IGNORED

WIP: FujiNet Users Guide

Hello all.

I've finally started on a User's Guide for the ATARI FujiNet.

It's being written in DocBook, which is a standard for publishing technical books, articles, etc. Its big advantages are that it separates content from style, but it also has a good deal of tags to provide semantic context (such as marking up commands, screen shots, call-outs, etc.) 

The current style-sheet is being based on the type setting used by Atari for its more technical software products, such as "Telelink I" and "Music Composer" where the Optima font face is used as the primary font, and the highlight color is a light blue.

The documentation, like everything else in FujiNet is being developed publicly, and is available in GitHub:

https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-manuals in the fujinet_for_atari_users folder.

The main DocBook file is: https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-manuals/blob/main/fujinet_for_atari_users/fujinet_for_atari_users.dbk

I am using a combination of emacs, and XMLMind DocBook Editor to compose the material:

http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/docbook_editor.html

image.thumb.png.e109e47b3f8a7bdfb14092daa9e8c29f.png

While there is preliminary styling in place, this isn't being actively changed at the moment, as content floods in. Once content is stable, we can start thinking about refining the style sheets, not just for PDF, but for HTML and EPUB as well.

I will periodically attach a render of content, as a PDF, as we go along.

Any and all help would be appreciated, as this is a very important undertaking.

Some snips of pages:

image.thumb.png.dcc600899627e5fe6f1dcf5eb81d235b.pngimage.thumb.png.924195c850e1286f09b99393f8b16a56.pngimage.thumb.png.799d5831aafae34d7560b56f398048eb.pngimage.thumb.png.6d65ef378f1e1d852893d5bfe795324c.pngimage.thumb.png.74091de36672baccf1c92f6c6d5afe99.pngimage.thumb.png.18004f17e013fd660e38d1c00920d5f9.png

I also recorded a video showing the process, here:

-Thom

fujinet_for_atari_users.pdf

Edited by tschak909
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Allan said:

I love the use of the 400/800 style. Looks fantastic.

Thanks, any images at the moment, are placeholders, which will be re-drawn to match. (especially because as is, the images are far too dark to print well)

-Thom

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Part of the reason for writing the #Atari8bit #FujiNet Users Guide, is to formally document the correct behavior of commands. NCD is a complex command, with a lot of expected implicit behavior. It doesn't quite work like this, but it will someday. #retrocomputing

ncd-1.thumb.png.ba7a9c7f4504e65567968d9f4fda02f8.pngncd-2.thumb.png.22c8d2936c161b614d4a9ae9265e016c.pngncd-3.thumb.png.78690ebb31dce1de841f8b4552605e6f.png

• Like 3

@tschak909: Thom, when you have a moment, can you please look at the following thread:

AFAIK, no howto was done for building fujinet-pc.  Hopefully this is useful; feel free to use any parts of it that might be.  It (very obviously) wasn't written specifically for inclusion in documentation, but may serve as an outline or similar.  I'd also love for people to try it out and see where the strong and weak points are.

I'll be doing one for MacOS at some point (hopefully) soon.  Someone else will have to handle the Windows side :) 

• Thanks 1

For anyone who hacks in MAD Pascal, could you please help me, and take the PASCAL section in part 2, and convert the example programs to build in MAD Pascal? (Optionally cut and paste and adjust the content in the other parts to match?) it's intended to be a Rosetta Stone to show the same examples and pattern for every language.

-Thom