IGNORED

Your top 5 best looking video game consoles of all time

On 3/19/2024 at 10:28 PM, CapitanClassic said:

Gakken Compact Vision TV Boy - Looks like a Thrustmaster controller. Its beautiful (from a non-functional standpoint).
582px-Compact_Vision_TV_Boy,_Gakken_01.p

Amazing. It's like a four-way between a telephone, cash machine, calculator and an aeroplane throttle. Immaculate design.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Throwing my two cents into this discussion.  My top 5 best looking consoles of all time (in no particular order) are:

1) Sega Genesis, Model 1 Version 1

2) Sony Playstation (PS1)

3) Atari 2600 light sixer

4) Radio Shack Tandyvision One

5) Neo Geo AES

• Like 1

Atari 5200 (when I saw that console in 1982 I thought it was the coolest looking monster of a console)

Sega Genesis Model 1 (still my all-time favorite system)

Atari 2600 6-switch wood-grain (my first video game console in the early '80's)

Odyssey 2

Atari 7800  

I do not know if I am just being an old curmudgeon, but I do not like the looks of hardly any consoles from the last 20 years. I think the original Xbox is the last console I liked the look of, save the Atari VCS 800. I like how most of the consoles from the 1970s to the mid '90s looked.

If I had to do a top 5;

1. Heavy Sixer

2. 7800

3. Genesis model 1

4. NES

5. Jaguar

• Like 2

On 4/2/2024 at 8:10 PM, SegaShooters said:

Atari 5200 (when I saw that console in 1982 I thought it was the coolest looking monster of a console)

Sega Genesis Model 1 (still my all-time favorite system)

The Atari 5200 is a sleek, sexy electronic beast for sure.

Also, the Sega Genesis Model 1 (V1) is my all-time favorite system of all time, too.

• 2 weeks later...

This is actually kinda tough. I'm gonna break this into sections, I think.

Consoles:

PS2 Fat - Always looked cool, and with everyone going for those vertical boards on their walls as modern design elements, it's somehow aged perfectly.

GameCube - Cute, iconic, and built so strong that you could probably murder someone with it while playing a game and it wouldn't skip a beat.

Sega Saturn (US) - Deceptively chunky, but a very nice looking machine, especially in black.

PC Engine - It's so cute! It's also great for traveling with. When I moved across the country, I had to leave a lot of my console collection behind, but not my PCE. Just popped it in my laptop bag.

WonderMega (Original) - I think it's the green lights for me. It's just super cool.

If the Panasonic M2 had actually come out, it'd be on this list too. That thing is gorgeous.

Computers:

Sharp X1 CZ-800 - It's sleek, it's 80's as hell, and it's RED. Looks good in silver, too, but come on, you're buying the red.

Sharp X68000 - I don't know why you'd need a computer case to have a dual tower design, but it DOES look super cool.

Atari 1200XL - I have a weakness for black and silver and nothing does it better, except maybe the next one.

TI 99/4A - See above. The expansion sidecars are also a cool (if quickly overwhelming) idea.

IBM PS/2 Model 80 - You might have to have your ceiling raised to fit it in a room, but it's a very cool form factor and has a really cool angular look.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WavyGravy said:

This is actually kinda tough. I'm gonna break this into sections, I think.

Consoles:

PS2 Fat - Always looked cool, and with everyone going for those vertical boards on their walls as modern design elements, it's somehow aged perfectly.

GameCube - Cute, iconic, and built so strong that you could probably murder someone with it while playing a game and it wouldn't skip a beat.

Sega Saturn (US) - Deceptively chunky, but a very nice looking machine, especially in black.

PC Engine - It's so cute! It's also great for traveling with. When I moved across the country, I had to leave a lot of my console collection behind, but not my PCE. Just popped it in my laptop bag.

WonderMega (Original) - I think it's the green lights for me. It's just super cool.

If the Panasonic M2 had actually come out, it'd be on this list too. That thing is gorgeous.

Computers:

Sharp X1 CZ-800 - It's sleek, it's 80's as hell, and it's RED. Looks good in silver, too, but come on, you're buying the red.

Sharp X68000 - I don't know why you'd need a computer case to have a dual tower design, but it DOES look super cool.

Atari 1200XL - I have a weakness for black and silver and nothing does it better, except maybe the next one.

TI 99/4A - See above. The expansion sidecars are also a cool (if quickly overwhelming) idea.

IBM PS/2 Model 80 - You might have to have your ceiling raised to fit it in a room, but it's a very cool form factor and has a really cool angular look.

the PS2 is by far and away the console that hits me the most in the nostalgia feel feels. I have so many good memories associated with that console. almost everyone had one of these things propped up next to a TV in their bedroom, either horizontal or vertical. It was the machine that played DVDs and hundreds of different games from 2 generations of consoles. I can't imagine the void in my life / our lives if this machine hasn't been there from 2000 to around 2008 or so. that decade was defined by the PS2's presence

• Like 1

In no particular order,...(5 seems hard...I'm going for 10)

Atari 7800 - Love it!

Red Sharp Twin Famicom

PS2 -  Was one I just kept staring at after I got it (at launch!)...

Analogue Super NT

Sega Genesis

ColecoVision - I like the way the controllers fit,  not to mention the sliding door expansion panel

PC Engine DUO-R

Game Boy - Green  (Took a very long time before I Finally got a Green one)

GBA SP - So many cool colors I have and can make with new shells, buttons etc.!

JVC X'Eye

I feel like there were plenty I left behind.  I guess if you like video games you're going to like consoles.  Anyone else consider the Evercade VS?  The black Founder's Edition looks pretty sharp and the way it lights up and the colors of the light bands change...Very slick!

I just didn't want to leave off a classic like Genesis to pick the VS...

evercade-vs-founders-2344167.jpg?tf=1200

• Like 1

There are only 3 that I can think of where I have ever thought to myself "man, I love the look of this machine."

1) Sega Genesis, original

2) Atari 2600 Vader

3) PS3 fat

I'm pretty indifferent about the aesthetics of most other consoles that I can think of.