IGNORED

Home Run Baseball

This game was designed to be similar to Home Run for the 2600.  It's not exactly the same but it's pretty close.  Why clone a game that was mostly unloved?  I played the two player version of this game so much with my Dad as a kid and we loved it.  So much fun, so many memories.  It makes me smile just seeing it on the screen.

I haven't played it enough to make sure everything is perfect, and I know the sound effects need work, but the game is perfectly playable as it is now.  You can play against the computer or start a 2 player game. 

This was a fun side project I started a few weeks ago as I was also finishing up with Drone Patrol.   I may work on this some more as time goes on but I thought it would be fun to share it in its current state. 

v0.2 Fixes the reversed joystick controls in the 2 player game.

home_run_baseball_v0.2.a78home_run_baseball_v0.2.bin

home_run_baseball_v0.1.a78 home_run_baseball_v0.1.bin

homerun_baseball2.png

homerun_baseball1.png

• Like 11

Thanks Guys.  This game could be improved and expanded in many different directions, I'm going to have to think about what I might want to do with it.  Maybe nothing, I'll just have to wait for some inspiration.  I'm going to go ahead and share the source code and graphics for this game as the goal with this one was just to have fun and share the results. :)

gfx_homerun.zip home_run_baseball_v0.1.bas

• Like 3

I love baseball. :)

Last summer I started writing another game based on baseball dice.  I made some good progress, but the game logic is broken.  This game does not work as intended.  I thought I'd share it anyway as maybe sharing it will inspire me to continue to work on it. 

This game is really rather pointless in that you just press the button to roll the dice and see what happens.  The screen is intended to simply display what you would otherwise have just written down on paper if you were playing an actual game of baseball dice.   It was a fun project that I just never completed.

Baseball Dice Rules:

Spoiler

To Start:  The Visiting Team rolls one dice to see what the first pitch is to start the game.

The pitching team then rolls one dice to see what pitch is going to be thrown:
    1. STRIKE 2. BALL 3. STRIKE 4. BALL 5. STRIKE 6. BALL

If the pitch is a strike, the batting team then rolls two dice:

1/1: DOUBLE (RUNNERS ADVANCE 2 BASES)
    1/2: GROUND OUT (DOUBLE PLAY)
    1/3: HIT BY PITCH
    1/4: SINGLE (RUNNERS ADVANCE 1 BASE)
    1/5: GROUND OUT (DOUBLE PLAY)
    1/6: STRIKE (STRIKEOUT)
    2/2: DOUBLE (RUNNERS ADVANCE 3 BASES)
    2/3: POP OUT 
    2/4: SINGLE (RUNNERS ADVANCE 2 BASES)
    2/5: STRIKE (STRIKEOUT)
    2/6: GROUND OUT
    3/3: TRIPLE
    3/4: STRIKE (STRIKEOUT)
    3/5: GROUND OUT (FIELDER’S CHOICE)
    3/6: FLY OUT
    4/4: ERROR (RUNNER’S ADVANCE 1 BASE)
    4/5: FLY OUT
    4/6: FLY OUT (RBI IF RUNNER ON THIRD)
    5/5: SINGLE (RUNNER’S ADVANCE 1 BASE)
    5/6: POP OUT
    6/6: HOME RUN

The conditions contained in (parenthesis) may or may not apply depending on the runners currently on base.

For a fielder's choice, the batter is out and the runners advance one base.

Just like in baseball, you play until three outs are recorded in an inning, and move the players around the bases based on hits rolled.

There is no bunting or stealing, only hits can move the players.

There are strikeouts, watch your count and try to strike out batters.

baseball_dice2.png

baseball_dice1.png

baseball_dice_v0.1.a78 baseball_dice_v0.1.bin gfx_bbdice.zip baseball_dice_v0.1.bas

• Like 3

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Home Run Baseball & Baseball Dice on tomorrow's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch! Hope you can join us!

Games:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Atarius Maximus said:

Thanks James, but keep in mind that Baseball Dice really isn’t a game yet… you press the fire button, watch the dice roll results, and then see the incorrect results on the screen. That’s about it. :)

It"ll be fun to check out the concept you're going for! 🙂 It's a good pairing to go with your other baseball game, even if it's just a quick look at it.

- ;James

10 minutes ago, saxmeister said:

@Atarius Maximus I was a HUGE fan of "Home Run." I would always play the variation where you could control the ball after it was thrown and would use that curve ball to strike everyone out.

This is excellent!

Thank you!  That was my favorite variation too.  I didn't create any variations in this version of the game.  I just chose the options I liked best, including the pitch that you can control. :)

• Like 1

Watching Home Run Baseball on ZPH, it was obvious pretty quick that I had the joystick controls reversed for defense on the 2 Player game.  This fixes that.  I'd never played on real hardware, and playing with A7800 in emulation it didn't occur to me that it was reversed.

home_run_baseball_v0.2.a78 home_run_baseball_v0.2.bin

• Like 2

This is great. A few things I noticed:

• Switch Sides goes away too quickly when switching from outfield to infield - probably needs a timer or a debounce on it
  • Pitching probably needs a debounce as well because I always find myself pitching again before I expect it
  • I just want more! 😁
  • Like 1