IGNORED

Interesting Video Game Magazines from days gone by

I was thinking about and looking through some of my older video game magazines and I thought it would be an interesting topic of discussion. I attached some pictures of some in my collection. I do miss the days of physical printed magazines covering Atari, Sega and others…  I am probably missing some good ones , which did you collect? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

I had a pretty sizable collection but I pared that way down.  I now have pretty much most of the first year or so of Electronic Gaming Monthly, first year of Nintendo power, all the Joystik magazines, some Classic Gamer Magazine, a handful of Video Game Trader magazines (the ones I had articles in), most of Blip! and a smattering of other mags (Retro Gamer, some other indie mags, Electronic Games, etc.).

8 hours ago, Gamemoose said:

I had a pretty sizable collection but I pared that way down.  I now have pretty much most of the first year or so of Electronic Gaming Monthly, first year of Nintendo power, all the Joystik magazines, some Classic Gamer Magazine, a handful of Video Game Trader magazines (the ones I had articles in), most of Blip! and a smattering of other mags (Retro Gamer, some other indie mags, Electronic Games, etc.).

I find it fun to go back and read some of the articles , it was a much different time back then for collecting . 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Magazines were the only way I learned about the scene in the 80s and beyond. I collected Gamepro for the first five or so years, even though it wasn't much of a "review" mag. Nintendo Power was fantastic, and I still have some of the Nintendo flyers they'd mail out before the magazine launched....those things are pure nostalgia.

EGM was really good for a while too, until I stopped somewhere around 93-ish. There was an unoffical Playstation magazine that I collected around 98 or so, but in a decades ahead of Marie Kondo, I disposed of them...dumb, lol. But magazines are tough to keep in the long term, as they just take up so much space.  

I sti have a copy of Computer Gaming Monthly from the late 90s, and it's fun to flip through. But none of my old EGMs made it, nor Gamepro. I really like the modern Retro magazine, but it's very expensive and hard to find these days...if it's even still around. Although it's based in the UK and has a lot of reverence for systems like the Sinclair, etc, it's just a top notch mag that really hits those 80s and 90s feels.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...