IGNORED

Experimental 2600+ Firmware and Dumper

raz0red

36 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

Is your Circus Convoy

Medieval Mayhem

Juno First.    
    NTSC or PAL?

dumper 1.1.0.4 is no longer available to download. I never downloaded that one.

I have no Circus Convoy

Medieval is NTSC

Juno First is PAL 60

3 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

My question. Do dumper versions perform differently on different units?

Circus Convoy works with dumper 01.01.00.02 for mine.

@John Stamos Mullet Circus Convoy works with dumper 01.01.00.09.

Mine is NTSC

@John Stamos Mulletis PAL correct?

Is the difference NTSC Vs PAL or is the difference in the machine?

I’m NTSC

• Thanks 1

On 2/26/2024 at 7:39 PM, Spanner said:

Is this the Atari2600 Plus on the PC when you hold down the Reset button and its on Colour, its saying Unknow Device, never saw it before, maybe because I changed Win 11 from 21H2 to 23H2...?

USB\VID_2207&PID_310C\7&DC03DFF&0&5

Yes

On 2/26/2024 at 5:33 PM, jj_0 said:

The A2600+ needs to show up in Windows device manager, if it doesn't do that then no tool will work.

Specifically on  https://github.com/Jerzha/RKDevelopToolGUI, that won't work, the forntend might be in Python but the actual upgrade tool it includes (rkdeveloptool) is compiled for MacOS.
I did compile rkdeveloptool (https://github.com/rockchip-linux/rkdeveloptool) for Windows but it still doesn't work probably because it uses the Zadig/libusb drivers and not the Rockhip ones for Windows.

Update - rkdeveloptool.exe kind of works - I had already changed the driver from the Rockchip one to the Zadig/WinUSB one but didn't restart the device. After restarting thr rkdevloptool.exe works, but not the initial upload of MiniLoaderAll.bin. However if I first upload this via Linux then the other rkdeveloper.exe commands work.

Edited by jj_0

On 2/27/2024 at 2:34 PM, John Stamos Mullet said:

Circus Convoy is working here on the r2 experimental firmware.

So Circus Convoy NTSC works for you with dumper 1.1.0.9 and mine does not.

Mine works with dumper 1.1.0.2 but I lose Time Pilot and Robot Tank.

But I also get Juno First and Medieval Mayhem back.

On 2/18/2024 at 4:56 AM, raz0red said:

The purpose of this thread is to track the progress of an experimental 2600+ firmware.

Instead of making this firmware the next beta release, it seemed to make more sense to create a new thread due to how significant the changes are in this version. For example, the video output portion has been rewritten to optimize its performance. Thus, it is very possible that there may be regressions. But, the hope is that this experimental firmware will evolve into an upcoming beta release. 

There are two versions of the firmware available, a standard version, and a debug version. When reporting issues, please capture the information displayed in the debug version (at the top, photo preferred). This provides information such as the cartridge hash, its type, and size. This information makes it relatively easy to determine if the issue is with the dumper or the firmware itself. For example, if a 32k cart is showing as 16k, it would be a dumper-related issue.

image.thumb.png.70fc8a0c5d928142ee8a368cb7dd012c.png

Change history:

1.1x-r2:

• SC-RAM cartridge support (Aardvark, etc.)
    • Click audio fix (Pitfall!, Fishing Derby, etc.)
    • Game-specific fixes:
      • Brik180 (Joystick and Paddle support)
      • Spike's Peak (NTSC)
      • Polaris (PAL) (Uninitialized  BCD mode, @Thomas Jentzsch fix applied)
      • Maze Craze fix (force NTSC)
    • Updated NTSC palette (thanks @Trebor)
    • Game-specific fixes:
      • Support for Diagnostic Cartridge variant

1.1x-r1:

• Optimized video output (should fix missing sprites, etc.)
    • Code optimization (PGO and other modifications)
    • 50hz display (PAL games)
    • SaveKey disabled
    • Game-specific fixes:
      • Pick 'n Pile (PAL)
      • Moonsweeper (PAL)
      • Time Pilot (b1)
      • Tac-Scan
      • Spike's Peak (PAL)
    • Optimized video output
    • 50hz display (PAL games)
    • Updated PAL palette (thanks @Trebor)
    • Pokey buffer size fix

Caveats and Disclaimers:

• This is an experimental build, not an official Atari/Plaion release, so please use at your own risk.
  • This build may contain regressions, or other defects not in the official beta builds. 
  • The updated video driver means that the RetroArch UI is no longer accessible. You can still configure settings via the RA configuration file, but any video-related settings will be ignored.

Downloads:

What Video Driver is this using, it says `video_driver = "null"` in retroarch.cfg...?
Has it got something to do with this... `/sys/class/drm/card0-HDMI-A-1/mode`

10 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

@Ben from Plaion Ataridumper 1.1.0.4 is this the version Robot Tank worked with and if so is it possible for me to try? It’s no longer available for download.

Thanks for your feedback and of course @DEANJIMMY

I have a 1.1.0.10 dumper that should fix your Medieval Mayhem and Juno First issue. Let me have a quick test today and I'll be able to send it you and @DEANJIMMY to see if it resolves your issue. thanks Ben

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I have a 1.1.0.10 dumper that should fix your Medieval Mayhem and Juno First issue. Let me have a quick test today and I'll be able to send it you and @DEANJIMMY to see if it resolves your issue. thanks Ben

Does this dumper also fix Zaxxon?

Zaxxon and Pitfall 2 are the only two games I have that I believe do not work yet and are apparently dumper issues. :)

15 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Does this dumper also fix Zaxxon?

Zaxxon and Pitfall 2 are the only two games I have that I believe do not work yet and are apparently dumper issues. :)

I dont know, all I know is that @raz0red had a theory regarding the sequencing of reading different k sized carts, the dumper developer made the changes and sent me the file this morning, so now we need to test it.

You're getting the information in real time, hot off the press!

Edited by Ben from Plaion
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I dont know, all I know is that @raz0red had a theory regarding the sequencing of reading different k sized carts, the dumper developer made the changes and sent me the file this morning, so now we need to test it.

Gotcha.

Well I am willing to try it out if you would like to send it to me.

14 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

So Circus Convoy NTSC works for you with dumper 1.1.0.9 and mine does not.

Mine works with dumper 1.1.0.2 but I lose Time Pilot and Robot Tank.

But I also get Juno First and Medieval Mayhem back.

I wonder what the issue is with Circus Convoy across different systems with the same dumper and FW? I might try to revert back and see how my copy reacts… 

• Like 1

On 2/27/2024 at 5:02 PM, AtariYMás009 said:

Didn't you notice how the first notes are ommited? The first notes doesen't sound at all, you can see (well, listen) It on your own video.

Mine works correctly but had a similar issue on a different television - and I honestly believe it was an HDMI handshaking issue. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Laladien said:

Mine works correctly but had a similar issue on a different television - and I honestly believe it was an HDMI handshaking issue. 

This is a possibility! I noticed, and this is before I owned Atari 2600+. Some Atariage carts that play ( Have you played Atari today) chime is cut off on some HDMI TVs that I have. But will play fine on others!

I believe it’s how fast the signal is processed through the TV at startup.

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Sounds great @Ben from Plaion and Thanks! I will gladly try it out!

2 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

If you’re looking for others with similar issues, I’d be happy to test the new dumper, as well. 

20 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

This is a possibility! I noticed, and this is before I owned Atari 2600+. Some Atariage carts that play ( Have you played Atari today) chime is cut off on some HDMI TVs that I have. But will play fine on others!

I believe it’s how fast the signal is processed through the TV at startup.

Exactly! I’d put money on it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DEANJIMMY said:

I have got retroarch v1.9.4 working from 1.1x-r2 Standard Version so its running but has no screen, because it can not find a driver, is it in retroarch or a program binary that runs in the background(using `ps -Awl` it will show what's running), can not see it in the firmware or anything running in the background, looking above it looks like its part of retroarch, I still do not fully understand this and how it works, I noticed it runs its CPU Setting before the dmenu.bin file now so loads dmenu.bin --> dmenu2.bin

we are no longer using Retroarch for rendering. Its video driver was causing (on average) 25% of the frames to not be rendered, thus we wrote our own to optimize performance due to the constraints of the 2600+ hardware.

If your not using Retroarch for rendering the game screen, what are you using instead, that what I need to know...?

My idea is you can turn on or off EX Mode and that way you can still use Retroarch's menu too so you just switch it using CTRL+E and because both versions of Retroarch uses the same retroarch.cfg
I have got Stella working too so you can load a Cartridge or a ROM file .a2 so can run command line options with it.
if you want to add Stella I can help you add it if you like, PCUAE runs Stella 7.0 pre on the Atari2600 Plus...?
Would anyone like to use Stella to run 2600 Cartridges Games instead of using Retroarch in the Atari2600 Plus ..?

I do think when it has no cartridge in the slot it should say `Please Insert Cartridge`(Atari Age need to add Atari font to the forum.. :) ) instead of Loading Game Error, when there is no error just no cartridge... :) if the dmenu2.bin sees a EE or EA then it should say it because there is no cart in the slot then.

Edited by Spanner
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I’d love to test my Coleco games as well with the new dumper. 

I set mine up so I can see it on my PC, easier to work with and take pictures of it, I use a HDMI Capture Card, been using one from when I got THEC64 Mini in 2018, at first I did use a Easycap that was composite and a HDMI2AV mini box so its was like how they looked on a CRT monitor, then I upgraded to a HDMI Capture Card with Loop(it was only £16 from eBay)and it way better... :) 
I thought a screenshot might help... :)
What does the dmenu.bin script do, the lines are from the `CPU_setting.sh` file thats in `/oem/vendor/bin` folder, maybe to set the speed of the CPU before running the dmenu2.bin file, maybe it didn't do that before.

This is all I get when I run Retroarch from 1.1x-r2 Standard version, a black screen(screen from the Atari2600 Plus is top right), RA is running, if it was not then it would reboot RA and load RA again over and over.

image.png

Edited by Spanner