IGNORED

5200 HSC Season 18 Round  6 - Galaxian

Welcome to the sixth round of the 18th 5200 HSC season.  Galaxian tied the poll but won the coin toss.  Play using the default settings (Game 0). Emulation is fine, as are custom controls. Pics preferred, but not required except for HSC wins and records.

Phuzaxeman set the current record of 37,550 points.   Beat it if you can for a bonus point.  

The ROM can be found here:

https://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-5200-galaxian_13599.html

Round ends Sunday, March 31st, 2024 @11pm EST

Standings:

phuzaxeman - 27,440

RB5200 - 24,640

Micheloni2600 - 24,540

mikey50 - 23,500

RyanWitmer - 21,910

Cafeman - 15,800

NE146 - 10,440

bemis - 10,340

jeremiahjt - 7,450

I had to use my old Atari 800Win emulator which controlled fine.  I probably have this on cart, need to check.  The programmers forgot they had a POKEY sound chip? Sounds are not good, like a beginner coder with a TIA. 

hsc 5200 galaxian 7580.png

21 minutes ago, Ryan Witmer said:

The trak-ball really does give you higher scores

Will have to give it a shot, didn't really even think about using the TB.

11,920   new score

1 hour ago, Ryan Witmer said:

Galaxian is better than Galaga, don't hate me because I'm right.

we won't hate, we will just have you gagged and beaten, stoned, and then possibly sentence you to life in the dungeon, but never hate. 😂

I dunno, I think for me, I like galaga better.

IMG_20240319_213208005.jpg

16 hours ago, Micheloni2600 said:

Late to the party this season my bad. 

Score and system w/controller provided below 😀

Hi, Micheloni2600!

One of our eagle-eyed players noted that the 0 in the left corner of your screen appears to be green (instead of the usual blue.)  A green zero would signify the game is in easy mode (using the bottom left button of the keypad to start.)  

Could you please play again with the default setting (game zero)?   If you were playing the default setting, could you perhaps play again and take a photo that more clearly shows the blue zero?

Sorry for any inconvenience... please don't let this sour you on playing!

4 hours ago, DamonicFury said:

Hi, Micheloni2600!

One of our eagle-eyed players noted that the 0 in the left corner of your screen appears to be green (instead of the usual blue.)  A green zero would signify the game is in easy mode (using the bottom left button of the keypad to start.)  

Could you please play again with the default setting (game zero)?   If you were playing the default setting, could you perhaps play again and take a photo that more clearly shows the blue zero?

Sorry for any inconvenience... please don't let this sour you on playing!

No worries I'll do another play and submit. 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2024 at 10:36 PM, Ryan Witmer said:

Galaxian is better than Galaga, don't hate me because I'm right.

Well Galaga IS Galaxian 2 after all.. both are great  :)  The one I don't like is Galaxian Pt. 3 AKA Gaplus. Never liked the sound in that game. :lol:

Anyway I'm glad this is making me play 5200 Galaxian after all these decades. I totally rejected/ignored it when I got the 5200 at launch because by that point Galaxian was old news, at least in my mind. The 5200's version is pretty interesting because the movements of the enemies aren't standard Galaxian swoops. The way they can move erratically in weird patterns, or even just hover around remind me of Nintendo's Space Firebird. I also like how you can kill enemies without even shooting if they run into the bullet in front of your ship. 

Anyway.. first try 10,440. I will try and do better later.

galaxian.jpg

Edited by NE146