IGNORED

Breath of Thunder - A turn based JRPG - Kickstarter campaign

If anyone is interested in helping, he plans to release the game for the ATARI VCS

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/silverfallsmini/breath-of-thunder-a-jrpg-on-modern-and-legacy-consoles

From Kickstarter:

WELCOME to the world of Breath of Thunder!

cb832d3a3c606b6407c46ccbea1bd2a9_origina

Travel back in time to when the world was not so complicated, when RPGs were created with only three things in mind; adventure, fun, and creativity. Breath of Thunder has channeled the magic of the Golden Age of RPGs from the 90s to combine classic design philosophy with modern game sensibilities.

84e70317b9d3f74b8b3008cc65fd7284_origina

MORE than just creating a vibrant adventure full of magic and fun on modern consoles, Breath of Thunder will even launch on those old legacy game consoles which you hold so dear to your heart... But it can only happen with YOUR help.

WHAT

b5dc97499cf17e82b7f5df013308a3c8_origina

Breath of Thunder is a turn based JRPG created specifically for people who long for a classic RPG experience free of modern complications. There is no obtuse, convoluted storyline, no buttonmashy battle system, and no boring, pointless filler content. Breath of Thunder will remind us all what made us fall in love with this genre in the first place; interesting characters we care about, engaging storylines, vibrant worlds full of fascinating lore, and beautiful music.

68e508b1cdb1e504b1a6d9f7694d45e9_origina

There is a world of magic out there, beyond sight and time, that we all explored when we were growing up playing games on our favorite old consoles. It was a world of wonder, where anything was possible and the universe was boundless. Modern AAA game studios have lost sight of that world and seem to have entirely lost interest in that magic, but us gamers have not forgotten. Let Breath of Thunder be your bridge back to that world of wonder and adventure.

a10ebdbfc6f5c6597942f64700507872_origina

Breath of Thunder features a unique visual aesthetic hand-crafted to tap into that old magic that captured our hearts in the 90s, while bringing something new and unique to RPG fans around the world. The soundtrack uses genuine soundfonts from the Super Nintendo hardware, blending in seamlessly with franchises such as Final Fantasy, Breath of Fire, Dragon Quest (or Warrior if you roll that way), and Secret of Mana.

87a4674d18c2ac88bbe214c6ee9b21b5_origina

STORY

THIS is a world of adventure, freedom, and magic, inhabited by colorful, quirky people. From the powerful Wyvern clan to the stoic, armored Scorpion clan, this is a whole world just calling out to you to find adventure.

4903fff5470bb42d02d53bc72aa8ea81_origina

BUT, the world was not always this peaceful. 50 years ago, the terrifying Chimera clan began to absorb the life force of the other clans, seeking to become more powerful and rule the world. Warriors from the the other clans banded together to defeat the Chimeras and strip away their power. The Chimera were sealed away and their power was scattered across the planet.

YET SOMEHOW one member of the Chimera clan has returned! A Chimera zealot named Calcite has awakened and is abducting people from all the clans around the world. Not only that, he is absorbing the life force from those clans in order to revive the Chimera clan.

IT'S UP TO YOU now to save the world! Set out on an incredible journey across the world, find unique friends, build your ragtag party, and seize your adventure with your own hands!

a36f2c6b2bba2a1728b6f3809d25c7c5_origina

WHO

Breath of Thunder is being developed by Jerrel Dulay, owner of Sungrand Studios and developer of the very final games to officially launch on the Nintendo Wii U and 3DS.

78c1edc26a86dbd7aab66d1b0ef18482_origina

Having solo developed and shipped 9 commercial titles in the Silver Falls series across Nintendo consoles and even more titles on Homebrew based platforms, Jerrel now aims his skills and experience toward bringing some magic back to the consoles he grew up with. Jerrel has developed for the GameBoy, Nintendo DS, GameBoy Advance, PSP, PS Vita, 3DS, Wii U, and Switch.

b89d9ab3b4065d7eaed748917d44ba98_origina

WITH YOUR HELP, we can bring Breath of Thunder to life. The game will launch digitally on modern consoles including but not limited to

• Nintendo Switch
  • Steam/PC
  • Atari VCS
  • Playdate
  • Playstation Vita (via free ROM for homebrew)
ee064290343e074bea9ccee679233444_origina

If we meet our stretch goals, we will create and launch versions of the game on legacy game consoles including

• Nintendo DS
  • Sony PSP
  • Atari Jaguar
  • Dreamcast
  • Sega Saturn
  • GameBoy Color
  • GameBoy Advance
  • Nintendo Virtual Boy

image.png

• Like 1

I just asked him that question before I considered anything : "If I understand correctly, with the Warrior Pack, we will receive 1 digital copy of the game (in advance if applicable per platform). Can you confirm that you will be able to do this on Atari VCS? Did you see that with David Paige from Atari? Are you an Atari validated developer?"

Edited by RadiATIon

The answer: "Hello, thank you for the message. Yes I am a registered developer with Atari and am in direct contact with David Paige. I actually have two titles which are finishing development this month that will come to the Atari VCS first.".

I know that developer actually released games but I would strongly advised against backing that campaign. I have seen more solid campaigns fail. I'm not saying it's a scam and that the developer is willingly trying to deceive people, but I don't see how this could end well...

• Like 1

On 3/6/2024 at 6:17 PM, roots.genoa said:

I know that developer actually released games but I would strongly advised against backing that campaign. I have seen more solid campaigns fail. I'm not saying it's a scam and that the developer is willingly trying to deceive people, but I don't see how this could end well...

Why do you have this impression? Could you explain your reasons better so we can understand your point of view?

image.png

8 hours ago, ramices said:

Why do you have this impression? Could you explain your reasons better so we can understand your point of view?

image.png

I run a retrogaming website so I've seen quite a lot of crowdfunding campaigns, backed a lot of them (some succeeded, some failed). Basically I think the project is far too ambitious, and doesn't seem to be ready enough for crowdfunding imho. It's mostly my intuition, though, but I'm apparently not alone on this:

https://www.timeextension.com/news/2024/03/jrpg-breath-of-thunder-unlikely-to-get-funded-so-heres-mighty-no-9-instead

And if he can create a level for Mighty No.9 in six hours, maybe he can develop a lot more of the game before launching the campaign.

Edited by roots.genoa
  • Confused 1

Oh and by the way I actually downloaded a demo of one of his games on the 3DS; it was visually really nice but as a game, it was really clunky, more like a tech demo. He may be a good programmer but it's not enough to produce a compelling video game. Also, does he have any experience in producing games for the Jaguar, the Saturn, the Virtual Boy??? These systems are not trivial to develop for. I'm aware they're tethered to very high stretch goals, but that makes it looks like the developer doesn't even want to reach them.