IGNORED

New "untested" 5200

Celotine

Just got a 5200 with 2 controllers. Waiting on a power supply to test it out. Any common faults I'm looking for? Any refurbishments I need to do or mods I should get?

This now completes my Atari console collection. And is number 52 in my overall collection. Maybe I'll start on the computers at some point.

PXL_20240229_174225185.jpg

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Celotine said:

Just got a 5200 with 2 controllers. Waiting on a power supply to test it out. Any common faults I'm looking for? Any refurbishments I need to do or mods I should get?

The controllers are probably semi-functional at best; the mylars lose conductivity over time.  The replacements from atarirepairparts.com are recommended - I have them in three of my four controllers (the other one having a Best Electronics mylar) and they're excellent.  Good price point, too.

The 4013 that controls the power switch can flake out.  Fortunately, they're cheap and easy to replace.  Installing a UAV for composite and S-Video output is recommended.  The Atari 5200 Ultimate SD cartridge from atarimax.com is well worth picking up.

For anything else, wait and see what sort of state the machine is in when you power it up.  I would advise against a recap unless necessary, but there are a couple of improvements to be made elsewhere - again, though, only if really needed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

The controllers are probably semi-functional at best; the mylars lose conductivity over time.  The replacements from atarirepairparts.com are recommended - I have them in three of my four controllers (the other one having a Best Electronics mylar) and they're excellent.  Good price point, too.

The 4013 that controls the power switch can flake out.  Fortunately, they're cheap and easy to replace.  Installing a UAV for composite and S-Video output is recommended.  The Atari 5200 Ultimate SD cartridge from atarimax.com is well worth picking up.

For anything else, wait and see what sort of state the machine is in when you power it up.  I would advise against a recap unless necessary, but there are a couple of improvements to be made elsewhere - again, though, only if really needed.

@Celotine There are pretty much only 3 electrolytics that might need to be replaced in the 5200. The main power filter cap, and the two polystyrene caps for the audio. The rest are ceramic disc type and don't usually go bad. Aside from the controllers, there isn't much else to worry about. If you do find it in good working order and want to improve the video/audio output, then use the UAV is recommended. If you wanted to get the best output and spend more money, then you could look at possible going with a Sophia II upgrade to get you VGA, RGB, or YPbPr component output from the 5200. It is also possible to use the RGB to HDMI setup that I've seen some messing with but I've not ventured down that path myself as my 5200 with the s-video output has been enough for me through my setup in the game room.

Also your picture shows the true color of the 5200. I've surprised a few folks in the past that always thought the 5200 was black with the silver trim plate. it is actually more of a chocolate brown when light is shown on it. I do wish is had been made to actually be black.

• Like 2

Another risk of "untested" 5200s is oxidation in the control prongs in the actual unit. This can also affect the controller. Usually Deoxit contact cleaner solves this.

Think of your 5200 like being in a relationship with an attractive and fantastic person who has issues. If you can work through the issues, the relationship is well worth it. LOL 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, amidarman said:

Looks like your system is a 2-port board in a 4-port shell.

That is how they are, but his is missing the front trim piece, which would cover those 2 middle openings.

On 3/1/2024 at 12:05 PM, Flyindrew said:

Think of your 5200 like being in a relationship with an attractive and fantastic person who has issues. If you can work through the issues, the relationship is well worth it. LOL 

Kinda like being with me (and I'll be the first to admit it) :) 

On 3/1/2024 at 8:08 AM, x=usr(1536) said:

I would advise against a recap unless necessary, but there are a couple of improvements to be made elsewhere - again, though, only if really needed.

Best advice ever.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2024 at 11:01 AM, -^CrossBow^- said:

Also your picture shows the true color of the 5200. I've surprised a few folks in the past that always thought the 5200 was black with the silver trim plate. it is actually more of a chocolate brown when light is shown on it. I do wish is had been made to actually be black.

Not me.  The world has more black plastic crap electronics than it could ever need.  I'm glad they chose the Chocolate brown.  Nothing screams generic like a black plastic case.

On 3/1/2024 at 3:05 PM, Flyindrew said:

Usually Deoxit contact cleaner solves this.

I would be very careful with Dexoit on the outside of the case.  Perhaps take it apart first and remove the MB from the case and then hose it a little.

I've had VERY bad luck with Deoxit and plastic.  Stains plastics very easily. I've never used Deoxit on an Atari, so I don't know if it stains Atari's plastic.  It's kind of hit and miss. It stains 1 plastic but not some other plastic.

On 3/1/2024 at 3:05 PM, Flyindrew said:

Trust me, it's really not!  Never get into a bed with crazy (or "issues")!  Crazy will win.  They have a fanaticism you don't have.  When you have absolutely reached the end of your rope and cannot deal with it another day, they have not even started the warm up.

• Like 1