IGNORED

Experimental 2600+ Firmware and Dumper

raz0red

22 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Grade the unopened Star Raiders and Kids Controller pack!

Or indulge yourself with the gratifying experience of opening up a special videogame pack thats stayed sealed for 40 years.

Imagine peeling off the shrinkwrap and opening up the box fresh contents!

I got it as a gift when I was twelve and obtaining a sealed one and opening it to find everything brand-new - comic book, Christmas catalogue and all was the biggest nostalgia rush next to turning on the 2600+. Needless to say not being able to play Star Raiders is EXTREMELY disappointing 😩

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

I got it as a gift when I was twelve and obtaining a sealed one and opening it to find everything brand-new - comic book, Christmas catalogue and all was the biggest nostalgia rush next to turning on the 2600+. Needless to say not being able to play Star Raiders is EXTREMELY disappointing 😩

Hopefully playable soon bro. This is probably my ...............th post hoping for support!

Just trying to keep it fresh in Atari's memories. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

lol. I check Atari Age at least once a month hoping for this one update (Star Raiders support). 🙂

That said, I understand it’s a big lift for 1 game.

It’s just that damn good of a game. 🙂

Edited by dashv
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, mparrish11 said:

With the 7800+ announcement today, is it safe to assume that this experimental FW is what's targeted to be shipped with the new console (and hopefully continued on the 2600+)?

Yes. My question exactly. When the 7800+ is released, will 2600+ owners still get equal support and updates?

Or will focus be mainly on the 7800+? 🤔

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, shane857 said:

Yes. My question exactly. When the 7800+ is released, will 2600+ owners still get equal support and updates?

I would assume so as they are marketing an Atari + Platform that encompasses both. There's more nostalgia and widespread recognition of the 2600's iconic looks too, so I would assume it would be the bigger seller of the two models. 

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, shane857 said:

I suppose both use identical hardware and software. So except for the case there is no difference. Therefore any update for the 2600+ will automatically be an update for the 7800+ (and vice versa).

Or maybe I am wrong and someone can point out the differences.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

I would assume so as they are marketing an Atari + Platform that encompasses both. There's more nostalgia and widespread recognition of the 2600's iconic looks too, so I would assume it would be the bigger seller of the two models. 

A solid perspective. Alternatively, the 7800+ may sell more as it's being released with more games and the 7800 is a harder to find console. Can't wait to see how it does. Atari considered the 2600+ a success, hope the 7800+ makes them some bucks too.

9 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I suppose both use identical hardware and software. So except for the case there is no difference. Therefore any update for the 2600+ will automatically be an update for the 7800+ (and vice versa).

Or maybe I am wrong and someone can point out the differences.

Ben has confirmed some hardware differences already Thomas. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Ben has confirmed some hardware differences already Thomas. 

Do you have a link to that?

Makes sense that there are small hardware differences; one obvious difference is the pause button, which the 2600+ doesn’t have.

14 minutes ago, Dionoid said:

Makes sense that there are small hardware differences; one obvious difference is the pause button, which the 2600+ doesn’t have.

It's in the 7800 Plus announcement topic (I think). 

5 hours ago, mparrish11 said:

With the 7800+ announcement today, is it safe to assume that this experimental FW is what's targeted to be shipped with the new console (and hopefully continued on the 2600+)?

It kinda sounds like there's another revision that is yet to be released honestly. For example ben at one point was calling it the 1.7 release where the 7 I assumed stood for r7 in the 1.1x-r7 nomenclature. But I could be wrong. 

Also someone needs to give me feedback and or fix that nexar cart compatibility, and I'm sure there might be other fixes. So feels like we have time. getting close tho ! 

Edited by tradyblix

11 hours ago, tradyblix said:

It kinda sounds like there's another revision that is yet to be released honestly. For example ben at one point was calling it the 1.7 release where the 7 I assumed stood for r7 in the 1.1x-r7 nomenclature. But I could be wrong. 

Also someone needs to give me feedback and or fix that nexar cart compatibility, and I'm sure there might be other fixes. So feels like we have time. getting close tho ! 

That was the way I understood it as well. Went looking for 1.1x-r7 and it doesn't appear to be released yet.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Dionoid said:

It does, I just found this out also! The B/W switch is the 7800 pause feature. I’m not sure if it was an original feature or if it was in a Firmware update but it does work on the 2600+ for 7800 games.

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MrChickenz said:

It does, I just found this out also! The B/W switch is the 7800 pause feature. I’m not sure if it was an original feature or if it was in a Firmware update but it does work on the 2600+ for 7800 games.

Yes, I know the 7800 pause button is basically a momentary switch of the B/W toggle. But still that means the hardware is slightly different: a toggle switch is just different from a momentary switch.

34 minutes ago, Dionoid said:

Yes, I know the 7800 pause button is basically a momentary switch of the B/W toggle. But still that means the hardware is slightly different: a toggle switch is just different from a momentary switch.

Not necessarily, maybe the board is just reversed the controller ports are now in front as are the switches.

It could still be the same momentary switch. Does the pause switch on the 7800+ act as the B/W switch in 2600+ mode?

Which is one more reason to own the 7800+ ports and switches are all in the front! 👍

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MrChickenz said:

Not necessarily, maybe the board is just reversed the controller ports are now in front as are the switches.

It could still be the same momentary switch. Does the pause switch on the 7800+ act as the B/W switch in 2600+ mode?

Which is one more reason to own the 7800+ ports and switches are all in the front! 👍

The 7800+ is sexy, Super Sexy. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, shane857 said:

I think its going to be both, it seems they're very similar systems anyways, if anything they might just be two sides of the same coin, targeting two different markets with the same platform.

I think the 2600+ and 7800+ will use the same firmware as they use the same soc. There might be differences in the dumper firmware though, because Ben stated the 7800+ will use different chips for the dumper.

And if people want access to screenshots and high res images of the products, you can visit the Plaion press site in multiple languages. This is the English version:https://presse.plaion.com/ICONIC-INNOVATION-ATARI-AND-PLAION-ANNOUNCE-THE-ATARI-7800 Downloads are available on the right part of the screen.

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fred_M said:

I think the 2600+ and 7800+ will use the same firmware as they use the same soc. There might be differences in the dumper firmware though, because Ben stated the 7800+ will use different chips for the dumper.

And if people want access to screenshots and high res images of the products, you can visit the Plaion press site in multiple languages. This is the English version:https://presse.plaion.com/ICONIC-INNOVATION-ATARI-AND-PLAION-ANNOUNCE-THE-ATARI-7800 Downloads are available on the right part of the screen.

Hmm. That's interesting. Different dumping ?? Well well well. We'll have to put it to the test, back to back comparisons. Sounds like.... content !