IGNORED

Experimental 2600+ Firmware and Dumper

raz0red

@DEANJIMMY is correct. I have tested several PAL carts with several TVs/monitors. It depends on how your European TV handles the signal and that is different for each TV. When the 2600+ is outputting PAL games at 60hz there are no missing sprites. But the scrolling can be more jittery when 50hz games are displayed in 60hz. That is why raz0red will create a menu where you can choose 50hz or 60hz for PAL games. Seems to me as the best of both worlds.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

So, if you feed those devices a 60 Hz hdmi signal, the problem won't happen.

Once the hdmi output is selectable it will solve these kind of TV issues👍

yeah, the menu, which acording to @John Stamos Mullet is beeing addressed in the next firmware (If someone could redirect me to the post where this is mentioned I would appreciate it)

1 hour ago, Krathoon said:

Does the He-Man game work now?

Masters of the Universe: The Power of He-Man has worked perfectly for me at least as early as Dumper 00.00.00.01 & Firmware 1.1-r3 from May 24.

If the console being utilized has a Dumper version and Firmware install the same as, or newer than, the above, and the cartridge does not work, try cleaning the game cartridge PCB contacts more thoroughly.

On 8/27/2024 at 10:45 PM, Fred_M said:

@DEANJIMMY is correct. I have tested several PAL carts with several TVs/monitors. It depends on how your European TV handles the signal and that is different for each TV. When the 2600+ is outputting PAL games at 60hz there are no missing sprites. But the scrolling can be more jittery when 50hz games are displayed in 60hz. That is why raz0red will create a menu where you can choose 50hz or 60hz for PAL games. Seems to me as the best of both worlds.

So I am a new 2600+ owner living in Europe and I bought the console with some Pal cartridges. With the current firmware they run at 50hz? And the next firmware will make them play at 60hz? The 10 in 1 cartridge seem to be ntsc as it runs more smoothly in my eyes. 

Edited by jamez62982

11 minutes ago, jamez62982 said:

So I am a new 2600+ owner living in Europe and I bought the console with some Pal cartridges. With the current firmware they run at 50hz? And the next firmware will make them play at 60hz? The 10 in 1 cartridge seem to be ntsc as it runs more smoothly in my eyes. 

Atari/Plaion made a few revisions since the introduction of the 2600+ including the firmware it runs. Because of that I cannot tell you if your 2600+ will play PAL games at 50hz TV output out of the box , it depends on the firmare version. But version 1.1 R6 is available for download here and that version plays PAL games at 50hz. Updating your 2600+ is easy to do. Just take a look at the first post in this thread.

New firmware will include an option to choose between 50hz and 60hz for PAL games (games are still running at 50hz, only the TV output is 60hz), but I don't know when that firmware will be publicly available. Just to be clear, we are talking about the TV-output so PAL games will not run faster (or slower).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

Atari/Plaion made a few revisions since the introduction of the 2600+ including the firmware it runs. Because of that I cannot tell you if your 2600+ will play PAL games at 50hz TV output out of the box , it depends on the firmare version. But version 1.1 R6 is available for download here and that version plays PAL games at 50hz. Updating your 2600+ is easy to do. Just take a look at the first post in this thread.

New firmware will include an option to choose between 50hz and 60hz for PAL games (games are still running at 50hz, only the TV output is 60hz), but I don't know when that firmware will be publicly available. Just to be clear, we are talking about the TV-output so PAL games will not run faster (or slower).

Thanks! I have updated my console to the latest firmware. 
So I guess in order to play the best version of a game, I have to buy the ntsc version so they run at 60hz. 
Edit: I just checked the info from my lg oled and I can confirm that 4 in 1 paddle collection output is 60hz and Ninja Golf is 50hz. 

Edited by jamez62982

1 minute ago, jamez62982 said:

So I guess in order to play the best version of a game, I have to buy the ntsc version so they run at 60hz. 

That is not always the case. It depends a lot on the game itself.

In my opinion (this is a forum, so different people have different opinions) most PAL releases run very well, a difference in speed is not by definition present. There are also many other factors to consider like the TV screen/monitor you are using.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, jamez62982 said:

I recently purchased my first PAL game and saved some money. The game looks and plays great for me. I posted on another thread about it.

My PAL CIB Still sealed has arrived! The reason I purchased the PAL version is that the NTSC versions were $49.00 and up for CIB.

Some were sealed, some said new but they were opened and not as good condition the boxes had damage. So I went with the PAL for $25.00. 

I figure if the colors are off it doesn’t matter. So what if my character has a different color shirt, skateboard or hair! It was the 80’s. Lol!

IMG_0312.jpeg

• Like 3

Berzerk Enhanced Edition keeps crashing when I touch the wall. And the game doesn’t play as it should, score isn’t consistent and every time I change a room I must press the fire button to start again. 

Is my cartridge defected? I have installed the latest firmware on my 2600+. 

20 minutes ago, jamez62982 said:

Berzerk Enhanced Edition keeps crashing when I touch the wall. And the game doesn’t play as it should, score isn’t consistent and every time I change a room I must press the fire button to start again. 

You probably need to read the manual 😉https://atari.com/pages/berzerk

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jamez62982 said:

Well I can tell you why the score isn't consistent.  There is a total score and a score for the room your in when you exit the room it will be added to your total score.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jamez62982 said:

I actually prefer playing the original 2600 Berzerk to enhanced with unclear speech.

This is funny! I just put Berzerk in to see how the scoring exactly works. I was playing a bit and stopped for a minute to see what I had posted. I heard constant shooting from a robot, it went in for about 3 of 4 minutes before I finally died. lol. Look how close the one robot is to my character.😄. This is the original Berzerk by the way.

Here is how the scoring works for Berzerk @jamez62982

IMG_1690.jpeg

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fred_M said:

You probably need to read the manual 😉https://atari.com/pages/berzerk

I have to restart the console every time I touch the wall. I don’t think this is normal…. I mean turn it off and the on not reset button. 

Moreover when I change rooms there is no voice and there is the start up image, so I have to press the fire button. Then I start over with 0 score. Something is definitely wrong. 

Edited by jamez62982

I updated to to 1.1x-r3 Stella 6.7 some time back and it fixed a lot of my problem-children cartridges. I reported on that in these forums. I just noticed, I have one cartridge that worked before the update (with the stock revision) but does not work now. Pac Zuma has stopped working.  I bought this one sealed in the package and it is in pristine condition.  I am not sure why I get the "No Game Detected" after it says "Loading Game" for 7-8 seconds. Anyone else have Pac Zuma issues after the update?

2 hours ago, jamez62982 said:

FWIW, I'm not experiencing these issues. I'm also on the latest firmware and dumper.

IMG_5848.jpg

IMG_5841.jpg

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, jamez62982 said:

I have to restart the console every time I touch the wall. I don’t think this is normal…. I mean turn it off and the on not reset button.

Ah, sorry, I did not get that. I assumed you ment that you died when touching the wall.

The behaviour you describe is not normal. The firmware version does not "really" matter, because Berzerk enhanced was released at the same time as the 2600+. So it works fine even with the stock firmware.

I don't know what is wrong. It can be a bad cartridge or maybe a bend pin in the cartridge slot, or a faulty reset button, or ??? What you can do is test other cartridges. Are they working? The games on the 10 in 1 cartridge (and the paddle cartridge) are all very small games in memory size, so try some larger games. Maybe a friend has a 2600 or a 7800? If so, try the Berzerk cartridge in your friends system. Try to find out if the problem lies with the system or the cartridge.

33 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

Ah, sorry, I did not get that. I assumed you ment that you died when touching the wall.

The behaviour you describe is not normal. The firmware version does not "really" matter, because Berzerk enhanced was released at the same time as the 2600+. So it works fine even with the stock firmware.

I don't know what is wrong. It can be a bad cartridge or maybe a bend pin in the cartridge slot, or a faulty reset button, or ??? What you can do is test other cartridges. Are they working? The games on the 10 in 1 cartridge (and the paddle cartridge) are all very small games in memory size, so try some larger games. Maybe a friend has a 2600 or a 7800? If so, try the Berzerk cartridge in your friends system. Try to find out if the problem lies with the system or the cartridge.

Ninja Golf works fine. I requested a replacement from amazon and I’ll have it in a few days so all is good. 

Edited by jamez62982

1 minute ago, jamez62982 said:

Ninja Golf works fine. I requested a replacement from Mamazon and I’ll have it in a few days so all is good. 

Ah! That is good news. I hope the replacment will work 👍

• Like 1