IGNORED

Colecovision recharged BASIC compiler: CVBasic v0.4.0 (now with compression and MSX support!)

18 hours ago, Jess Ragan said:

I saw the ASCII Fred Flintstone elsewhere. So is this gonna be the first game published with CV Basic?

Yes, I think this is the first CVBasic program not made by myself. I'm glad to see new original games.

16 hours ago, nanochess said:

Yes, I think this is the first CVBasic program not made by myself. I'm glad to see new original games.

I could see it cool to do a CVBasic contest/game jam to help kick things off and generate some new games once you feel it is stable/ready for a push like that!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, bhall408 said:

I could see it cool to do a CVBasic contest/game jam to help kick things off and generate some new games once you feel it is stable/ready for a push like that!

Yep, a contest is something that I would like to run, but we need to wait a little for people to learn to grasp the power of Greyskull... I mean, CVBasic :grin:

In other news, I've optimized nicely the access to arrays with constant indexes, DATA can now use constant expressions, and you can make tables of addresses using DATA VARPTR.

I intend to add a pair of features more before releasing this for v0.5.0, but currently v0.4.2 is pretty stable.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Jess Ragan said:

Too bad we don't have Random Terrain to crank out a glossary of commands, like he did for Batari BASIC.

The included manual.txt contains all the CVBasic statements and functions.

It's been fifteen years since I've done BASIC stuff, so bear with me. This has been pretty painless as BASICs go (THANK YOU for including the errors during a compile attempt, including the line numbers!). However, PRINT isn't as versatile as I'd like it to be. Normally, if I wanted to connect text and variables, I'd do something like this:

PRINT "You have "; guess; "guesses left."

This throws an error in CV Basic. I can't use semi-colons as connective tissue in a PRINT statement? That's something I've been doing since the VIC-20 days. What do I do instead?

test_hilo.bas

1 hour ago, Jess Ragan said:

It's been fifteen years since I've done BASIC stuff, so bear with me. This has been pretty painless as BASICs go (THANK YOU for including the errors during a compile attempt, including the line numbers!). However, PRINT isn't as versatile as I'd like it to be. Normally, if I wanted to connect text and variables, I'd do something like this:

PRINT "You have "; guess; "guesses left."

This throws an error in CV Basic. I can't use semi-colons as connective tissue in a PRINT statement? That's something I've been doing since the VIC-20 days. What do I do instead?

test_hilo.bas 2.15 kB · 0 downloads

Use comma instead of semicolons.

We're making progress. The game compiles and executes, but I can't force a carriage return... text gets crammed together. ASCII command /10, /11, and /13 do nothing to force the cursor downward. What would you suggest?

EDIT: This might be a me problem. I was entering the wrong code for the ASM conversion program. Will return to the code shortly to experiment!

Edited by Jess Ragan

2 hours ago, Jess Ragan said:

We're making progress. The game compiles and executes, but I can't force a carriage return... text gets crammed together. ASCII command /10, /11, and /13 do nothing to force the cursor downward. What would you suggest?

EDIT: This might be a me problem. I was entering the wrong code for the ASM conversion program. Will return to the code shortly to experiment!

There is no automatic carriage return. You need to do PRINT AT to setup the position in the next row.

Hm, so I see. PRINT AT it is, then!

So here it is, folks... the worst ColecoVision game ever made. Sorry, Gust Buster, you just lost your spot. It's a simple game of HI/LO... first, the CPU tells you to press a key on the keypad. Let's just say he's shaking up a pair of dice. After pressing a key, he'll ask you what number he's thinking of, and you respond by pressing a key on your keypad. If your number is lower or higher than his, he'll ask you to guess again. If your number is the same (and you're bound to get it eventually), he'll let you know how well you did or did not do. Then the border spazzes out until you press reset. (There's a DO... LOOP at the end, but it's not catching input from the player. There's probably some reason for that which I have yet to determine.)

I had a lot more fun writing this than you will playing it.

test_hilo.rom

• Like 3

I feel like doing a marketing campaign for this crappy game. Make one of those ColecoVision box covers, except there's an arcade cabinet covered with cobwebs, and there's a big red starburst in the corner that reads "SUCKS TITANIC ASS, JUST LIKE THE ARCADE GAME!" Maybe release it under the Caruso Games banner. "When you think kusou, think Caruso!"

On 4/6/2024 at 5:26 AM, drfloyd said:

A book, in a Week ?????

😲

Any news about a RANDOMSEED command ? (I need that for my future procedural game)

Currently, you can use this to set the internal LFSR:

asm ld hl,5    ; set this to the constant you need

asm ld (lfsr),hl

• Like 1