IGNORED

Experimental 2600+ Firmware and Dumper

raz0red

I think on 2600+ screen should be moved a fex pixels up to remove green bar.

Xevious PAL Atari 2600+

Xevious2600.thumb.png.d6a82dba3f1410dbb90d007b3e991dda.png

Xevious PAL Atari 7800 (there are some pixels because screen is slightly rotated counterclockwise, it happens on CRT TVs)

Xevious7800-2.thumb.png.125be73d5357f573577f731030ac2628.png

• Like 1

A new bug for @raz0red  

When playing Stay Frosty 2 all looks fine but I cannot throw snowballs after eating a carrot on the level 4. Jumping is fine. Apparently this is a problem of Stay Frosty in 2600+ always recognizing a controller as a genesis controller.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just received a copy of Pitfall II Pal (fairly rare down here in Oz) and after cleaning contacts and confirming it worked on my "real" 2600, I've installed latest dumper/firmware versions from this thread and after a pit of niggling in the cartridge socket it's working great.  Now to do up a repro label for it, it's not in the best shape but it works so pretty thrilled with that.  

Edited by MittyOz
  • Like 6

14 minutes ago, Alex_813 said:

Did you get Omega Race to work with the Booster Grip?

That’s my score, using the Booster Grip. I also played with a gamepad and it worked well. I’m going to test more with the Booster Grip because it seemed to stop working a couple times during my game and the gamepad didn’t have that issue. 

• Like 2

On 7/28/2024 at 11:17 PM, MarcinJ said:

A new bug for @raz0red  

When playing Stay Frosty 2 all looks fine but I cannot throw snowballs after eating a carrot on the level 4. Jumping is fine. Apparently this is a problem of Stay Frosty in 2600+ always recognizing a controller as a genesis controller.

Can you please capture the MD5 via the debug firmware?

Thanks a lot,

Chris.

18 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

That’s my score, using the Booster Grip. I also played with a gamepad and it worked well. I’m going to test more with the Booster Grip because it seemed to stop working a couple times during my game and the gamepad didn’t have that issue. 

My booster grip fires in reverse on the Plus. Nothing when button pressed and fires when released. Thrust is fine. It works perfectly on my 4 switcher though.

4 hours ago, Alex_813 said:

My booster grip fires in reverse on the Plus. Nothing when button pressed and fires when released. Thrust is fine. It works perfectly on my 4 switcher though.

Most likely Stella assumes a Genesis controller. There the button works in reverse.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 2

On 7/30/2024 at 3:42 PM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Most likely Stella assumes a Genesis controller. There the button works in reverse.

I will have to try with a Genesis controller and see if it's the same. I did get the ProLine to work with Omega Race, but I had to re-seat the controller several times. It seems my 2600+ left controller port is starting to get finicky.

20240801_215811.jpg

My Retron 77 used to work flawlessly from the time I bought it several years ago until the last time I used it which was last month sometime. I tried to use it today but it wouldn't even turn on. The power light lights up but that's it. I tried different HDMI cables and different ports on my TV with no benefit.  Will this firmware maybe fix my problem? 

51 minutes ago, Alex_813 said:

I will have to try with a Genesis controller and see if it's the same. I did get the ProLine to work with Omega Race, but I had to re-seat the controller several times. It seems my 2600+ left controller port is starting to get finicky.

20240801_215811.jpg

In my experience I believe some old third party controllers lack a solid connection with the port. I’ve experienced this as well most likely due to wear on the controller end. Couple of options…

1. Change the DB9 connector on the controller. There is a no solder option.

2. I use a DB9 extension cable male to female. The extension cable makes a solid connection to the port on the 2600+ while the controller seems to have a solid connection at the other end of the cable. This works for some of my older third party controllers while allowing me to sit back when playing.

IMG_1424.jpeg

IMG_1425.jpeg

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, DarthDuke said:

My Retron 77 used to work flawlessly from the time I bought it several years ago until the last time I used it which was last month sometime. I tried to use it today but it wouldn't even turn on. The power light lights up but that's it. I tried different HDMI cables and different ports on my TV with no benefit.  Will this firmware maybe fix my problem? 

Check the micro sd card is seated properly. Also be sure to use the correct HDMI input 1, 2 or 3. And No this firmware won’t work for a Retron 77

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

In my experience I believe some old third party controllers lack a solid connection with the port. I’ve experienced this as well most likely due to wear on the controller end. Couple of options…

2. I use a DB9 extension cable male to female. The extension cable makes a solid connection to the port on the 2600+ while the controller seems to have a solid connection at the other end of the cable. This works for some of my older third party controllers while allowing me to sit back when playing.

IMG_1424.jpeg

IMG_1425.jpeg

I use an extension cable for the same reason with my very old Epyx stick.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

Check the micro sd card is seated properly. Also be sure to use the correct HDMI input 1, 2 or 3. And No this firmware won’t work for a Retron 77

Thanks for the tip.  I tried that. Didn't seem to help.  Good to know in advance that the firmware wont work before I tried it.  Websites that host these firmwares are very unhelpful when it comes to letting you know what they will work for and how to install them. I guess they assume all their readers are coders or something and already know. 

1 hour ago, DarthDuke said:

Thanks for the tip.  I tried that. Didn't seem to help.  Good to know in advance that the firmware wont work before I tried it.  Websites that host these firmwares are very unhelpful when it comes to letting you know what they will work for and how to install them. I guess they assume all their readers are coders or something and already know. 

Everybody has different talents, some can code well, some can explain well. The latter should step in were the former fail.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

IMG_1424.jpeg

IMG_1425.jpeg

I have a couple of extension cables. Have not thought of using them, as the console is just sitting on my desk. I'll give that a shot.

• Like 2

On 8/2/2024 at 5:18 AM, Striker667xbl said:

I use an extension cable for the same reason with my very old Epyx stick.

Same here. I always have two extension cables connected to not wear out the port. Some old sticks like my TAC2 do not connect well on the 2600+ port, the Comp Pros do.

The Atari extension cables are very good .

Some other new cables give you trouble with paddles or 7800 controllers (phantom key press). Old cables from the 80s have good quality and work on the 2600+, too.

Edited by DEANJIMMY
  • Like 1

On 7/29/2024 at 8:17 AM, MarcinJ said:

A new bug for @raz0red  

I can confirm- after installing Rev 6 Stay Frosty recognized joystick as CX-40. 

• Like 3

On 8/2/2024 at 12:08 AM, DarthDuke said:

This firmware and thread, is for the 2600+ dude. I don't know why you think it's for Retron 77. 

• Like 2

Is there any progress on getting the CX21 Video Touch Pad working?  It is a real let down that Star Raider can run on the Atari 2600+ but is not playable since the CX21 doesn't work.  Has it been determined that compatibility for the CX21 on the Atari 2600 is not possible for technical reasons and that is why we haven't yet seen this resolved with any of the firmware updates?

I do hope that a future version of the experimental firmware will enable compatibility for it since as far as I can tell Plaion most likely is not going to release any additional firmware updates.  I am curious if it

1 minute ago, Tidus79001 said:

Is there any progress on getting the CX21 Video Touch Pad working?  It is a real let down that Star Raider can run on the Atari 2600+ but is not playable since the CX21 doesn't work.  Has it been determined that compatibility for the CX21 on the Atari 2600 is not possible for technical reasons and that is why we haven't yet seen this resolved with any of the firmware updates?

I do hope that a future version of the experimental firmware will enable compatibility for it since as far as I can tell Plaion most likely is not going to release any additional firmware updates.  I am curious if it

Atari/Plaion absolutely will release more updates, they will be based on the experimental version that we are all helping to test right now. 

With regards to the touchpad and other controllers, it's been stated that they will look into this when other issues have been sorted.

As a guy I used to work with would often say 'One bag of shit at a time'.  😁

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Atari/Plaion absolutely will release more updates, they will be based on the experimental version that we are all helping to test right now. 

With regards to the touchpad and other controllers, it's been stated that they will look into this when other issues have been sorted.

As a guy I used to work with would often say 'One bag of shit at a time'.  😁

That is good hear they are still working on update.  Not trying to accuse Plain of abandoning the Atari 2600+ but just hadn't heard anything from them since January and have seen a few community released firmware updates.  No trying rush anyone it.  Just was checking to see what was known about the CX21 compatibility or the possibility of it in a future firmware update.

1 hour ago, Tidus79001 said:

That is good hear they are still working on update.  Not trying to accuse Plain of abandoning the Atari 2600+ but just hadn't heard anything from them since January and have seen a few community released firmware updates.  No trying rush anyone it.  Just was checking to see what was known about the CX21 compatibility or the possibility of it in a future firmware update.

The community released firmwares are literally being built by Plaion. This site right here that you are posting on is where they are being released. The most recent one is only 2 weeks old.

They are not going to reach out individually to every person who bought the console in January and let them know personally there is an update available, especially if you bought it from Amazon and Atari/Plaion don’t even know who those people are.

when a major update is released it will eventually be posted on Atari.com, but to use the word “abandoned” in regards to a console that has only be out for 8 months and had new games and controllers released a month ago is just…. Silly.