IGNORED

Experimental 2600+ Firmware and Dumper

raz0red

4 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

The one where I asked a legitimate question - "how many are there?"

No, the one where you made a false assumption "can't be more than a handful."

Which you deliberately left out when quoting yourself now. Don't try to play games with people.

• Like 2

There are tens of commercial homebrew PAL60 games. For example Champ Store sells 15 games and many more are on AtariAge store.

Sometimes there isn't a PAL50 version, only PAL60, because PAL60 games have the same speed of NTSC and NTSC>PAL conversion is very easy, you only need to adjust color values.

If you consider homebrew games available in ROM format (you can load them from multicarts, Atari 2600+ loads them in single ROM mode), there are hundreds.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

No, the one where you made a false assumption "can't be more than a handful."

Which you deliberately left out when quoting yourself now. Don't try to play games with people.

Which I also acknowledged in my previous reply "but a few MORE than a handful." because I didn't know it was that many.

I'm not here to fight you.

58 minutes ago, raz0red said:

Agreed.

I created a tool a while ago that allows for injecting files and settings into the firmware. Once I have some time I can work on making it publicly available and facilitate these types of updates.

Chris.

Tech legend 🤟🏻

• Like 3

Just now, Philsan said:

There are tens of commercial homebrew PAL60 games. For example Champ Store sells 15 games and many more are on AtariAge store.

Sometimes there isn't a PAL50 version, only PAL60, because PAL60 games have the same speed of NTSC and NTSC>PAL conversion is very easy, you only need to adjust color values.

If you consider homebrew games available in ROM format (you can load them from multicarts, Atari 2600+ loads them in single ROM mode), there are hundreds.

This is kind of more along the lines of what I thought. Commercially available PAL 60 games is a relatively small number. I wasn't considering the hundreds of random roms of homebrew and hacks that have no official cart release because technically multicarts aren't officially supported on the 2600+.

I counted and at the moment AtariAge store has circa 40 PAL60 games.

As written Champ Games has 15 games.

There other sellers too.

Many future cartridges will be available in PAL60 format therefore an easy way of updating 2600+ PAL60 "database" would be welcome, thanks Chris!

Obviously the problem would be solved if 2600+ will have an on-screen menu.

With regards to PAL60 ROMs not available in cartridge format, usually they are available in NTSC format therefore I don't see a big problem here.

• Like 3

Quick question. I'm not great with all these installs but I've used the latest dumper and installed r6. I've got 2 copies of Pitfall 2, PAL and NTSC and neither of them will run (they've both been cleaned repeatedly and are spotless). Am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated 😁

The top image is PAL and the bottom is NTSC.

20240724_154053.jpg

20240724_154222.jpg

11 minutes ago, Kuff Dam said:

Quick question. I'm not great with all these installs but I've used the latest dumper and installed r6. I've got 2 copies of Pitfall 2, PAL and NTSC and neither of them will run (they've both been cleaned repeatedly and are spotless). Am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated 😁

The top image is PAL and the bottom is NTSC.

20240724_154053.jpg

20240724_154222.jpg

You have Dumper X.03 installed? I have PitfallII NTSC and it works fine.

• Like 1

Either they are finicky carts that need to be seated just right or they need another clean. Possibly both. I have Pitfall 2 NTSC and it's fine. 

After a good clean and inserting the carts then wiggling them out a little if you still have no luck can you check that you have definitely definitely definitely installed the latest firmware and dumper correctly?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All my Activision carts have trouble booting up. They are looser in the slot than all the cartridges made by another company. Some seem a bit better than others. I’ve taken up putting a penny between the cart and the lower part of the cartridge slot. It seems to help. First party, Imagic, M-Network, Parker Bros., CBS fit well and boot up fine. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OscarGungan said:

All my Activision carts have trouble booting up. They are looser in the slot than all the cartridges made by another company. Some seem a bit better than others. I’ve taken up putting a penny between the cart and the lower part of the cartridge slot. It seems to help. First party, Imagic, M-Network, Parker Bros., CBS fit well and boot up fine. 

Really? I don't seem to have that issue with any of my Activision carts.

Pitfall II is also working for me on all the latest updates. 

I suggest using an electronic contact cleaner over IPA personally. Any cart I clean very well with that never gives me any issue and I have like 90+ carts now. 

Also, I never leave any carts fully inserted when I'm not using the 2600+. Just trying to let the grip pins keep their natural position. 🤷‍♂️

Just some ideas for anyone who reads this comment. 

Quick update. Thanks for the tips. I double checked the dumper and firmware and they're the correct ones (see photos). I had given the carts plenty of cleans but did them a few times again using contact cleaner. Tried wiggling the carts in the slot and wedging a bit of card in etc and I'm still getting the same results.

I'm beginning to think that I'm the lucky owner of 2 duff carts 😁

20240724_202245.jpg

20240724_200625.jpg

3 hours ago, Striker667xbl said:

Really? I don't seem to have that issue with any of my Activision carts.

Pitfall II is also working for me on all the latest updates. 

I suggest using an electronic contact cleaner over IPA personally. Any cart I clean very well with that never gives me any issue and I have like 90+ carts now. 

Also, I never leave any carts fully inserted when I'm not using the 2600+. Just trying to let the grip pins keep their natural position. 🤷‍♂️

Just some ideas for anyone who reads this comment. 

Same for me. After cleaning the contacts very thoroughly, all my Activision carts PAL and NTSC work absolutely flawlessly.
For me, thorough cleaning meant dismantling the carts, cleaning the contacts several times with Brunox Turbo Spray (a contact and cleaning spray) and a Q-Tip, and carefully sanding them down with a Dremel multi-tool in between. Almost none of my Activision games worked when I got them from eBay.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2LTIME6100 said:

Same for me. After cleaning the contacts very thoroughly, all my Activision carts PAL and NTSC work absolutely flawlessly.
For me, thorough cleaning meant dismantling the carts, cleaning the contacts several times with Brunox Turbo Spray (a contact and cleaning spray) and a Q-Tip, and carefully sanding them down with a Dremel multi-tool in between. Almost none of my Activision games worked when I got them from eBay.

You sanded down the circuit board between the contacts? 😱

My Pitfall PAL works fine. All my Activision carts work fine. But I have "repaired" the cartridge slot of the 2600+ several times.

In my case, cartridges with a bit thicker PCB in them sometimes bend a few pins of the cartridge slot, so I had to pull them back up with a needle.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kuff Dam said:

Quick update. Thanks for the tips. I double checked the dumper and firmware and they're the correct ones (see photos). I had given the carts plenty of cleans but did them a few times again using contact cleaner. Tried wiggling the carts in the slot and wedging a bit of card in etc and I'm still getting the same results.

20240724_202245.jpg

20240724_200625.jpg

Do you have access to an original console to test them on?

The dumper app screenshot shows 'undetected'. I take it it successfully installed first? It shows undetected before and after an installation. You saw 'detected' and hit download I take it? 

You have to flick the correct switch too to get your PC to detect the console. 

Edited by JetmanUK

Yeah the dumper screenshot was taken after I did the install, just to show what version I used. A mate of mine has got an original console but I'm not sure if he's got a CRT to play it on. I'll have a word and try the carts on that if I can. 

1 hour ago, Kuff Dam said:

20240724_202245.jpg

20240724_200625.jpg

Uhg.. that is frustrating... Would you mind taking a picture of the cart pins on both sides?

Just now, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I just noticed that Stella 6.7 seems to be used. Wasn't there a version which used Stella 7.0pre?

Not that I've seen. I hope we do get 7.0 though! Especially with that revised brightened standard PAL palette you are working on. 🤟🏻😁

28 minutes ago, Kuff Dam said:

Yeah the dumper screenshot was taken after I did the install, just to show what version I used. A mate of mine has got an original console but I'm not sure if he's got a CRT to play it on. I'll have a word and try the carts on that if I can. 

Many modern TVs still have an analogue tuner. You may be able to use the classic console on a current TV that you use. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

You sanded down the circuit board between the contacts? 😱

Don't panic 😉, I sanded and polished the contacts VERY CAREFULLY with the Dremel. Soft metal brush, then polishing attachment 🧽, low speed, little pressure. Worked well so far 👍 This was only necessary for the Activision carts. I got all the others working with a little Q-tip care

Anyone else having trouble with Nexar on the latest build ? 

I've cleaned it well and it looks clean, but it only seems to load to garbled screens. 

The cart is a non-standard cart, so that might be why, I know the original dumper doesn't do well with them sometimes. 

It also has a pesky slide cover. 

Edited by tradyblix

45 minutes ago, tradyblix said:

Anyone else having trouble with Nexar on the latest build ? 

I've cleaned it well and it looks clean, but it only seems to load to garbled screens. 

The cart is a non-standard cart, so that might be why, I know the original dumper doesn't do well with them sometimes. 

It also has a pesky slide cover. 

The PAL version loaded and ran fine when I tested it.