IGNORED

RF modulator out of sync?

paulwgraber

2 minutes ago, paulwgraber said:

Is there a way to tune the RF modulator for the 5200?

Yes, you need a plastic Allen hex adjustment tool, as using a metal one will interfer with the adjustment.

4 minutes ago, paulwgraber said:

Also what do the two little dials do on the board. Just curious.

The smaller of the two, is the adjustment for the pokey, used with the test board, it is how one adjusts the machine center.

The larger one is the color adjustment. Generally used with the color bars option with a diagnostic cart to adjust the color.

These two adjustments slowly over time drift off spec. And require readjustment.

9 minutes ago, paulwgraber said:

Is the RF modulator adjustment inside the Modulator (Silver box)?

Yes. There is a small hole on the side of the box and that is where you insert the adjustment hex tool.

11 hours ago, paulwgraber said:

I have heard a couple people talking about this on utube?

Is there a way to tune the RF modulator for the 5200?

Also what do the two little dials do on the board. Just curious.

Out of curiosity, can you post photos of the screen output that you're seeing?

Well hopefully these will help.  Crazy thing is it actually looks decent when I pulled the metal case off and power it up on my work bag as seen in the picture. Yet there are times when man does it look like shit. There is a constant humming noise no matter where its placed though. tried to send a video but couldn't get it to post.

A5200.jpg

a52002.jpg

a52003.jpg

a52004.jpg

15 hours ago, paulwgraber said:

There is a constant humming noise no matter where its placed though.

That suggests a ground issue somewhere.  As for where, that would need to be tracked down by probing the board and seeing what does or does not change.

FWIW, I put about a year of on-again, off-again effort into my 5200 in order to get it running again.  It had come to me with no RF modulator (my guess is that someone either started an A/V mod and didn't finish it, or had one installed and removed it before letting it go), so there was no way to see what, if anything, it was outputting.  I mention this because if you are considering installing a UAV, keeping the RF as a display method of last resort is recommended.

Bear in mind that the UAV takes its video signals from before they're processed for RF output, so whatever's going on in the vicinity of the RF modulator shouldn't be an issue in terms of display quality.  If it is, you've got other problems that would require tracking down but that bridge can be crossed if and when it's encountered :) 

@paulwgraber The audio hum could be a ground issue as was mentioned, but it could also be due to two other things or a combo therein. It could be that the audio in addition to your RF modulator might require a little tuning on its own. And I've seen the humming also come from the poly caps for the audio starting to go bad. The power conversion kits from Console5 actually come with replacement poly caps for the audio but you stated our purchased yours from Ebay so I don't know what would come included in that case. 

The audio tuning is done in the same manner as the RF. Using a plastic hex adjustment tool, to audio tuning coil is right there just off center right of the system board standing straight up.