IGNORED

Oh the joy of playing Miner 2049er for the 5200 with a good old CX40.

bigfriendly

First time I've played this game since 1984 or maybe 85. It really is a dream come true when compared to the original non centering hack 5200 controllers. This Altirra emulator is really cool. Now if I can just figure out how to set the controls for Star Raiders I'll be set.

Miner 2049er .jpg

Edited by bigfriendly
  • Like 3

Yeah I'm usually of the opinion the 5200 controllers are actually great, but some games not so much. Miner is one of those. The drawback to using a regular 2600 stick is the levels with the teleports where you need to press a number on the keypad. I find it extremely difficult to look away to press the "2" and not loose footing or get otherwise killed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jetset said:

Yeah I'm usually of the opinion the 5200 controllers are actually great, but some games not so much. Miner is one of those. The drawback to using a regular 2600 stick is the levels with the teleports where you need to press a number on the keypad. I find it extremely difficult to look away to press the "2" and not loose footing or get otherwise killed.

I mapped the elevators to the numbers pad 1-4 keys on my laptop and it works perfectly for me. Because of the centering of the controller Bounty Bob stands perfectly still while I select the floor I want to teleport too.

• Like 1

I agree.  Playing it with a 2600 stick is great.  But back in the day, I didn't really have much trouble playing with the 5200 controller.  I adapted pretty well, and was able to get through all the boards.  Though, the one with all the tiny platforms in it, was always pretty hard.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rockymin said:

I agree.  Playing it with a 2600 stick is great.  But back in the day, I didn't really have much trouble playing with the 5200 controller.  I adapted pretty well, and was able to get through all the boards.  Though, the one with all the tiny platforms in it, was always pretty hard.

BITD I used to be able to complete all 10 levels with the CX40 stick.

Nowadays I don't seem to be able to get past the radioactive waste tank level :(

• Like 1

…and you can get REDEMPTION 5200 from one of the guys here on AtariAge from Nimbleswitch for either 2600/Sega or 7800 controllers (two separate versions, one for each, sold separately) and that’ll solve the whole problem right there. I have both.

I also DO ALREADY own the Retro Game Boyz controller as well if I feel a console-based controller system is in the necessity category (better leverage on the fire buttons or easier access to the onboard keypad).

Sometimes I’ll use the 5200 controller other times either a CX40 or a CX78 Europad or CX24 ProLine (Painline) controller if twin fire buttons are essential.