IGNORED

Experimental 2600+ Firmware

raz0red

Loaded up the Debug version to see what it shows for H.E.R.O. (NTSC) and here's what it shows:

so it's running just slightly slower than full speed. Played it for a good 20 minutes and barely saw the tic, maybe twice.

I noticed that the speed ramped between 59.55ish and 59.96ish, Never showed 60+ FPS. Not sure if that's the game itself or something else.

It's completely playable, even close to perfect as is, but sharing just for posterity.

The display itself is a 2021 Samsung QLED 55"

IMG_9575[1].JPG

yet Curiously, another demanding game - California Games never dipped below 60.00 FPS.

IMG_9576[1].JPG

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Like 4

This seems very strange to me, when I first tried to play Atari Donkey Kong 2600 (red cart), the screen came up blank like this:IMG_9314.thumb.jpeg.a8bab95cfef5130a90ca1efe46ce5925.jpeg

then I tried 3 times to reload the cart and got the red message Loading Game Failed. Then on the 4th try it worked just fine:

IMG_9315.thumb.jpeg.7949caddcdadb567087fb32f14a6ebee.jpeg

I wasn’t really expecting to get different results from repeated tries so when this happened it surprised me. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Plumbob said:

This seems very strange to me, when I first tried to play Atari Donkey Kong 2600 (red cart), the screen came up blank like this:IMG_9314.thumb.jpeg.a8bab95cfef5130a90ca1efe46ce5925.jpeg

then I tried 3 times to reload the cart and got the red message Loading Game Failed. Then on the 4th try it worked just fine:

I wasn’t really expecting to get different results from repeated tries so when this happened it surprised me. 

The console is having difficulty reading the cart, and you got lucky on one dump. Cleaning the cart may or may not help

12 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

I noticed that the speed ramped between 59.55ish and 59.96ish, Never showed 60+ FPS. Not sure if that's the game itself or something else.

[...]

yet Curiously, another demanding game - California Games never dipped below 60.00 FPS.

2600 games actually vary in framerate, depending on how many scanlines they use for the display.

If you run H.E.R.O in stella and hit Alt-L you'll see the game is 263 scanlines, which causes the game to run at 59.8 Hz. If you do the same with California Games, it's 262 lines and 60Hz. The occasional blip you're seeing with games that aren't 60Hz is due to HDMI not having a corresponding 59.8 Hz mode, so a frame needs to be dropped somewhere to match. (in this case, 0.3 % of frames) Leading up to the drop the FPS will be a little above the target FPS value, and after the drop it will be a little below the target FPS value.

• Like 11

1 minute ago, RevEng said:

The console is having difficulty reading the cart, and you got luck on one dump. Cleaning the cart may or may not help

2600 games actually vary in framerate, depending on how many scanlines they use for the display.

If you run H.E.R.O in stella and hit Alt-L you'll see the game is 263 scanlines, which causes the game to run at 59.8 Hz. If you do the same with California Games, it's 262 lines and 60Hz. The occasional blip you're seeing with games that aren't 60Hz is due to HDMI not having a corresponding 59.8 Hz mode, so a frame needs to be dropped somewhere to match. (in this case, 0.3 % of frames)

Ah. Well there you go. it's not the game or the console, but an HDMI mismatch deficiency.

Cool. Funny how a real 7800 through an HDMI convertor like a retrotink doesn't have the same frame drops. the Tink must be doing some internal interpolation.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, RevEng said:

The console is having difficulty reading the cart, and you got lucky on one dump. Cleaning the cart may or may not help

If you run H.E.R.O in stella and hit Alt-L you'll see the game is 263 scanlines, which causes the game to run at 59.8 Hz. If you do the same with California Games, it's 262 lines and 60Hz. The occasional blip you're seeing with games that aren't 60Hz is due to HDMI not having a corresponding 59.8 Hz mode, so a frame needs to be dropped somewhere to match. (in this case, 0.3 % of frames) Leading up to the drop the FPS will be a little high, and after the drop it will be a little low.

Ok. That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation! What do you think might be the issue with my Hero2 cart, which consistently shows a blank screen and about 43FPS each time I try it?

Got it installed on my 2600+ that had the clicking in Pitfall! and tested all the games that don’t yet work for me. Aside from Time Pilot, no improvement in the other games I have that don't work. 

Pitfall!

Still has the clicking sound, but the pattern is different. Also, it didn’t start clicking right away. 

TimePilot

works 👍🏼 

Zaxxon

Black screen, no change

IMG_3958.thumb.jpeg.bebc7427548843f7e8c42219b449b8fd.jpeg

Smurf: Rescue

noise on screen. No change

IMG_3959.thumb.jpeg.ec6fe39a02770392b329dcfd73a163dc.jpeg

James Bond 007

Black screen, no change

IMG_3960.thumb.jpeg.8e3779891a02ec00f6a645fcf9df23a6.jpeg

Edited by MikeM_
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, Plumbob said:

Ok. That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation! What do you think might be the issue with my Hero2 cart, which consistently shows a blank screen and about 43FPS each time I try it?

You're welcome. I'm not 100% sure what's going wrong with Hero2, because I don't know what format the game is actually in, since there wasn't a public rom release. 

@raz0red

I've got some good news and some bad news.

The good news is that Maze Craze is now displaying 100% of the time for me.

The bad news is that Aardvark is still freezing upon entering gameplay.  Here's a new screenshot just in case it contains any useful data:

Aardvark_r1_hotfix.thumb.jpg.ca75e6f819dff9728f4376a317646392.jpg

Also, I'm sure I'm running your new build because "1.1x-r2" displays in the bottom right when loading games.

Regarding Zippy, my guess is that it's doing something similar to Maze Craze.  It enters a display mode my TV is not capable of supporting so I'm honestly not sure if it works or not.  I know the cart works on my 7800 with RF, and the colors look right so I don't think it's a PAL cart.

5 minutes ago, KainXavier said:

@raz0red

I've got some good news and some bad news.

The good news is that Maze Craze is now displaying 100% of the time for me.

The bad news is that Aardvark is still freezing upon entering gameplay.  Here's a new screenshot just in case it contains any useful data:

Aardvark_r1_hotfix.thumb.jpg.ca75e6f819dff9728f4376a317646392.jpg

Also, I'm sure I'm running your new build because "1.1x-r2" displays in the bottom right when loading games.

Regarding Zippy, my guess is that it's doing something similar to Maze Craze.  It enters a display mode my TV is not capable of supporting so I'm honestly not sure if it works or not.  I know the cart works on my 7800 with RF, and the colors look right so I don't think it's a PAL cart.

Ok, good news on Maze Craze.

I will send you another build in a bit to test with Aardvark.

Thanks,

Chris.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Did your Juno First ever work on the 2600+?

Mine worked only once when I moved the cart in the slot long time ago.

The debug load shows that only the half of the rom is dumped as in your case.

It worked for me on the launch firmware and the first v1.1 beta.  It stopped working with Rev 2, but that's also when I updated the dumper firmware to v1.1.0.9.  Does anyone know if downgrading the dumper is possible?  I'm happy to try if it won't bork my machine.

16 minutes ago, raz0red said:

I will send you another build in a bit to test with Aardvark.

Okay, sounds good!  If I've fallen asleep at that point, I'll try to check back in with you around this time tomorrow.

Edited by KainXavier

9 minutes ago, KainXavier said:

Sorry for the double-post but this is in regards to the new hotfix build sent to me...

IT WORKS!! :D

Great to hear!

@RevEng added SC-RAM detection for games delivered via the dumper (which fixed Aardvark, and hopefully others). It will be part of the next experimental update.

Chris.

• Like 8

Hello everybody, i am using 2600+ on a 21" CRT via HDMI>Svideo converter, would like to test FPS on my screen so i am asking you how i can have the informations row that i can see on your posted pictures, thanks a lot in advance.
EDIT: I've found now that exists a debug firmware version, i believe that i need to use that instead of standard version.

Edited by lroby74

3 hours ago, KainXavier said:

It worked for me on the launch firmware and the first v1.1 beta.  It stopped working with Rev 2, but that's also when I updated the dumper firmware to v1.1.0.9.  Does anyone know if downgrading the dumper is possible?  I'm happy to try if it won't bork my machine.

Okay, sounds good!  If I've fallen asleep at that point, I'll try to check back in with you around this time tomorrow.

Downgrade of the dumper is possible, I did it without touching the SW to marrow down issues. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, shane857 said:

This is the first time for me playing Atari 7800 games. Are these sounds normal in crossbow? 🤔 And also 7800 games look really pixelated and ugly...lol. Maybe a decent/optional scanline filter could be added in a future update? It doesn't really matter with 2600 games.

istockphoto-1219501536-1024x1024.jpg

Ouch! No, some of those sounds are right - some sound like they're some whack extended cut... LOL But no, no it shouldn't sound like that. LOL

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shane857 said:

This is the first time for me playing Atari 7800 games. Are these sounds normal in crossbow? 🤔 And also 7800 games look really pixelated and ugly...lol. Maybe a decent/optional scanline filter could be added in a future update? It doesn't really matter with 2600 games.

istockphoto-1219501536-1024x1024.jpg

This is the PAL version.

3 hours ago, shane857 said:

Hur hur hur  :roll:

There's a known issue with dumping 7800 Crossbow with certain carts, where 16k of data isn't able to dump. This is what that Crossbow screen normally looks like...

Crossbow_7800.png.bb062684d1e77d9de2b7bb115be91a16.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, shane857 said:

Not only are the colours wrong, but the game seems to be stretched to fullscreen on a widescreen TV. Therefore graphics looks blockier than it should.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1