2600+ simply looks better.  After I updated the 2600+ I think it now can play at least 98% of the games out there between 2600 and 7800 games.  I love both my systems.