IGNORED

Experimental 2600+ Firmware and Dumper

raz0red

5 minutes ago, Trebor said:

Taking a cue from the above, here is more of how Pitfall "should" look - not near black - but indeed, dark brown tree trunks:

image.thumb.png.aa318b8a00eea16c2ab345b9c62a9345.png

The same palette would also provision color to Keystone Kapers this way:

image.thumb.png.2408a080930b422c76f175835deeab69.png

I see nothing wrong with these colors, both look good! Dark brown tree trunks look fine.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

CRTs were not very good with dark color separation. What you are trying to create here his is a picture which has little to do with how our games looked on original hardware. Same with pixel perfect HMDI images. 

Stella offers various settings to allow the users to chose, whether they prefer a crisp, modern or a more authentic display. Or anything in between. Since the 2600+ does not offer these settings to the user, you will always make one party unhappy. 

The same goes for the colors. CRTs had a wide range of color settings. And the 2600 consoles were not exactly sold calibrated. So colors where different for everyone back then. Again, Stella allows to compensate that, but 2600+ doesn't make this available to the users. So most people will face different colors than they were used too (or remember).

So, no matter how much effort you put into this, someone will always complain. Get used to it.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, MrChickenz said:

Or it could be said a different opinion! But I guess this would be complaining! 😄

Anyway, on x5 the PAL and NTSC palette are fine again.

Complaints were only on x3 and x4 for NTSC and on 1.0 and higher for PAL (2600 + 7800) until it got fixed.

So the current x5 seems to be fine for the majority... and myself😊

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Striker667xbl said:

I agree with Chicken and Mullet on this. x5 looks great.👍 ✌️

IT does look well, if this can be almost closer to the actual atari 2600 then r5 can have this palette for sure unless it can be like the emulator's standard palette a tad bit (depending on computer colors)image.thumb.png.681372728772435fdf626d16da76e770.png

• Like 1

I'm happy with the current NTSC palette.

The PAL palette is fine, but as it's been confirmed that the Stella standard palette is being improved then I think that should be looked at when it's available. 

All great for now though. 🤟🏻😊

• Like 2

I've completed a pass on firmware v1.1x-r5 debug and the x.02 dumper with all of my games and accessories. 

I'm very happy to report that my copy of Zippy the Porcupine (NTSC) now works! :D

Aside from that, there are the usual input issues.  I now have a Quadtari so I've added that to the list.  It doesn't work which isn't really surprising at the moment.  Weirdly enough though, driving controller input seems mildly better?  It could just be my imagination, or maybe it's all of those performance improvements made since x-r2?

You can find the rest of my results (and my notes) in my spreadsheet.  I hope that helps and thank you for all that you do!

Edited by KainXavier
Corrected a typo.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, KainXavier said:

I've completed a pass on firmware v1.1x-r5 debug and the x.02 dumper with all of my games and accessories. 

I'm very happy to report that my copy of Zippy the Porcupine (NTSC) now works! :D

Aside from that, there are the usual input issues.  I now have a Quadtari so I've added that to the list.  It doesn't work which isn't really surprising at the moment.  Weirdly enough though, driving controller input seems mildly better?  It could just be my imagination, or maybe it's all of those performance improvements made since x-r2?

You can find the rest of my results (and my notes) in my spreadsheet.  I hope that helps and thank you for all that you do!

Thanks for your spreadsheet,  I did not know indy 500 could be played with joysticks. 👍 

• Like 2

On 7/11/2024 at 1:53 AM, KainXavier said:

I just updated the compatibility spreadsheet as someone said the Xonox Lancelot / Robin hood didn't work, I think on the original FW release, but I know it's been working for me at least since r2, so I updated it. I'm not sure if the spreadsheets are designed for tracking multiple versions, but you may want to edit it if so, I'm not an expert on spreadsheet etiquette. 

1 hour ago, tradyblix said:

I just updated the compatibility spreadsheet as someone said the Xonox Lancelot / Robin hood didn't work, I think on the original FW release, but I know it's been working for me at least since r2, so I updated it. I'm not sure if the spreadsheets are designed for tracking multiple versions, but you may want to edit it if so, I'm not an expert on spreadsheet etiquette. 

I appreciate that you attempted to update the spreadsheet, but I would ask that you refrain from editing existing entries aside from your own.  The purpose of the spreadsheet is track everybody's results across multiple firmwares, regions, etc.  You can click the Platform link at the top of the Games sheet to jump to an empty row where you can log your own results using the drop menus or text boxes for each column.  (You can do the same for accessories by clicking the Name link on the Accessories sheet.)

I've since restored the previous entry for the launch firmware and added one for you for the r-5 experimental firmware.

Edit #1: Also, you mentioned that the Lancelot / Robin Hard cart has been working for you since r2.  You can add separate entries for each firmware version and elaborate on which dumper you used if you recall.

Edit #2: Lastly, if it's not clear you can use the drop down menus in the Results sheet to filter all of the data in the Games and Accessories sheets.  This will give you a better sense of how each firmware / dumper build is performing.  (It's also why individual results are so important!)

Edited by KainXavier
Added more information.

8 hours ago, KainXavier said:

I appreciate that you attempted to update the spreadsheet, but I would ask that you refrain from editing existing entries aside from your own.  The purpose of the spreadsheet is track everybody's results across multiple firmwares, regions, etc.  You can click the Platform link at the top of the Games sheet to jump to an empty row where you can log your own results using the drop menus or text boxes for each column.  (You can do the same for accessories by clicking the Name link on the Accessories sheet.)

I've since restored the previous entry for the launch firmware and added one for you for the r-5 experimental firmware.

Edit #1: Also, you mentioned that the Lancelot / Robin Hard cart has been working for you since r2.  You can add separate entries for each firmware version and elaborate on which dumper you used if you recall.

Edit #2: Lastly, if it's not clear you can use the drop down menus in the Results sheet to filter all of the data in the Games and Accessories sheets.  This will give you a better sense of how each firmware / dumper build is performing.  (It's also why individual results are so important!)

Cool thanks. Perhaps you should lock it then, which I know from past experience is possible with these types of spreadsheets. And maybe post the rules clearly in a section on the spreadsheet.

Right now, I don't find this to be as useful 1.) because anyone can edit it, without knowing they shouldn't and we don't know the source or author and 2.) because it doesn't have correct information for all carts and people who try to be helpful like me, get chastised. That's... not a great experience for anyone I don't think. Just my 2 cents. 

I just don't know how much of that spreadsheet is accurate now since I found it was incorrect immediately with a cart I owned and nobody had noticed. 

I mean, I'd just take it as a general guide and definately try a few times myself regardless of what that thing says. I mean I already know I've been confused by carts that seemingly don't load and just need extended cleaning or in the case of Activision carts "pulled out a little" so that could easily throw anyone new coming to that spreadsheet off.... 

The other thing I worry about is what happens when the 2600+ slot hardware revision comes out, and some games are more or less compatible with it ? That might a nightmare to maintain.

Still, I appreciate your efforts, don't get me wrong, I just think it needs to have a proper curation system that's clear.

What about if you posted it in it's own thread, locked (the spreadsheet not the thread), and then people posted in the thread, maybe with pics of the carts working, and then you update it and track their names ? that could avoid this problem and give room for discussion of it. 

Edited by tradyblix

As of July 14, 2024, attached is all the files and thorough step-by-step instructions on updating the 2600+ console, whether it is the first time the console is being updated, or it has been updated previously.

Complete zip archive: How to Update the 2600+ Console_20240714.zip

Included Word document in the above attached archive provides the following information:

HOW TO UPDATE THE 2600+ CONSOLE

(As of July 14, 2024)

There are two parts to a complete 2600+ console update:

Part I – Dumper --> Reads the cartridge data

Part II – Firmware --> Runs the cartridge data and controls overall functionality of the console

Prerequisites & Setup: A desktop or laptop running Windows is required to successfully update the 2600+ console.  If this is the first time the desktop or laptop running Windows is being utilized for an update, it is very likely, a one-time driver install needs to be performed.

If the machine has been utilized to update the 2600+ console previously, jump to the next section, “Part I – Dumper” below.  Otherwise follow these steps to install the driver:

1.       Ensure POWER lever switch is set to the OFF position on the 2600+ console.

2.       Connect included USB cable to the 2600+ console and the other end to a laptop or desktop running Windows.

3.       On the 2600+ console, set the TV TYPE to COLOR.

4.       While HOLDING DOWN the RESET GAME lever on the console, move the POWER lever to the ON position.

5.       Wait to hear an audio jingle indicating a device connected from the computer running Windows.

6.       Decompress the file: DriverAssitant_v5.12.zip, noting where the folder and files are placed.

7.       Go to ‘Device Manager’ on the machine running Windows and click on the ‘Unknown Device’ listed.

8.       Select ‘Update Driver’ for the ‘Unknown Device’ opting to Browse for Driver.  Navigate to the folder where the DriverAssitant_v5.12.zip file was decompressed and select the OK button.

9.       A confirmation pop-up message should be received indicating a successful driver update.

10.     Proceed with the section “Part I – Dumper

Part I – Dumper

1.       Ensure POWER lever switch is set to the OFF position on the 2600+ console.

2.       Connect included USB cable to the 2600+ console and the other end to a laptop or desktop running Windows.

3.       On the 2600+ console, set the TV TYPE to B+W.

4.       While HOLDING DOWN the SELECT GAME lever on the console, move the POWER lever to the ON position.

5.       Wait to hear an audio jingle indicating a device connected from the computer running Windows.

6.       Double click/Open the file: dumper-070624-x.03.exe

7.       The “Atari 2600+ Dumping Tooling” application Window will appear on screen:

a.       Version: = Version of dumper software that will be installed

b.       Checksum: = Validation data of file running.

c.       Device Version: = Version of dumper software currently installed on the 2600+

d.       Status: = Whether a 2600+ console is detected as connect to the computer.

8.       Ensure “Status: Detected” in green is present.  If “Not Detected” in red is present, go back to Step 1.  If the issue persists, try a different Laptop or Desktop running Windows.

9.       With “Status: Detected” in green shown, click on the “Download” button.  Download will take several seconds.

10.     Status will now show “Not Detected” in red.  This is normal, expected, and indicates a successful update.  To double check, proceed to Step 1 again and note when under step 7, both “Version” and “Device Version” will match, and “Status: Detected”.

Part II – Firmware

3.       On the 2600+ console, set the TV TYPE to COLOR.

4.       While HOLDING DOWN the RESET GAME lever on the console, move the POWER lever to the ON position.

6.       Decompress the file: RKDevTool_Release_v2.74.zip, noting where the folder and files are placed.

7.       Navigate to folder where RKDevTool_Release_v2.74.zip was unzipped, and click/Open the file: RKDevTool

8.       The "RKDevTool v2.74" application window will appear.  A status message at the bottom of the application window should state “Found One MASKROM Device”.  If not, go back to Step 1 and try again.  If the issue persists, ensure the “Prerequisites & Setup section above has been performed.

9.       With a status message of "Found one MASKROM device" shown, click on the tab “Upgrade Firmware”

10.     Under the “Upgrade Firmware” tab, click on the “Firmware” button, locate and Open the file: update-071024-1.1x-r6.img.

11.     The firmware update-071024-1.1x-r6.img should now be listed under “Firmware” information section of the “Upgrade Firmware” tab.

12.     Click on the “Upgrade” button under the “Upgrade Firmware” tab. To the right, lines will be displayed indicating it is processing the update, of which should take about 30 seconds.

13.     Status message of “No Devices Found” will likely appear.  This is normal and expected.

14.     Congratulations!  Having completed Part I – Dumper and Part II – Firmware, your 2600+ console is fully updated!

Notes:

-          It has been discovered that computers which have been utilized to update Evercade devices, install a driver which conflicts with performing the 2600+ update successfully.  It is strongly recommended to either uninstall the driver for that Evercade device, or utilize a different computer.

-          The USB cable that is included with the 2600+ console, provides data transfer support.  Many USB cables on the market are for powering or charging devices only.  If not using the USB cable included with the 2600+ console, it is crucial to ensure the cable being leveraged provides data transfer support.

-          If utilizing a USB 2.0 port with a computer, and the update is not working, try leveraging a USB 3.0 port instead.

-          There is an alternative ‘debug’ version of the firmware.  This is for assisting with testing and informational purposes, which details MD5 checksum and ROM size data.  It is included in the archive in a separate 'Debug' folder, but not required to be installed.

Hope this is found useful and beneficial for all in updating their 2600+ console.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, raz0red said:

Minor firmware (1.1x-r6) and dumper (x.03) updates on first page.

Thanks,

Chris.

Many thanks, as usual no problems to install🤙

Once you managed to install the driver it js so easy, I did it maybe 30 times the last months 🤗

I could see the debug printout on the top shows more info about the dumper now🤙

My Medieval is still only running fine 1 of 5 dumps and even then you never now if it fails with glitches later.

I think about to order a new cart. My current is NTSC, should I get a PAL, so it runs with original HW with correct colors too🤔

• Like 2

WOW!!!!! 

Thank you so much for bringing us support for omega race with a 7800 controller !!!!

That was one that I really wanted to play, and I couldn't until now ! 

You guys are really bringing the amazing improvements. What a time to be alive. 

@KainXavier you got another entry to update now ;)

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, tradyblix said:

@KainXavier you got another entry to update now ;)

I've added support for the new dumper and firmware revisions.  Any past entries [for Omega Race or its controller] using previous firmware or dumper combinations are valid and should not be changed.  If you feel these are not correct, then as we've discussed several times before, you can add your own entries to counter-balance them.

@raz0red@batari@RevEng

Thank you all for your hard work with the firmware and dumper revisions!

Edited by KainXavier
Clarified text.
  • Like 2

Any idea of if/when this gets an official release and if, for its official release, work is also being done on making the update process more consumer friendly and less complex?

Edit: I'm sorry but as a bit of a luddite technophobe, this whole process looks more than a little scary.

Edited by insertclevernamehere

2 minutes ago, insertclevernamehere said:

Any idea of if/when this gets an official release and if, for its official release, work is also being done on making the update process more consumer friendly and less complex?

Ongoing support, e.g. for upcoming homebrews is more important to me.

Hope the updates never end!😊

• Like 2

Not sure if r6 has better paddle support or not for the CX30+ still a bit slower still but not to sure on my testing with Super Breakout.

using super breakout for cx30+ testing and it moves a bit faster with them....this needs a further test.

17 minutes ago, Prince Manic said:

Not sure if r6 has better paddle support or not for the CX30+ still a bit slower still but not to sure on my testing with Super Breakout.

using super breakout for cx30+ testing and it moves a bit faster with them....this needs a further test.

There is nothing in the release notes, so there should be no change.

The only reason why paddle games play maybe better on experimental loads is the fixed video driver (I had this impression) but no line of code got changed to improve controller input, as far as I know.

So, if you jump from 1.0 or 1.1 Rev1/2 to 1.1x you might benefit from the video driver but not from improved input🤔

• Like 2

1 hour ago, insertclevernamehere said:

Edit: I'm sorry but as a bit of a luddite technophobe, this whole process looks more than a little scary.

It isn't complicated after you have done it a few times. Try the updates, it's no big deal 👍🏻

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, shane857 said:

It isn't complicated after you have done it a few times. Try the updates, it's no big deal 👍🏻

I just did it for probably the 4th time. This one was the easiest yet because I’ve done it so many times now. The process isn’t difficult at all just have to remember the switch placement for firmware (always color for firmware) the dumper stays the same so you only have to do the firmware pass. 

played Omega Race for the first time with the gampad, but it DID make me curious about the intended experience with the booster grip. 

• Like 1