IGNORED

What was the next computer or console you bought after the ST?

What did you buy after your ST?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What was the next computer or console you bought after your Atari system?

• 386 or lower PC
    • 486 PC
    • Pentium PC
    • Macintosh
    • 68000 Amiga (eg A500)
    • 68020 or higher Amiga (eg A1200)
    • Megadrive / Genesis
    • SNES
    • Playstation
    • Other (please say)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Megalomaniac said:

I'm just curious as to where people went next.

Can only select one item, I bought many of the above, would be useful to allow multiple selections.

i.e. PC for work, consoles for games :)

Edited by TGB1718

Brought a SNES basically for Streetfighter II, as it was the first game my STFM couldn't do successfully well (or at least the US Gold version wasn't great!). That said my ST was still used for a lot of my games for years after that, as a lot of the games I liked were on there (and this is still the case) and was still being used after I had got bored of the SNES and moved onto the Jag, Saturn and N64.

I built a 386SX 16mhz clone pc from used parts in 1995.  I can't remember the exact specs, but it did have vga graphics, mfm hard disk and two floppy drives (3.5 and 5.25).  I wanted to play ms-dos Doom I.   That system would run Doom in a mediocre way.  At first, the only sound I had was from the pc speaker.  Harsh squawks, but Doom did make noise without a sound card.   My 386 pc was fine for BBS and early dial-up internet.  It would run Windows 3.1 well enough, but most games ran best with just dos.  Less than a year later, I was shopping for 486DX cpu and motherboard.  Prices were dropping fast, as the pc gained traction.  So yeah, 1040STFM to pc clones.  I did keep the ST on a desk next to the pc for a long time.  I wonder how many people migrated to the pc world as a direct result of idsoftware releasing Doom?

An Escom P75 with 540MB HDD and a 14.4Kbaud modem.  Overclocked, it was surprisingly stable at 120MhZ.  Bought it as a unit since it was a) on clearance for about what it would cost to build one from scratch and b) only one box had to be shipped to the University accommodation I was living in at that time, where anything left in the open was considered fair game.

• Like 1

Looks like most people went straight to PCs. I was wondering if people would have 'tag-teamed' their ST (for serious stuff) with a SNES or Megadrive (for action games), or might have considered the advances of the A1200 to be enough temptation to swap sides, given that the amount of ST games was declining by then (though 1993 still had a few gems, especially on the 'serious' games side).

Or, maybe the people who didn't go straight to PCs are busier on SNES / Megadrive / Amiga forums than ST ones?

2 hours ago, RodLightning said:

I wonder how many people migrated to the pc world as a direct result of idsoftware releasing Doom?

I debated getting a PC for several years, but Doom was definitely the "No more excuses, time to get a PC" moment. 

My Atari STE 1MB + SM124 was bought used from a friend in September 1994, who had moved to the Sega Megadrive in early 1992. I used that STE purely for pro music with Steinberg Cubase and later upgraded it with 4MB and more MIDI ports.  I moved from that to a desktop PC donated by my uncle in June 2000, which was an old PC Chips M571 v3.2(A) board with a Cyrix 6x86 P166+ 166MHz (running at stock speed of 133MHz). Terrible machine for gaming unless really old DOS titles were installed. It did not have AGP and relied upon PCI graphics cards, or worse the onboard GPU using shared memory.

my way was 800 XL -> 1040 ST --> Falcon 030 --> PC

9 hours ago, Megalomaniac said:

I'm just curious as to where people went next.

partially in 1999

3 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

Oh, I did keep my Atari's though...   :)

same with me, my /|\ are in the shelf behind me

Edited by Cyprian

When I started University in 91, we were told to get PCs as we would learn x86 assembly. I tried for a few weeks to use my old 520STF with PC-Ditto but it was too much for the poor old STG. So I finally got a 386DX25😞and the Atari was given to my sister’s boyfriend. 😭😭😭

Early 90's ordered a 486 DX33 with 8mb of memory and monitor from a builder that advertised in Computer shopper.  I specified a SCSI hard drive, 256mb, since I was familiar with SCSI from the Atari.  It also had a 3.5" and 5.25" floppy drive.  I don't remember what sound card it had.  Added a SCSI CD drive after a few months.  I also remember standing in line on the day Windows 95 came out to upgrade the OS (same with Win98). 

Since then I've scratch built most of my subsequent computers.

pc stuff kept getting better and better, and as had happened with 8bit, software seemed to dry up long before mac or amiga. all the bbs guys I knew had moved to pc stuff, so I eventually went pc. got a DX4 100 VLB system, 3 1/2 flop,scsi 380Mb fullheight micropolis, 250 colorado tape drive , teac 4x cd , acer magic s20 sound card. Eventually got a soundblaster awe32 , as the acer controlled the cd and it would drop to stupid slow on american laser games cd titles. It had 4 or 16Mb memory. Honestly cant remember. was running 6.22 and win 3.1 for a while before 95 came out. I got the 15" monitor as the 13 and 14 were very common, but I wanted a little more . It was driven by a trident 68x or 69x series card with a meg. We had the same vid memory chips at work so I upgraded to 2 Mb I could go to 1600 with pretty good color on it

15 hours ago, Shredder11 said:

which was an old PC Chips M571 v3.2(A) board with a Cyrix 6x86 P166+ 166MHz (running at stock speed of 133MHz). Terrible machine for gaming unless really old DOS titles were installed. It did not have AGP and relied upon PCI graphics cards, or worse the onboard GPU using shared memory.

Ah a classic motherboard from a fine maker (joke!). I have one here myself, well two in fact, although one has lived up to the PC Chips reputation for quality and died. The inbuilt graphics were awful as well, but at least it could run Doom well!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Zogging Hell said:

Brought a SNES basically for Streetfighter II, as it was the first game my STFM couldn't do successfully well (or at least the US Gold version wasn't great!). That said my ST was still used for a lot of my games for years after that, as a lot of the games I liked were on there (and this is still the case) and was still being used after I had got bored of the SNES and moved onto the Jag, Saturn and N64.

I should probably qualify this slightly by saying I followed the Atari line though to the end with a Clab Falcon in c. 96 and then a Milan computer in 98. So basically my computers/ consoles split in two with Atari for the serious stuff and older gaming and the consoles taking over for modern gaming. Didn't get a PC until 2002/3, with a shocking socket 370 pre-built with a Cyrix 533mhz CPU and onboard graphics and then a suprisingly better Compaq Armada Pentium 233mhz laptop. I was still using the Atari's for 'serious' stuff, mainly report writing and music, until the late noughties, mainly because they didn't have the internet (well not in a everyday use way) and I could concentrate better without it, and I still wrote sections of text for academic stuff even a few years ago.

I had to make the break into PC's around 1992, initially a 386, as I had just left the RAF and was dipping my toe into bespoke software which

meant using a PC with Borland C. Thanks to using C on my ST it was quite a painless move, still have my original 520STM (working).

I still used my ST and even bought an STE some time later

I bought an Atari ST from a quadriplegic man living in a trailer park outside Tampa in 2013 and the next computer I bought with my own money was the M1 Mac Mini in 2020. My only other computer, a gift, was  a 2008 iMac I got for Christmas.

• Like 2

Being a Spectre GCR user, I had already amassed a significant amount of Macintosh software and knowledge, so I purchased a Macintosh LC II.

As a 68000 programmer, I was very excited to have both the 68030 and the more sophisticated Mac OS (which was called System 7 at the time).

Very good question!

After ST (also used as a Mac with Aladin)

STe with 4MB

Atari Falcon030 with lots of add-ons (played Doom at friends PCs)

~1999. Macintosh PowerBook (to expensive to expands and Mac OS 7 was not so great, although MagiCMac was!)

~2000. PC K6-2 ... Athlons (skipped Windows 9x trash and go straight to Windows 2000)

~2006. 24" x86 iMac and since then only Macs (MacOS X is great)... and Atari till today :)

Edited by calimero