IGNORED

Experimental 2600+ Firmware and Dumper

raz0red

Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2024 at 12:05 AM, Trebor said:

As of June 3, 2024, attached is all the files and thorough step-by-step instructions on updating the 2600+ console, whether it is the first time the console is being updated, or it has been updated previously.

Complete zip archive: How to Update the 2600+ Console_20240603.zip

Included Word document in the above attached archive provides the following information:

HOW TO UPDATE THE 2600+ CONSOLE

(As of June 3, 2024)

There are two parts to a complete 2600+ console update:

Part I – Dumper --> Reads the cartridge data

Part II – Firmware --> Runs the cartridge data and controls overall functionality of the console

Prerequisites & Setup: A desktop or laptop running Windows is required to successfully update the 2600+ console.  If this is the first time the desktop or laptop running Windows is being utilized for an update, it is very likely, a one-time driver install needs to be performed.

If the machine has been utilized to update the 2600+ console previously, jump to the next section, “Part I – Dumper” below.  Otherwise follow these steps to install the driver:

1.       Ensure POWER lever switch is set to the OFF position on the 2600+ console.

2.       Connect included USB cable to the 2600+ console and the other end to a laptop or desktop running Windows.

3.       On the 2600+ console, set the TV TYPE to COLOR.

4.       While HOLDING DOWN the RESET GAME lever on the console, move the POWER lever to the ON position.

5.       Wait to hear an audio jingle indicating a device connected from the computer running Windows.

6.       Decompress the file: DriverAssitant_v5.12.zip, noting where the folder and files are placed.

7.       Go to ‘Device Manager’ on the machine running Windows and click on the ‘Unknown Device’ listed.

8.       Select ‘Update Driver’ for the ‘Unknown Device’ opting to Browse for Driver.  Navigate to the folder where the DriverAssitant_v5.12.zip file was decompressed and select the OK button.

9.       A confirmation pop-up message should be received indicating a successful driver update.

10.     Proceed with the section “Part I – Dumper

Part I – Dumper

1.       Ensure POWER lever switch is set to the OFF position on the 2600+ console.

2.       Connect included USB cable to the 2600+ console and the other end to a laptop or desktop running Windows.

3.       On the 2600+ console, set the TV TYPE to B+W.

4.       While HOLDING DOWN the SELECT GAME lever on the console, move the POWER lever to the ON position.

5.       Wait to hear an audio jingle indicating a device connected from the computer running Windows.

6.       Double click/Open the file: dumper-052024-x.01.exe

7.       The “Atari 2600+ Dumping Tooling” application Window will appear on screen:

a.       Version: = Version of dumper software that will be installed

b.       Checksum: = Validation data of file running.

c.       Device Version: = Version of dumper software currently installed on the 2600+

d.       Status: = Whether a 2600+ console is detected as connect to the computer.

8.       Ensure “Status: Detected” in green is present.  If “Not Detected” in red is present, go back to Step 1.  If the issue persists, try a different Laptop or Desktop running Windows.

9.       With “Status: Detected” in green shown, click on the “Download” button.  Download will take several seconds.

10.     Status will now show “Not Detected” in red.  This is normal, expected, and indicates a successful update.  To double check, proceed to Step 1 again and note when under step 7, both “Version” and “Device Version” will match, and “Status: Detected”.

Part II – Firmware

3.       On the 2600+ console, set the TV TYPE to COLOR.

4.       While HOLDING DOWN the RESET GAME lever on the console, move the POWER lever to the ON position.

6.       Decompress the file: RKDevTool_Release_v2.74.zip, noting where the folder and files are placed.

7.       Navigate to folder where RKDevTool_Release_v2.74.zip was unzipped, and click/Open the file: RKDevTool

8.       The "RKDevTool v2.74" application window will appear.  A status message at the bottom of the application window should state “Found One MASKROM Device”.  If not, go back to Step 1 and try again.  If the issue persists, ensure the “Prerequisites & Setup section above has been performed.

9.       With a status message of "Found one MASKROM device" shown, click on the tab “Upgrade Firmware”

10.     Under the “Upgrade Firmware” tab, click on the “Firmware” button, locate and Open the file: update-052024-1.1x-r3.img.

11.     The firmware update-052024-1.1x-r3.img should now be listed under “Firmware” information section of the “Upgrade Firmware” tab.

12.     Click on the “Upgrade” button under the “Upgrade Firmware” tab. To the right, lines will be displayed indicating it is processing the update, of which should take about 30 seconds.

13.     Status message of “No Devices Found” will likely appear.  This is normal and expected.

14.     Congratulations!  Having completed Part I – Dumper and Part II – Firmware, your 2600+ console is fully updated!

Notes:

-          It has been discovered that computers which have been utilized to update Evercade devices, install a driver which conflicts with performing the 2600+ update successfully.  It is strongly recommended to either uninstall the driver for that Evercade device, or utilize a different computer.

-          The USB cable that is included with the 2600+ console, provides data transfer support.  Many USB cables on the market are for powering or charging devices only.  If not using the USB cable included with the 2600+ console, it is crucial to ensure the cable being leveraged provides data transfer support.

-          If utilizing a USB 2.0 port with a computer, and the update is not working, try leveraging a USB 3.0 port instead.

-          There is an alternative ‘debug’ version of the firmware.  This is for assisting with testing and informational purposes, which details MD5 checksum and ROM size data.  It is included in the archive in a separate 'Debug' folder, but not required to be installed.

Hope this is found useful and beneficial for any in need of it.

@Ben from Plaion feel free to utilize or/and modify for anything official from Plaion/Atari.

Nothing about that is "simple."

These are the steps that should be needed:

1)Plug the cable in,

2) Set some switches this way.

3) Run this thing you downloaded

Edited by Mr. Christmas
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, MantaNZ said:

Sorry, yeah, I meant Breakout - the one that comes with the 2600+. Two player games don't work for me :(

Ok I was playing from a old cartridge I had, but I will try the multi cartridge that came with my 2600+ bundle and let you know.

I did try it when I first got it but that was before any updates so I will try it again.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MantaNZ said:

Sorry, yeah, I meant Breakout - the one that comes with the 2600+. Two player games don't work for me :(

Ok I just tried Breakout the one that came packaged with the 2600+ paddle set. 2 players works fine!

make sure you press select to show number of players that would be the number to the right of the screen.

If the number is 1 like the picture below that’s 1 player if it says 2 that’s 2 players and so on. Press select until that number says 2 and those are the 2 player games. Hope this helps.

IMG_0692.jpeg

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Feel free to code up your own version of the updater. 

Ironically, with a few modifications, Mr. Christmas provided the CliffsNotes version of what needs to be done:

1)Plug the cable in,

2) Set some switches this way for dumper, that way for firmware.

3) Run the things you downloaded with the respective provided application.

The instructions spell everything out and provide additional troubleshooting and checks, but are not necessary, especially for those comfortable with USB hardware and Windows.  Those needing extra hand holding, detailed laid-out directions are given.

• Like 6

I just updated my 2600+ and now Pitfall II runs. Great!

But I could only get the 2nd one (the actual firmware) to install by using a clean PC.

I used my older PC to update firmware on an Atari Flashback X last year and that probably uses a very similar driver which possibly conflicts with the 2600+ driver. On a clean PC it worked first time. btw updating works using Windows 7 just fine.

• Like 1

I am now offering an atari 2600+ upgrading service for the squeamish. It's 499.99, plus you pay shipping 2 ways. PM me if interested. I am also completely off the hook If I screw it up. But I promise I will send your bricked plus back to you And not use it as a flowerpot.

Edited by tradyblix
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, tradyblix said:

I am now offering an atari 2600+ upgrading service for the squeamish. It's 499.99, plus you pay shipping 2 ways. PM me if interested. I am also completely off the hook If I screw it up. But I promise I will send your bricked plus back to you And not use it as a flowerpot.

🤔😮🤷🏻‍♂️

Futurama Buy GIF

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, tradyblix said:

That's a bargain bro! Mine is in the post...

• Haha 1

Hello,

if I am not wrong the Atari 2600 +

with the new FW can now

play all original games 2600 and 7800

most of the homebrews (what about Lode Runner) ?

most of the Champ homebrew games?

most of the PacmanPlus 7800 homebrew games?

what about Atarivox is it working?

(sorry if I didnt read the 44 pages of this topic :/)

22 hours ago, tradyblix said:

I had a vacation planned at a luxury beachside resort with my girlfriend, but Id much rather sent you the $499 I saved for the vacation, to upgrade the firmware for my 2600+. I just told her that the vacation is officially cancelled.

LOL!!!

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, fordav1 said:

I just updated my 2600+ and now Pitfall II runs. Great!

But I could only get the 2nd one (the actual firmware) to install by using a clean PC.

I used my older PC to update firmware on an Atari Flashback X last year and that probably uses a very similar driver which possibly conflicts with the 2600+ driver. On a clean PC it worked first time. btw updating works using Windows 7 just fine.

I also used an old Windows 7 for updating. In some instances I had to search to find the files but it worked out great. Im the biggest moron when it comes to this stuff and if I can update the 2600+, trust me, anybody can. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flyindrew said:

I had a vacation planned at a luxury beachside resort with my girlfriend, but Id much rather sent you the $499 I saved for the vacation, to upgrade the firmware for my 2600+. I just told her that the vacation is officially cancelled.

LOL!!!

Thanks to everyone that PM'd me and sent me the 499.99. There is currently an 8 week back log, but I encourage you to pre-order today, don't worry, I only gamble on horse races with up to 50 percent of the money while holding it. 

2 hours ago, lucifershalo said:

Hello,

with the new FW can now

No. Sorry if I didn't give you all the details in my reply, I'm also lazy lol :)

Most games work, but not all, Most of the Champ Games ones you'll want to play still don't work, may never work, etc. 

Nobody can really tell you the answers as to when because "It'll be done when it's done" Situation.

You can play Pitfall II tho. :)

You can play Baby Pac Man, Jr Pac Man 7800 and Scramble 7800 and Bonk, Asteroids Deluxe, most of the 7800 homebrews work on this release. Double Dragon 7800 too. 

The 2600 homebrews with ARM chips, exotic bankswitching schemes are currently the worst supported. 

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lucifershalo said:

Hello,

with the new FW can now

Probably need a disclaimer for the original games that used keyboard and driving controllers, since (as I understand it) the games themselves are emulated, but you can't actually play them, since the controller still isn't.

Edited by NicodemusLegend
Oh, yeah, driving controllers, too

51 minutes ago, NicodemusLegend said:

Probably need a disclaimer for the original games that used keyboard and driving controllers, since (as I understand it) the games themselves are emulated, but you can't actually play them, since the controller still isn't.

Probably Trak-Ball too, I can test this later.

On 6/9/2024 at 11:28 AM, MrChickenz said:

Ok I just tried Breakout the one that came packaged with the 2600+ paddle set. 2 players works fine!

make sure you press select to show number of players that would be the number to the right of the screen.

If the number is 1 like the picture below that’s 1 player if it says 2 that’s 2 players and so on. Press select until that number says 2 and those are the 2 player games. Hope this helps.

IMG_0692.jpeg

Yeah, mine is borked. The paddles seem to clash with each other, both controlling one paddle but not properly. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lucifershalo said:

thanks to all for your replies

what about Atarivox? probably doesnt work either ?

Nope. And since it is not even supported in Stella (unlike all other relevant controllers), it won't happen anytime soon.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

1 minute ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Nope. And since it is not even supported in Stella (unlike all other relevant controllers), it won't happen anytime soon.

But Stella supports having a hardware AtariVox attached via an adapter, does it not? It would be good if the 2600+ joystick ports were supported for that purpose.