IGNORED

Monitors

what happens when you turn auto on? do the other options also change. The TV should be sensing 480 4:3

what is your connection method and to what inputs?

The manual shows what modes are available to each input jack/connector.

might be time for reset of each section, and then a full factory reset, again outlined in the pdf manual.

Edited by _The Doctor__

15 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

what happens when you turn auto on? do the other options also change. The TV should be sensing 480 4:3

what is your connection method and to what inputs?

Nothing happens. No other options available other the wide/zoom/wide zoom.

current connection method is HDMI. TV only has pc monitor connection, RED/BLUE/GREEN, HDMI, there is no composite.

14 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

2. This Svideo to HDMI converter supports 16:9 aspect ratio, does not support 4:3 aspect ratio.

direct from the manual.

Crappy Converter.

I realise that. Do you have a recommendation for the proper one ? I'll buy it . 

2 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Any suggestions ? This is what I'm using.

20240321_171750_HDR.thumb.jpg.dea80fcd23fcc0d9c9f886e6193637e6.jpg

TEMP_20240321_171815_HDR.thumb.jpg.4b912c3336ed94314a859fa692cc6a55.jpg

While this converter has a very good S-video display for still pictures, DOS, texts and slow games, it has problems with fast action games, e.g. with Archon the players will often appear with stripes or flicker when moving on the board or when battling/fighting each other.

A better HDMI converter (in my opinion) is the McBazel ODV converter:

https://www.amazon.de/Mcbazel-Composite-S-Video-Adapter-Konverter/dp/B07WYJSSKZ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=21GE1KESAQELW&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.Opb3v9cNBv-Ii0jLZQ4972woeNFSADB_n40mlvM6f3rQUK9VgaCu6qOe-XfooroP9qZfwn0NIrWQYLMYWAQ1J3gpeUYinGsEeKRI2LTgvebIDkbo66cj1UefWI09-Xw-BDsRQOWRjx8e8eZzHykwHieOPjFWEOrClW3VWcFfq-dH7EYexuAJI4nuYBlPrmPvD7avP-c9ZNOMtnXRz2McfiKwXjhoxDYF977OdKZQV1M.tNCh_BLPZEvEEiNAo3q5Tpygfngkw6v2IYpzFcpxYm4&dib_tag=se&keywords=mcbazel+odv-composite+rca%2Fs-video%2Fypbpr+zu+hdmi-konverter&qid=1711070520&sprefix=McBazel+ODV+%2Caps%2C99&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

surely also available at amazon.com for some dollars. It has a very good picture quality (especially S-Video) and works also very good with fast action games.

NOTE: One must not connect RCA/CVBS (cinch) and S-Video at the same time!  Otherwise S-Video will produce awful dither patterns. Connect S-video only and you get a very good picture. Disclaimer: Tested only with Atari 800XL, PAL and PAL tv (but converter outputs PAL and NTSC)...

Found this converter a little cheaper at Alibaba, but atm I cannot find it there anymore.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

While this converter has a very good S-video display for still pictures, DOS, texts and slow games, it has problems with fast action games, e.g. with Archon the players will often appear with stripes or flicker when moving on the board or when battling/fighting each other.

A better HDMI converter (in my opinion) is the McBazel ODV converter:

https://www.amazon.de/Mcbazel-Composite-S-Video-Adapter-Konverter/dp/B07WYJSSKZ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=21GE1KESAQELW&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.Opb3v9cNBv-Ii0jLZQ4972woeNFSADB_n40mlvM6f3rQUK9VgaCu6qOe-XfooroP9qZfwn0NIrWQYLMYWAQ1J3gpeUYinGsEeKRI2LTgvebIDkbo66cj1UefWI09-Xw-BDsRQOWRjx8e8eZzHykwHieOPjFWEOrClW3VWcFfq-dH7EYexuAJI4nuYBlPrmPvD7avP-c9ZNOMtnXRz2McfiKwXjhoxDYF977OdKZQV1M.tNCh_BLPZEvEEiNAo3q5Tpygfngkw6v2IYpzFcpxYm4&dib_tag=se&keywords=mcbazel+odv-composite+rca%2Fs-video%2Fypbpr+zu+hdmi-konverter&qid=1711070520&sprefix=McBazel+ODV+%2Caps%2C99&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

surely also available at amazon.com for some dollars. It has a very good picture quality (especially S-Video) and works also very good with fast action games.

NOTE: One must not connect RCA/CVBS (cinch) and S-Video at the same time!  Otherwise S-Video will produce awful dither patterns. Connect S-video only and you get a very good picture. Disclaimer: Tested only with Atari 800XL, PAL and PAL tv (but converter outputs PAL and NTSC)...

Found this converter a little cheaper at Alibaba, but atm I cannot find it there anymore.

Similar Retrotink clone you can find everywhere (Aliexpress, Ebay) is the retroscaler2x. Another option is to find a 4:3 LCD TV (with S-video) for cheap in a thrift store: you shouldn't pay more than $15 or maybe $20. Of course, the bad quality conversion and/or artifacts could still be present as it varies from TV to TV and from Brand to Brand, but when I see one for $10 or so, I try my luck.

Edited by manterola

4 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

So I bought a monitor (not a TV) that has S-video input. Much, much better.

Cool. Upload some pics and tell us which make and model. I love my svideo enabled crts, although at present they aren't hooked up as my hercules svideo cable has died. 😭

• Like 1