IGNORED

Experimental 2600+ Firmware and Dumper

raz0red

5 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Is the file named autorom?

Did you change it to a BIN file?

You mean the game rom should be called autorom.bin? Yes it is. I originally downloaded games to the cartridge in developer mode which I assume overwrote the original firmware? Certainly it didn't do anything when I first tried so I downloaded the firmware to the cartridge and the hbios.bin to the SD card. I have tried eeloader 104 all versions and bios 105 and 106 all versions many times.

56 minutes ago, russell_nash said:

You mean the game rom should be called autorom.bin? Yes it is. I originally downloaded games to the cartridge in developer mode which I assume overwrote the original firmware? Certainly it didn't do anything when I first tried so I downloaded the firmware to the cartridge and the hbios.bin to the SD card. I have tried eeloader 104 all versions and bios 105 and 106 all versions many times.

Be careful, I made en error whereby I named a file autorom.bin when it was already a BIN file, so the name was autorom.bin instead of just autorom

You should only see autorom as the file name. 

Perhaps it's that? 

I can't comment on dev mode or firmware for the Harmony as I have never made any changes to it. It's just in its default out for the box state. 

Perhaps you have changed something in the Harmony settings, a Harmony expert would need to answer that. 

Edited by JetmanUK

I tried just autorom and it makes no difference. Thanks for your help, I just happened to see your post so thought I would ask. I have posted on the Harmony forum but nobody answers. I think the problem is that the bios isn't loading properly in the first place and until that is done it cant work. You seem not to have had that problem because you didn't overwrite the original firmware in the first place like I did. Well done. 😁

Edited by russell_nash

4 minutes ago, russell_nash said:

I tried just autorom and it makes no difference. Thanks for your help, I just happened to see your post so thought I would ask. I have posted on the Harmony forum but nobody answers. I think the problem is that the bios isn't loading properly in the first place and until that is done it cant work. You seem not to have had that problem because you didn't overwrote the original firmware in the first place like I did. Well done. 😁

Yeah I'd seen that you could put the Harmony into dev mode to use it on the 2600 Plus, but as I primarily use it with an original console I wasn't going to do that. 

With the new updates allowing it to work with the Plus, just with the limitation of one game per SD card (and not all games being compatible) I have enjoyed using it on both easily. I just card swap!

Hopefully you can get your Harmony back to standard mode and you will be able to enjoy it too. 😊🤟🏻

Hi @raz0red and team, thanks for doing an awesome job on supporting 100% of the classic Atari 2600 games with this experimental build!

For the homebrew games, the succes-rate is also pretty good; I think only the CDFJ games are not supported. Next to the CDFJ games, I wonder if Boulder Dash could be supported; AFAIK that game doesn't use an ARM coprocessor, so dumping should be possible. What are your thoughts on this?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Dionoid said:

Hi @raz0red and team, thanks for doing an awesome job on supporting 100% of the classic Atari 2600 games with this experimental build!

For the homebrew games, the succes-rate is also pretty good; I think only the CDFJ games are not supported. Next to the CDFJ games, I wonder if Boulder Dash could be supported; AFAIK that game doesn't use an ARM coprocessor, so dumping should be possible. What are your thoughts on this?

This is a well timed comment as my Boulderdash cart will be here very soon and I can help with testing. 🤟🏻😁

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

I purchased my Harmony cart recently so I didn't need to do any updates. It's in the standard mode that it came in out of the box.

I take the Micro SD card out that I use with my Light Sixer and leave that aside. It can be put back in for use on the OG without any changes to the Harmony, I switch between consoles.

I'm running the latest experimental firmware and dumper on my 2600 Plus  (see the first post of this topic).

The micro SD card is formatted to FAT32.

Rename your ROM to autorom

Make sure that it is a BIN file, if it's not change it on your computer.

Put the file on the Micro SD card, or SD if you have that version. 

Put the cart in the Plus, don't remove it! Note that there is an odd thing where it reads, fails and then reads again and loads. 

Voila!

Not every game works right now, but I've had a lot of success. 😊

EDIT: I've been using a number of old low capacity Micro SD cards that are pretty useless in general use modern life situations, but are fine for tiny Atari size games. So you can just swap the cards in and out, like slotting a tiny cart in. Quite fun. 😊

I have the older Harmony with the minu usb and the latest patched SB firmware but will be suprised if it works, will let you know later 👍

6 hours ago, DEANJIMMY said:

This only looks a bit odd if you power on with a cartridge inserted. Any other cart I insert by hot swap and then it feels right. The little delay is design intent. I don't care much, it is much better then the previous failed message.

I am only talking about the "No Game Detected" flashing quickly during power on with a cartridge inserted.  This looks ugly and seems like something worth fixing.

I agree that the message is good and proper when hot swapping cartridges.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chad5200 said:

I am only talking about the "No Game Detected" flashing quickly during power on with a cartridge inserted.  This looks ugly and seems like something worth fixing.

I agree that the message is good and proper when hot swapping cartridges.

You know you're nailing it when the issues being asked to fix look like this!(Not a dig at the issue stated at all)

Mostly unrelated,

I miss the cool rainbow start screen for Atari Pro System(7800).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Striker667xbl said:

You know you're nailing it when the issues being asked to fix look like this!(Not a dig at the issue stated at all)

Mostly unrelated,

I miss the cool rainbow start screen for Atari Pro System(7800).

Exactly!

I'll throw a trivial request in for when the remaining important stuff is done, how about an all new animated splash screen on boot instead of the static Atari logo?

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Be careful, I made en error whereby I named a file autorom.bin when it was already a BIN file, so the name was autorom.bin instead of just autorom

You should only see autorom as the file name. 

Perhaps it's that? 

I can't comment on dev mode or firmware for the Harmony as I have never made any changes to it. It's just in its default out for the box state. 

Perhaps you have changed something in the Harmony settings, a Harmony expert would need to answer that. 

Doesn't work for me either but glad its working for you 👍

5 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

As I've asked before - I just want the 7800 games to show the 7800 BIOS splash screen before playing 7800 games for the sake of accuracy and nostalgia, since we know Prosystem has that ability.

Yeah I know, but I can't do it. We have a standard Atari logo on boot. The machine doesn't make a distinction at that point to whether the cart is 2600 or 7800. So then what once a 7800 cart is recognised after  then another splash screen plays. It wouldn't be right.

But I am with you.

Edited by Ben from Plaion
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Yeah I know, but I can't do it. We have a standard Atari logo on boot. The machine doesn't make a distinction at that point to whether the cart is 2600 or 7800. So then what once the cart is recognised a 7800 then another splash screen plays. It wouldn't be right.

But I am with you.

I mean, I'm sure there would be a ton of grousing from the impatient ones in the peanut gallery, but I get it.

1 minute ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Yeah I know, but I can't do it. We have a standard Atari logo on boot. The machine doesn't make a distinction at that point to whether the cart is 2600 or 7800. So then what once the cart is recognised a 7800 then another splash screen plays. It wouldn't be right.

But I am with you.

True. Guess I was thinking of it as someone who hot swaps instead of turning it off and on for each cart heh.