IGNORED

Experimental 2600+ Firmware and Dumper

raz0red

20 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I keep receiving updated dumpers and so it's not worth sending out cause it gets confusing if it's updated the next day.

Thanks for the update Ben, I had guessed all was quiet as development was ongoing. Will be worth it when we all receive it I'm sure. 🤟🏻😊

• Like 4

While playing the 1:TEST track in Pole Position II 7800 NTSC, using 1.1.0.9, 1.1x-r2, my 2600+ suddenly locked up displaying this image and continuing to play the engine sound effect. After I took this picture I tried the reset switch, game select switch, color B/W, switch but the 2600+ continued to just display this and repeat the engine sound effect. So I powered off and back on and then it was fine. I’m fairly confident that I didn’t bump the cartridge while playing this.  I’m not too worried. I suspect this is just a one in a million failure mode. But since we are still in this beta test time period, I would like to suggest that everyone reading this give Pole Position II a try tonight just to make sure this isn’t a more common type of a bug.  IMG_9434.thumb.jpeg.b1286127931aa81f46869df441f552f3.jpeg
I’ll keep playing some more tonight and if it ever happens again I’ll report back. 

1 hour ago, Plumbob said:

While playing the 1:TEST track in Pole Position II 7800 NTSC, using 1.1.0.9, 1.1x-r2, my 2600+ suddenly locked up displaying this image and continuing to play the engine sound effect. After I took this picture I tried the reset switch, game select switch, color B/W, switch but the 2600+ continued to just display this and repeat the engine sound effect. So I powered off and back on and then it was fine. I’m fairly confident that I didn’t bump the cartridge while playing this.  I’m not too worried. I suspect this is just a one in a million failure mode. But since we are still in this beta test time period, I would like to suggest that everyone reading this give Pole Position II a try tonight just to make sure this isn’t a more common type of a bug.  IMG_9434.thumb.jpeg.b1286127931aa81f46869df441f552f3.jpeg
I’ll keep playing some more tonight and if it ever happens again I’ll report back. 

Why does it look speckled? Wait a minute are you playing on the ceiling again? You could end up with ceiling burn! 😄

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Plumbob said:

While playing the 1:TEST track in Pole Position II 7800 NTSC, using 1.1.0.9, 1.1x-r2, my 2600+ suddenly locked up displaying this image and continuing to play the engine sound effect. After I took this picture I tried the reset switch, game select switch, color B/W, switch but the 2600+ continued to just display this and repeat the engine sound effect. So I powered off and back on and then it was fine. I’m fairly confident that I didn’t bump the cartridge while playing this.  I’m not too worried. I suspect this is just a one in a million failure mode. But since we are still in this beta test time period, I would like to suggest that everyone reading this give Pole Position II a try tonight just to make sure this isn’t a more common type of a bug.  

I don't think bumping the cartridge would have this effect, because it was already dumped...if you saw it try to dump again and reset, that would be different.  This looks like a legitimate software crash of some sort (or perhaps the dump was bad but only on a byte or two?).

• Like 2

Ok @Plumbob I tried playing Pole Position II for awhile. I am running NTSC 1.1x-r2 experimental with dumper 1.1.0.2.

I didn’t encounter any issues on mine.

I tried on my monitor, I tried on my wall, I tried on a box, I even tried on some socks! But the picture was fuzzy! 😂

65431B93-27C5-4B60-ABC0-6A28E1CAE194.thumb.jpeg.f8d72b7baeaabc881d7d07d4e8b2f557.jpegAA60CD7D-1F4A-4930-8B89-161246C8898C.thumb.jpeg.f7500b8c00f5f3cb6c4e7353310b3e67.jpegB70EDE56-3E36-4240-BE4D-10D7DE92DA3F.thumb.jpeg.f573fe31a7fe18b1b3033dab3b9997a6.jpeg

All kidding aside dumper 1.1.0.2 seems to work great for me except for Robot Tank and Time Pilot. I haven’t noticed any other issues!

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

@Plumbob why does the text look different on your screen compared to my screen?

Is there more than one version?

Do you mean where it says SCORE and SPEED, etc?  Normally the text looks just like as shown on your photos. I think the fact that my 26+ did strange things visually when it crashed is why the text in my photo looks different

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Plumbob said:

Do you mean where it says SCORE and SPEED, etc?  Normally the text looks just like as shown on your photos. I think the fact that my 26+ did strange things visually when it crashed is why the text in my photo looks different

Now you got me hooked on using my projector! Lol!

• Haha 1

It could of crashed because it ran out of ram so it frozen.
Sometimes it can run out of ram, if it reload the dmenu.bin file over and over, if it does, you can clear the ram with this command, I added before the dmenu.bin ran and it does it with Stella too sometimes and this stopped it.

echo " Free up ram space..."
sync; echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
sync; echo 2 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
sync; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
sync

Edited by Spanner

Oh and a idea, you can just update the /oem partition if the rootfs is not changed at all so make the update smaller... :)

All thats used is the /oem partition and /userdata partition that uses the rest of the nand space because it grows in size when it needs it like /tmp.
the rootfs is read only so never gets written on, because your changing the virtual machine not the host machine, the rootfs is the host machine and the dmenu.bin and retroarch are the virtual machine like in VMware Workstation or VirtualBox.

Edited by Spanner

On 3/11/2024 at 1:03 AM, Plumbob said:

If it had a log that was written to a file you could of send it and then could of been debugged(the command line would of said why it crashed) but can't because it has not USB Stick, a shame really, you always should add one, we are not in 1977 anymore, you never know when in the future you will want to use it, having one in the back would be really handy now... :), you could send it to the /userdata partition but then the user can not grab it easily, see what I mean.

Edited by Spanner

6 hours ago, Spanner said:

If it had a log that was written to a file you could of send it and then could of been debugged(the command line would of said why it crashed) but can't because it has not USB Stick, a shame really, you always should add one, we are not in 1977 anymore, you never know when in the future you will want to use it, having one in the back would be really handy now... :), you could send it to the /userdata partition but then the user can not grab it easily, see what I mean.

Sorry friend, my skills are not as advanced with computers as yours are. Hopefully someone else on this forum can comment on what you said. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Spanner said:

Where exactly did they say it crashed? 

On 3/10/2024 at 6:03 PM, Plumbob said:

After I took this picture I tried the reset switch, game select switch, color B/W, switch but the 2600+ continued to just display this and repeat the engine sound effect. 

During testing we have seen several cases like this. Most of the time there was one or more bad bytes in the dump. We are going to add the MD5 hash to the debug info in the next build (similar to what is displayed on the 2600 side of things). That way, if this does occur we can determine whether it was a bad dump, or something else.

Thanks,
Chris.

Edited by raz0red
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, raz0red said:

Where exactly did they say it crashed? 

During testing we have seen several cases like this. Most of the time there was one or more bad bytes in the dump. We are going to add the MD5 hash to the debug info in the next build (similar to what is displayed on the 2600 side of things). That way, if this does occur we can determine whether it was a bad dump, or something else.

Thanks,
Chris.

I didn't, anyway, no worries... :) forget it... :) 

Is thats what the MD5 is for on the screen, its the MD5 of the dump so if it copied the cartridge wrong and is not same as your MD5 dumps you know its dumped is wrong on there console..?
its a bit like if you where copying a CD as a iso really, if the CD is damaged then it would not have the same MD5 because its iso would be slightly different because it damaged so missing data so never copied it properly so not the same as the original(I like the explain things as easy as I can).

Edited by Spanner

I worked out how to load a ROM file in 11x-rx2, its display driver gets activated in the dmenu.bin file so it needs to be running and needs to have a cartridge in the slot so it needs to dump a cartridge and then swap the dump file that in the /tmp folder with a ROM file and get it to load it in Retroarch with the right core(2600/7800) then it loads the game(ROM) on the screen and no black screen.. :).
So your fooling it into thinking its loading the dump from the cartridge when its not, it from the USB Drive instead,  I got it to dump my MS Pacman 2600 cartridge and load a 7800 ROM file Pole Position 2 instead of the dump..:)
I did try faking a Cartridge in the slot first but it just shown a black screen, it needs to dump a cartridge so you see the settings come up from the dmenu.bin file.

----- init_my_system ---ok
Post Color Buffer Success
--read_uart_stream--: cnt > 10
kk(8202) >:
AA 55 26 00 08
8D F9 FF 07 1F 3F 7F 04 10 20 40 20 C8 DB A5
66 8D F8 FF 4C 92 F0 4B 10 40 52 00 F0 EE FF 55 AA
6C 08 F8
+++++ a2600_7800=0,data_size = 8192 +++++
crc8 = 0x6c,crcori = 0x6c
++++ get card data ok++++
---------- find a2600 game ----------
--deint_joystick_key 267
--deint_joystick_key 286
--uninit_my_display 155
--uninit_my_display 163
--uninit_my_display 170
--uninit_my_display 179

The Atari2600 Plus only has SDL2 on it so are you using SDL2 as its Display Driver, but its not a option in RA1.9.6, it does not detect it...? the only other one is GL(Open GLES) thats it was using, I ask because in Retroarch 1.7.0 if you use SDL it has a bug in it that stops the Retroarch GUI from working so if you press F1, it just pauses the game running like on 1.1x-rx2, it does the same thing in PCUAE and if your running RA Mode on THEC64.
Oh and if your using threated video(not sure how you spell it) it can slow the emulation down, it did it on THEC64 where it was shuddering, I disabled it and its now its running at full speed and no shuddering.

Edited by Spanner

2 hours ago, Spanner said:

Idea: Adding a CRT filter so its looks like its on a CRT TV, you could even add the bezel around it so it has a CRT tube shape... :) but would have to be added to the 4:3 display.

That would be cool. They did it with the Atari 50 celebration collection and nailed it. I have no knowledge or understanding of emulation and the programming, thou I assume they used the same or similar build of Stella emulator that is on the 2600+? 🤔

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spanner said:

Idea: Adding a CRT filter so its looks like its on a CRT TV, you could even add the bezel around it so it has a CRT tube shape... :) but would have to be added to the 4:3 display.

Filters are already in Stella. And bezels are coming with 7.0 (and if we should do another release in R77 too).

But without a UI, the users will have no choice. So there can be only one, common setup. And no individual preferences.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1