IGNORED

Experimental 2600+ Firmware

raz0red

I have tested all my games (PAL 50) and as far as the image is concerned everything is more than correct, I do not notice jerks in the image even with fast games like yars revenge; However @raz0red, I have noticed a problem that was also present in revision 1 of build 1.1, and that is that games that contain music at the beginning (in my case E.t., raider of the lost ark and q*bert,) do not show that music correctly, in all cases they omit the first notes.

Edited by AtariYMás009
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, AtariYMás009 said:

I have noticed a problem that was also present in revision 1 of build 1.1, and that is that games that contain music at the beginning (in my case E.t., raider of the lost ark and q*bert,) do not show that music correctly, in all cases they omit the first notes.

Just for clarification, they omit the initial notes after launch, but then play correctly after that?

Thanks a lot,

Chris.

14 minutes ago, AtariYMás009 said:

...games that contain music at the beginning (in my case E.t., raider of the lost ark and q*bert,) do not show that music correctly, in all cases they omit the first notes.

I think this is caused by the Stella emulator, because I get that same behavior (i.e. sometimes first music notes are missing) when running Stella on my PC. Maybe this is even correct emulation of a 2600?

I took 4 games off my problem list with this update (All NTSC):

1. Fall Down now works for 2 players

2. Journey Escape music plays correctly while the screen is busy

3. The Music Machine plays music correctly now

4. Time Pilot works

I put in Juno First and Medieval Mayhem and they played fine also.

50 minutes ago, Dionoid said:

I think this is caused by the Stella emulator, because I get that same behavior (i.e. sometimes first music notes are missing) when running Stella on my PC. Maybe this is even correct emulation of a 2600?

I think not, because it didn't happened when the games were displayed at 60Hz

12 minutes ago, Atari_Warlord said:

I took 4 games off my problem list with this update (All NTSC):

1. Fall Down now works for 2 players

2. Journey Escape music plays correctly while the screen is busy

3. The Music Machine plays music correctly now

4. Time Pilot works

I put in Juno First and Medieval Mayhem and they played fine also.

I can confirm Time Pilot 2600 NTSC finaly works (white cart)🤗

Fall Down PAL works now with 2 players🤙

And... Omicron works twinstick now🕹🕹

Conquest of Mars still fails to start, maybe not dumped correctly, which size should it be?

And Tac Scan NTSC works with paddle in port one (left)!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chad5200 said:

For Tac-Scan, the old manual says to use paddles in the Right port.  The classic 2600 only works with paddles in the the Right port.

However, this firmware build that @raz0red has shared needs the paddles to be in the Left port.

Stella 6.7 even mentions Left port by default:

image.thumb.png.d836c4f3122831645c8e3747d96ed727.png

I suppose I would prefer it if this firmware matched the old manual (or better yet if both Left and Right port worked) but I guess that is debatable.  It is kind of nice to just keep the paddles plugged into the Left port if you are in a "paddle game playing mood" where you are playing a bunch of paddles games.

Oh, this firmware finally uses Stella's build in properties? Great! Then the ports and paddles are swapped.

BTW: Is there another thread where this firmware was/is discussed?

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

3 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

I can report that H.E.R.O. performance is notably better, but still has the occasional stutter/tic when there's a lot going on on screen (multiple enemies + Miner). Not nearly as frequent as before and less noticeable. But in general is definitely better.

The PAL version of HERO runs with not stutter (at least the first 8 levels, didn't play far) and Galaga 7800 PAL runs with no stutter, if you move the ship left/right over full distance.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

I can confirm Time Pilot 2600 NTSC finaly works (white cart)🤗

Not for me. Even with repeated cleaning the game loads up with corrupted text at the top. When I start the game I get a solid white playfield and can hear that I'm moving the plane around, and hear my shots. But NOTHING registers as getting hit and I never seem to hit anything either. 

So at least for me... Time Pilot is still a no go with this release.

Wait! NM... this release is newer than what I was presented with the other day. This one in the posts does work for Time Pilot without issue. Now to check the game I was initially testing on the other FW.

• Sad 1

Here is some debug info for Hero2, NTSC, with 1.1x-r1 firmware installed:

IMG_9308.thumb.jpeg.71384f18b57d2bb545ccbbe03ca66f64.jpeg

My Hero 2 cartridge works just fine on my 7800:

IMG_9291.thumb.jpeg.84d3aaab142726f62816739193f91e3e.jpeg

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help get this game working. 

I appreciate all the hard work and thanks for this latest update, I’ll spend the rest of the day enjoying testing/playing through all my games!  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KainXavier said:

Here's Aardvark after it freezes:

Aardvark.thumb.jpg.e6399b4aed335758bcfeea84a16c77ee.jpg

With Juno First, I had a hard time even getting it to boot, but here's a photo of the debug text when it did:

JunoFirst.thumb.jpg.d6b7dbc0ece1629a2f43240cc6219c05.jpg

As for Maze Craze, it's gone back to failing to display 9 / 10 times.  I'm guessing my TV just doesn't support 720p at 50hz.  I doubt it'll help but here's a photo of when it did run:

MazeCraze.thumb.jpg.c15f4685bdbc7c998be680af2a26b0b0.jpg

Lastly, I can't get Zippy the Porcupine to display at all but that was the case even with the Rev 2 beta.

I hope that helps!

P.S.: Dungeon II and T:ME Salvo seemed to work just fine.  (I already had them on-hand.)

Edit: Just to be clear, the version of Maze Craze I'm running is the one included in the NTSC release of the 10 Games In 1 cartridge.

Did your Juno First ever work on the 2600+?

Mine worked only once when I moved the cart in the slot long time ago.

The debug load shows that only the half of the rom is dumped as in your case.

I can use my iPad as a screen now. Yay!

There's still some flicker with sprites (a bit more than I get when using the TV), but it's usable and the sprites aren't disappearing. The slight extra flickering is probably not due to any issue with the 2600+ itself, more to do with the way the HDMI video output is being converted to a USB-C input for the iPad, so I wouldn't expect this to be addressed in any way, it's just a great little bonus to be able to plug into my iPad for a quick gaming session occasionally.

I'm very happy with this!

• Like 1