IGNORED

New product for Intellivision Flashback owners (Use your classic INTV controllers on Ultimate/Flashback systems)

Nice work, but I was confused for a bit. 

The thread here says to use your original controllers on to the Flashback, but my original controllers are inline (from the original 2609 console), so they won't work on these adapters. 

1 hour ago, fdr4prez said:

so they won't work on these adapters. 

yea original implying original ones that were themselves removable.. an important distinction I didn't make.  :) 

However, in time I'd like to make an enclosure that would effectively make those inline controllers have a female db9 end..   

I'm working on an adapter kit for the Odyssey 2 soon and after that likely give the intellivision a look.  I know over at Cote Gamers they have a db9 adapter kit for the 2609 so I'm not touching that, but i'm not sure if anyone made an enclosure system for controllers that are now orphaned from that mod..  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 8bitwidgets.com said:

I'm working on an adapter kit for the Odyssey 2 soon and after that likely give the intellivision a look.  I know over at Cote Gamers they have a db9 adapter kit for the 2609 so I'm not touching that, but i'm not sure if anyone made an enclosure system for controllers that are now orphaned from that mod..  

Their mod will not orphan anything. 

It is an add-on and the original controllers remain connected and usable at the same time as adding a db9 port for using their controller. 

iirc, they've not released it, yet, but I've not checked recently. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fdr4prez said:

It is an add-on and the original controllers remain connected

Ah that's great to hear!  That's a much better idea for sure. 

Yea I think it's available to buy now.  for awhile it said not in stock, but recently I saw it looked like you could order them on the site.  

Also that's good to hear because what I could do then (without competing with someone else's product) is make an enclosure that would allow 2609 owners to remove their controllers from the 2609 and give it a female db9 end..  I'll put that on my list of future stuff.  I like the idea of freeing wired controllers so they could be plugged into any other system.

6 hours ago, fdr4prez said:

iirc, they've not released it, yet, but I've not checked recently. 

I bought one with my original order of two Longplay controllers.

I haven't used it yet as my main system is a Sears Video Arcade.

• Like 1

One thing I will mention about the Cote Gamers solution is that it will only be usable on original 2609 models of the console. It wouldn't work on the Super Pro and I suspect the INTV III variants because the controller connector pins on those consoles go straight down and not to the side as they did on the earlier models. So I'm not sure their PCB would fit in that orientation properly.

Not sure they have them available to buy, but RetroGameBoyz also has an adapter that they were working on for this. Basically it was a y harness like cable. You plug the new cable into the pins on the main board where the original controllers was. Then on the other end of the cable that comes out of the console, you have 2 connections. Another set of the pin headers so that you can plug the originals into that to still be used, and a 9pin so you can plug in removable controllers or .. RetroGameBoyz own Intellivision controllers they sell.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

It wouldn't work on the Super Pro and I suspect the INTV III variants because the controller connector pins on those consoles go straight down and not to the side as they did on the earlier models.

interesting.  yea it's tough to support all of the later variations given how rare they are in the first place.. then the dev needs to own the hardware themselves to test against..    my FB2INTV compact version i'm pretty sure won't work with INTV 2 because of the deep recesses it has but the wired one will be fine because it is narrow enough to get down into the socket even though it's not form fitted.  I'd love to put some kind of narrow extension to the FB2INTV adapter but i don't see any turnkey solutions and making something will be a bit laborious and likely prone to failure for such an inexpensive item.  Extension cord solves it and frankly solves the other problem of how I can't imagine many people really like being forced to stay like 2'-3' from the INTVII anyway.. let people sit back! :)

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Not sure they have them available to buy, but RetroGameBoyz also has an adapter that they were working on for this

seems to be available now https://retrogameboyz.com/products/intellivision-model-1-adapter-for-retrogameboyz-intelli-stick and this does look like a possibly better universal solution for wired systems since i imagine it will be flexible enough for later era INTV variations.. 

Edited by 8bitwidgets.com

16 minutes ago, 8bitwidgets.com said:

seems to be available now https://retrogameboyz.com/products/intellivision-model-1-adapter-for-retrogameboyz-intelli-stick and this does look like a possibly better universal solution for wired systems since i imagine it will be flexible enough for later era INTV variations.. 

That is a different one and only provides the DB9 connection. They had another one they would offer for more money that had that DB9 cable but also included an additional cable that had the DB9 female connection and the standard straight header connection so you could plug your original controllers into that and then plug it into the new 9pin cables that came out of the console. It wasn't pretty as it didn't have any shrink tubing on it and the only shrink I had on hand of the size needed was my banana yellow stuff but this gives you an idea of what they sold to this particular client. Again, it was actually a two cable setup for each controller port.

This is the replacement 9pin cable installed. Basically the same thing I did on a console a few years back.

intv_cntl1_9pin.thumb.jpg.1009f1566ffce4b7c7c151c0f8bd3989.jpg

And this was the second cable they provided to basically convert the original controllers to a 9pin wired model that could be used with these installed adapters or the SVA/INTV II consoles. Again, the yellow shrink and cable ties for strain relief was added by me as they didn't have any protection on this originally.

intv_cntl1_cabled.thumb.jpg.1c018eb8f5b2071848220bb4b3c10d8d.jpg

So perhaps something similar to this but made to look a little nicer or even a Y cable like setup where you plug into the main board and on the outside cable you have both a straight header pin for plugging in the originals back into place alongside a 9pin male for using SVA/INV 2 controllers or wired to use FB controllers.

7 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

So perhaps something similar to this but made to look a little nicer

yea that's more like what i'm talking about except it would be inside of a 3D printed enclosure that you'd plug in and snap closed..  something anyone could do.. there will be a small pcb inside i'm going to have made.  

7 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

This is the replacement 9pin cable installed. Basically the same thing I did on a console a few years back.

yea since a solution exists already here for a reasonable price, I don't see myself bothering to make that.  I'm trying to fill gaps for solutions that don't exist currently.  

Similarly I'm looking to make paddles for the intellivision.  I know some existed in the past, but they were a limited run from what I can tell and my philosophy is to continue to support a product for the longer term and keep making things, not limited runs as I'd like to foster developers to explore new homebrews that could leverage new controller solutions and trust they will not some rare niche thing that few people can afford / access, lest devs be relucatant to want to make a game that requires something that can't be affordable and reliable to acquire.  

• Like 1

Lol. International shipping with Etsy is a PITA.  Check my eBay listing. I did just add it and maybe it didn’t fall under the international shipping like everything else. I will look into that. eBay should be able to do it though. Additionally, if that doesn’t work, you can always contact me directly here. Are you shippo.com 

• Like 1